LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

1 minute ago, BorniteIdentity said:

No no no. Because back when Savile was at the top of his game and Jimmy Greaves was still scoring for fun, some pervy old Priest was clocking up Pan-European miles whilst listening to Showaddywaddy on his ghetto blaster. 

Can’t wait for the great success this will be 💪👊🏻

Nothing wrong with the 1970s. Just this week I downloaded every episode of Love Thy Neighbour and told Claim_Bird to grow out a proper Life Of Brian Judith style hairy clopper.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Nothing wrong with the 1970s. Just this week I downloaded every episode of Love Thy Neighbour and told Claim_Bird to grow out a proper Life Of Brian Judith style hairy clopper.

How’s about that then. 

1 minute ago, BorniteIdentity said:

How’s about that then. 

Good idea! With Ford making a new Capri then maybe AC should release a 2024 Model 70 Yew Tree limited edition?

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

It goes without saying that cars are much safer now than back in the 1970s. If Gloria Jones had been driving a 2022 Mini Cuntryman rather than a 1972 1275 GT then Marc Bolan would today be cashing his cheque for performing at Butlins in Minehead earlier this year. 

Secondary safety is relative as it all comes down to understanding how vulnerable you are. If @LightBulbFun drives to the letter of the law and according to The Highway Code then, believe it or not, he's going to be killed or seriously injured. He has to be able to read the road and develop a sense of hazard perception that extends so far beyond what is required on the DSA theory test it has to border on Extra Sensory Perception. Being "in the right" in the event of an accident matters fuck all when the Range Rover that hit you in a collision that resulted you spending two years in Stoke Mandeville, a longer time than the length of disqualification the driver of said Range Rover had to serve. It's not enough to see the car approaching the give way junction of his left, he has to see the car concerned and make a potentially lifesaving split second decision as to whether that car is going to bother giving way to him. If it's a nearly new Audi S3 driven by a coked up scaffolder with his bird in the passenger seat then assume he's going to ignore your right of way. Things get even more trickier if the car is something like a ten year old Toyota Yaris as he'll need to make an even more involved decision. If the Yaris is being driven by a lady in her 60s who's probably got 30 years NCB then he can assume that she's seen him and will give way. On the other hand if the Yaris looks like it is being piloted by an illegal immigrant doing Just Eat deliveries Dez has to assume that the driver will be paying more attention to the Samsung stuck to the middle of the Toyota's windscreen and is likely to not to have noticed REV.

I'm not going to claim that I'm some kind of driving god, in fact I'd go so far to say that there have been times when my roadcraft would suggest that I'm unfit to drive a greasy stick up a dead pigs arse, let alone a motor vehicle! One thing I can comment on though is in my entire driving career since 1987 90% of the estimated two million miles I have driven have been without wearing a seat belt, either due to being legally exempt due to my job or due to the lack of police enforcement which was the norm back in the last century. This raises the question of who would be more likely to survive a collision, @LightBulbFun in his Model 70 wearing a belt or @warren t claim driving either a family saloon or LTI TX? It's also fair to point out that my annual mileage exceeds 50000. REV will be lucky to cover 1500 miles within the same time period. 

@High Jetter I thought my monologue was pretty valid TBH.

27 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

No no no. Because back when Savile was at the top of his game and Jimmy Greaves was still scoring for fun, some pervy old Priest was clocking up Pan-European miles whilst listening to Showaddywaddy on his ghetto blaster. 

Can’t wait for the great success this will be 💪👊🏻

1979. Notice the speeds a skilled Renault 16 pilot should be driving at. 40 mph!

My dad would never drive on the motorway - "too dangerous" and my grandfather used to stick rigidily to 70 in the outside lane - much to the chagrin of the cars backed up behind. I can particularly remember one MGB driver gesticulating wildly as he undertook us to get past on the M1. 😂Happy days.

This is the late 60's btw.

We never wore seatbelts - even though they were fitted by this date.

The cars were a Cortina 1600 and a Rover PB5 Coupe - both new.

• Haha 1

Just now, lesapandre said:

My dad would never drive on the motorway- "too dangerous" and my grandfather used to stick rigidity to 70 in the outside lane - much to the chagrin of the cars backed up behind. I can particularly remember one MGB driver gesticulating wildly as he undertook us to get past on the M1. 😂. Happy days.

This is the late 60's BTW.

