Hydralastic help needed !!!!!!

Rocket88

Just driven my 1800 19 miles on rear bump stops to a garage  to pump up the suspension. He says that the Flexi hoses to the rear spheres are knackered. I can't find anyone who can supply the hoses, they just want me to send the displacers to them and have new hoses fitted. the garage who have condemned the hoses are now saying that , due to space / business, they're not prepared to remove the spheres, and have them sent for reconditioning.

This means another 19 mile drive back here, removing the spheres, and then getting the car back to them with spheres fitted so that can pump up the suspension. Anyone in Kent area that can advise /help ?

If I had my pump here, I could help, it's still stuck up in the North East due to the virus.  You can get the generic 'top up' pumps on eBay like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Hydragas-Hydrolastic-Suspension-Pump-Version-3-MGF-MINI-etc/173119147833 and a tub of this stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-Hydrolastic-Suspension-Fluid-for-Rover-British-Leyland-XHS455/233257280480 to DIY some suspension back in once you've got the hoses repaired.  Then you can trundle to the garage for a proper flush and refill of the system so comfort is restored.  Not ideal, but a solution with minimal hassle if you haven't someone local with a pump that can help you out.

Either way, hose repair means pulling the displacers.  Once it's done, the suspension should be trouble free for ages and not give you any grief.

1 hour ago, Rod/b said:

If Pete can’t help you speak to https://hydragasandhydrolasticservice.com

^^ What he said - they're excellent, they've just done my Princess' suspension.  From what he showed and explained to me the gas leaks out gradually and if it's never been regassed before it's definitely going to need more than just fluid replaced now, pumping fluid into them when they've no gas left causes them to rupture and fail internally - plus it won't ride well.  

I've just had two rear landcrab displacers fitted with new hoses by Tony Wood, the Landcrab club spares chap (spareathought.at.landcrab.net).  Or more accurately he gets someone local to him to do it.  You have to post to him, but turnaround was pretty quick.

I have to admit, as I said in the other thread it didn't look from the photos that your suspension was completely down.  Are the garage saying the hoses are actually leaking or just look knackered?

My hydrolastic pipes are joined by a rubber hose and four clips on each side. As far as I can tell, it's been like that for the last 8 years and holding pressure just fine...

IMG_20200523_163614.thumb.jpg.71bf4532579e56ef293326c3186ef781.jpg

Get one of those water testing pumps and put some fluid in it. Then you can see how well it's holding and if there are any leaks. Garage may be too weary to take it on in fear of the hoses failing if they looked perished.