Clayts' Rover 620Si - 27/1 400 miles two days, it's a good un

clayts450

Minor service of the oil and air type today

Suckysuckytendollar

post-20951-0-36855600-1548270684_thumb.jpg

Right, let's change the filter with a shiny new one from ECP then....Hang on a minute, what's this bollox ?

post-20951-0-38482300-1548270773_thumb.jpg

For fuck's sake.

ECP Gold Standard Fuckwittery as per.

Any Accent owners need an oil filter ?

It was too cold to drive another car round to ECP, would have meant another full scale defrost, so fuck it, just changed the oil. To be fair, it looks as if a change was done pretty recently as the outgoing oil was pretty goldenish, and the air filter looked to have been replaced very recently (swapped it anyway).

Other minor fettling, deactivated the radio code, plumbed in dash cam (and broke some of the very brittle plastic trim in the process, thankfully hidden from general view) and added in an FM Bluetooth Transmitter to enable me to stream from phone or play tunes from USB. Speakers sound shit, though - giffer owner must have played Motorhead at top volume or something.

I've just covered 400 miles over two days in this, a 230 round trip to see my parents in Newmarket yesterday, and then another 170 mile round trip this PM to get some bits for the 214 from a friendly chap in Harrogate.

It's a fine old bus even though the fucked power steering is a bit of a pain at low speed. Pulls well, OMGMPG none too shabby (no figures but it's used less than a tank for all 400 miles).

The only minor drama was scooting along the M18 today at 70ish when some of the external chrome trim around the A pillar decided to ping off and hang on in there on a promise. Quick stop on the hard shoulder, hammered it back in, gaffer tape, move swiftly on.

Very comfy old bus, ride very smooth, one or two annoying rattles, one whiny tyre/bearing, pulls well, stops well.

If I can somehow locate this mega rare power steering pipe, this car will be a steal.

You can take your old pipe to Pirtek and they will make something that fits.

They are on an industrial estate off meadow lane at the Colwick loop road end.

They know how to charge tho, brace yourself for £50-100.

Clean the old pipe back to bare metal. Degrease and immediately shove a bit of dum dum or blue tack or chewing gum over the hole to stem the flow.

Degrease again being careful not to disturb your gum

Mix up some Araldite and apply to pipe and over the gum.

If you can get the pipe off, even better. I repaired a power steering pipe in this way and it lasted years.

Clean the old pipe back to bare metal. Degrease and immediately shove a bit of dum dum or blue tack or chewing gum over the hole to stem the flow.

Degrease again being careful not to disturb your gum

Mix up some Araldite and apply to pipe and over the gum.

If you can get the pipe off, even better. I repaired a power steering pipe in this way and it lasted years.

I like the cut of your bodging jib, Sir - would this deffo work on a high pressure line though ?

I like the cut of your bodging jib, Sir - would this deffo work on a high pressure line though ?

The Araldite will hold it fine but you want to fully encase the pipe with it so that it creates an epoxy sleeve that is bonded to the pipe all around the pinhole leak. The surfaces need to be clean, which is why you need a bit of gum to stem the flow while it sets. It should be enough for you to test the system and pump for other leaks. Then you can get a new pipe made up by someone such as a company in Selly Oak B'ham, Stevson Motors. They are good at hydraulic and fluid lines.

Dissolved/rotten/fatigued paper cones, standard for speakers in any 90s car. They've been knackered in the last 4 cars Ive had.

Im going to replace them in the Civic as it only has 2, but the Volvo has 8... Not looking forward to that.

It's (usually) not the paper but rather the foam used in the surround. You can replace the foam, but it's not really worth it for cheap oem units. The ones in the 205 were knackered too.

• 5 weeks later...

Gave the chewing gum and Araldite suggestion a go today to bodge a MoT unfriendly power steering leak - sealed the two pinhole leaks lovely !  Gave it a good few hours to cure as I was doing front brake maintenance which took a little longer than anticipated.

However, I still have a teensy leak, and have now found another almost imperceptible pinhole, so will be back under it again tomorrow with some more Juicyfruit and epoxy. The good news is the newly discovered leak isn't likely to flood out an MoT testing station and may even fall into the advisory category.

Great suggestion, Isaac Hunt, gotta love wallet-friendly bodges.

The front brakes, however, were the usual ballache on a Ronda. One side came off fine, everything serviced lovely, done in about 20 minutes.

The offside, however, was a total fuckfest - dunno who fitted the pads last time around (not giffer, as his garage did it all I understand) but they'd well and truly jammed the inside pad in. It may well be the cause of all the noise which I thought may be a bearing or an iffy tyre. All stripped out, degunked, cleaned up, regreased and filed off edges. Hopefully that'll cure the odd sounds coming from the car.

Tomorrow, parts arrival dependant, I'll be looking at upper control arm renewal on the rears, which is a little daunting for someone with minor mechanical skills. I'm assured* it should be relatively straightforward.

Found some cheap parts on eBay that'll do to get me a MoT pass (dust covers fubared, unobtainium, have to buy the whole kaboodle). Luckily the front dust covers seem to be okay, so probably don't need swapping yet