The reality of pre Barbara Castle motorway driving in your Zephyr 6 is that you were more likely to die running into the rear of a side valve Ford Popular doing 35 mph at night with only one rear light working than you were to suffer death by being punted up the arse by an E Type barreling along at 130 mph.

And a lot of marginal cars simply ran their bearing when used at sustained speeds for a few hours. I can't remember breaking down ever.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

We never wore seatbelts - even though they were fitted by this date.

The cars were a Cortina 1600 and a Rover PB5 Coupe - both new.

Which meant that both the Cortina and Rover were driven with car as even a 30 mph collision with an Invicare would be painful for all involved!

My old man said imagine hitting a lump of metal with a sledge hammer hard as you can... Well at 60mph that  is what is hapening to the pistons 2000 times a minute ...

Cars don't kill people. Inexperienced and overconfident drivers strapped into a cocoon of perceived safety kill people.

Of course the imposition of Motorway speed limits were all AC Cars fault...all roads lead back to Invacar in the end - a kinda automotive two-degrees of separation.

Screenshot_20240925_220856_Chrome.jpg.413aba82eedcfafafbf79507e136eba5.jpg

1 minute ago, Christine said:

My old man said imagine hitting a lump of metal with a sledge hammer hard as you can... Well at 60mph that  is what is hapening to the pistons 2000 times a minute ...

It's fair to assume that your dad drove an E28 BMW 525e.

7 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Which meant that both the Cortina and Rover were driven with car as even a 30 mph collision with an Invicare would be painful for all involved!

I don't recall anything we had being driven particularly fast - it was me from my teens onwards who bought the fast old cars.

• Agree 1

I can remember bragging "my dad did 70mph when we went on holiday ..and we overtook 9 cars on the motorway "

Right up there with me getting to school one Monday morning announcing to all of my mates in the playground that my Dad’s Sierra has “Count them… FIVE gears”. 

You could cut the jealousy with a knife. 

7 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

I don't recall anything we had being driven particularly fast - it was me from my teens onwards who bought the fast old cars.

The main danger for @LightBulbFunwhere is that we now live in a world where it is pretty much impossible to die in an urban RTC due to modern car design therefore the average motorist now views an urban collision as only a problem for their insurance company.

3 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Right up there with me getting to school one Monday morning announcing to all of my mates in the playground that my Dad’s Sierra has “Count them… FIVE gears”. 

You could cut the jealousy with a knife. 

Well MY dad's getting a Datsun with ELECTRIC WINDOWS so beat that!

• Haha 1

My mates dad had a spanking mk3 gxl 'tina ..My dad would never have a Ford .." rubbish "  He then got another poxy  new  austin 1800 . I was gutted .. AND  only a single carb !

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Christine said:

My mates dad had a spanking mk3 gxl 'tina ..My dad would never have a Ford .." rubbish "  He then got another poxy  new  austin 1800 . I was gutted .. AND  only a single carb !

FFS dad! At least get an 1800S!

• Haha 1

Exactly....cunt , i was laughing stock

It comes to something when even the lad in your class who has to wear leg calipers takes the piss out of you.

• Haha 2

That was Stewart .. he had a twisted spine too   ,caliper and  a chest cage  thing . Actually , he was an  ok kid  ..  probably got a sexy bird and made a fuck ton of money .Intelligent and hard working , despite his pain 

• Like 2

That was Stewart .. he had a twisted spine too   ,caliper and  a chest cage  thing . Actually , he was an  ok kid  ..  probably got a sexy bird and made a fuck ton of money 

In my class at school the crippled dunce was called Warren and he's now skint!

• Haha 3

I think that we're missing the obvious elephant in the room by comparing the dangers of driving an Invarare 70 in modern traffic with a Morris Minor. If we want a modern safety benchmark then we should look no further than the road legal quad bike.

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/24098796.mums-tribute-princess-died-birkenhead-quad-bike-crash/

2 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Whilst I agree with what everyone is saying it's LBF's life to do with as he pleases and you're probably all just making him even more determined

Are you willing to put your money were your mouth is and publicly quote a cash figure on here of how much that you'll throw into the  @LightBulbFun Go Fund Me if/when he ends up paralysed after a non fault accident with an Uber Prius?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No!  Like I said, I agree with what you're saying but he's not going to listen.  He's an adult and you're just making him more determined.  Your conscience and everyone else's should be clear