I'm in need of another car... so... here we go again.

Pete-M

Just had a buyer turn up to have a look at the Audi, he's coming back tomorrow to have a look in daylight but I suspect he'll buy it.So, I'm in the market for some cheap choddy wheels, but as always, I'm being fussy.That brown SD1 in the £10k thread is tempting, and there's a soft dash Rangie I can pick up for sensible money, but basically the budget is about £700 realistically, unless there's something mega interesting out there for a grand or so.So. What do I want? Something slightly cool, preferably with an unfashionably large petrol engine. Must be comfy, quiet, easy to fix and reliable. Don't mind something with no MOT as long as it doesn't need a month long weldathon. Jap stuff is out, although I'd consider a Legacy Turbo Estate or maybe even an MX-5. I like Estates, so they're a winner.What don't I want? Anything sensible.

Mr B, you're spot on with your assessment.I'd rather shove rusty aids infected needles in my eyeballs than drive an 820.I accidentally bought a 7 year old 827 SLi a few years ago (because it was FSH, low mileage, immaculate and £350). That's not a mistake I'll ever make again.Rovers stopped being good when they stopped making them with V8s. The 800 can be a very nice looking car, and as Tony Pond proved, they can go like stink. Unfortunately, they're shit.

I've just bought an Omega estate 2.5 cdx auto, well impressed. Rear wheel drive, seems very well built, all toys seem to work, and unexpectedly impressive in the snow.

The MV6 is one hell of a fun barge.
I took a bit of a punt on it [ebay, bid on the basis of phone conversation] I have a bit of soft spot for Carltons/Senators, but this is the the first Omega I've had, and I'm well impressed.

I ran a Carlton GSi 24v Auto for a year. Bloody good car, that.Mate of mine services probably the nicest Senator 24v in captivity for an old bloke who's had it from new. Gets everything it needs, last full service it had involved a new AC condensor, pump etc and four new electronic shock absorbers. That wasn't cheap, but the bloke wants it to be perfect.As a bonus for my mate, the old bloke has left it to him in his will!I've got first refusal..

I've had a Carlton 4 pot, a GSi, and a 12 valve Senator, bloody great, all of them..........for some reason the autos seem more economical at 80 than they are at 60, which is v.odd

Old lazy autos seem to have a habit of that - my 3 speed slushmatic 4.2 Sovereign is better at 75 than 60 - it's got a digital fuel computer so I can watch the green LCD carefully and get almost 27 miles out of a fiver when I'm up and moving in top :shock: Might be interested in that mk2 if nobody else is - I need something more comfortable than the Acclaim for tooling about - where is it & how much!?I've got a complete but beyond redemption 2.8 ghia estate tucked away, so I could perform an instant power & comfort upgrade!