Q platers

sierraman

Aye but I only ever drove it as a Q, as I'd had to pay the tax for that when applying. Eventually the cambelt snapped, I put a new belt on & it rattled a bit* then dropped a valve & holed a piston so well you could see the bigend with the head off. It went back to the same scrap yard half of it came from.

Insurance used to be a bit of a problem IIRC.

I think mine went up about 25% from the same car (& it was the same car!) on a normal reg.

Interesting subject and no, you don't seem to see so many now. I once bought a Standard 10 that had had a BMC 1800 engine fitted, from a local dealer. It had its original plate when I did the deal, but when I went to pick it up he'd reregistered it with a Q plate without telling me. I'd fallen in love with the car, plus there didn't seem much I could do about it other than not have it, but the Q plate always annoyed me and looked totally wrong.

Does anyone remember the days before "age-related" plates, when reregistered cars would be given an A suffix, regardless of age? This annoyed me at the time, but now when I see one at a show I find it oddly nostalgic. There's even a regular participant in the London to Brighton running an A suffix, I guess for this reason.

Just in case anyone was wondering:

粤Q is a car from YangJiang in Guangdong, home of the delicious fermented black beans you can get in Asian grocery stores.

豫Q is from ZhuMaDian in Henan.

鄂Q is from EnShi in Hubei

鲁Q is from LinYi in Shandong

川Q is from YiBin in Sichuan

云Q is from NuKiang in Yunnan

新Q is from KaShi in Xinjiang

I know you all needed to know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just reminded me I owned a Citroën acadiane which was on a q plate. I took my 2cv to a show and a chap walked up to me and said I could have it.

I pulled it out from behind his workshop and had it moved to a garage, got it registered from a q plate to the proper w suffix ( I think it was issued a q when it was imported).

Being a poor postgrad at the time I simply couldn't afford to restore another rusty Citroën, especially with no welding equipment of my own at the time. So it was scrapped. I'd love another one, but I doubt it'll happen.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

I had a Q plate oloP once. It was an A reg rebuilt into a shell from a scrappie & they said I couldn't have the reg as it was marked as scrapped. Odd that as I applied for it anyway due to how long the Q plate V5 took to arrive. I ended up with two V5s for the same car, different regs but the same shell & engine numbers etc...

An ex-colleague of mine built a Manta out of three or four he broke - 400i kit on a fastback with a red top in it, looked the absolute tits. It had a DVLA issued Q-plate style VIN etched a few places into it but in all the time I knew the car it carried E480 GVJ.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When I got the beetle close to being on the road they wanted to put it on a Q plate as it - in their opinion - had been radically altered. I had to get letters and proof from the VW owners club to confirm it was a floor pan from 1969. All this because the previous builder failed to register a replacement chassis in the early 90's and it only came to light as every thing had gone electronic.

Luckily this was around 2011 just before they started closing regional DVLA offices. I had to queue for an hour to argue with a women about why I should get an age related plate and here is the documentation that you have said is required!!

Although the letters on a number plate shouldn't matter I had put years of work into the car and I was fucked if I was having a Q plate!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Q plate oloP once. It was an A reg rebuilt into a shell from a scrappie & they said I couldn't have the reg as it was marked as scrapped. Odd that as I applied for it anyway due to how long the Q plate V5 took to arrive. I ended up with two V5s for the same car, different regs but the same shell & engine numbers etc...

Sounds like DVLAs typical approach to data integrity.

The landlord of my local has had an ex-mod Land Rover s.3 since about 1985 and up until two years ago it was on a q-plate. His insurers apparently decided they weren't going to offer cover unless he got it re-registered with a year - appropriate plate

What dome said applies.

Maybe he had another way of doing it!