People scare me.

Barry Cade

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

I did always wonder:  If you have to carry a spare lamp in the car, what happens if you do have a lamp failure and you swap them out.  From that point on you no longer have a spare lamp on board, so technically you are no longer legal to drive.  Does that mean you have to carry two spare lamps for every fitment?

Probably - you have to have two breath test kits for France, as you have to carry one - and if Le Fuzz make you test yourself, you still need one in the car

In Spain you need to have two warning triangles and a Hi-vis for each occupant. Plus spare glasses if you wear them.

I also legally need to carry a warning triangle on the motorbikes, but this isn't something that seems to be enforced.

I thought that the breathalyser requirement in France is no longer law?

On 11/4/2020 at 10:41 AM, Talbot said:

Did a quick poll of some of the staff where I work.  Less than 50% of people could answer what engine size they car was.  Almost no-one knew what type of brakes they have, and only one person knew what style of suspension their car has (and he's a car nut).

I work for an Engineering company.

I was going to ask people how long it was since they last checked their tyre pressures.  I didn't dare.

Same experience here. Worked in engineering since my first proper job and have probably known a handful of people that really knew their way round their cars. I’d have thought that people who design, repair and maintain machines  For a living might have some inclination to attempt work on their cars but the vast majority aren’t interested

1 hour ago, 2MB said:

Same experience here. Worked in engineering since my first proper job and have probably known a handful of people that really knew their way round their cars. I’d have thought that people who design, repair and maintain machines  For a living might have some inclination to attempt work on their cars but the vast majority aren’t interested

The old saying about the cobbler's children being the worst-shod still holds true.