Shit car delivery turns into shit car collection.

cobblers

My nan is in Rotherham.

She's got a MK3 Fiesta in Wedgewood Blue. It starts easily EVERY FUCKING TIME and gets her about but it's had most of the corners stoved in going up and down her mega narrow drive and hasn't been serviced or gone over 40mph in ten years. Inside it's actually quite clean, outside it's not nice and has been MOT welded a few times. It's a proper giffer car. Tested for about 6 months but really not worth much.

Last week she decided to climb on a wonky ladder to paint her fence and fell off it buggering her shoulder up so the fiesta is of absolutely no use to her cos it's not got PAS. TBH I can't believe she's soldiered on with it as long as she has now, shes 78!

She needs a small car that can take her a mile down the road to Asda once a week - The smaller the better. Budget is about £350 tops because that's all I can afford and she's got nowt.

Anyway, if you can bring a halfway decent small boring car with PAS and a decent MOT over here, you can literally DRIVE AWAY in her mk3 fiesta! AND I'll even pay you for the small boring PAS car. A 106/micra or whatever would be ace. No Kas unless you can jack them up without crunch noises cos I've nowhere to weld owt.

As long as you don't go over 40MPH the fiesta would get you anywhere in the world probably.

I've not got driving other vehicles cover on my insurance and TBH I'm busy as owt lately so I can't really go and collect anything myself.

• Like 4

The Shadow has a Corsa B auto which is nearly as old but hasn't done too many miles and looks solid.  He picked me up from the station in it and it drives well enough.

Not certain about the carbon effect roof but if shes as short as my nan was then she won't notice.

I imagine someone will spend a day running around for you to claim a CVH engined prize,  I'm half tempted to myself which is silly when I have 4 cars and one proper parking space.

• Like 1

I can highly recommend these. I bought a red H reg 1.1 Popular Plus as a stop gap car in 2014 expecting to be thoroughly bored of it and expecting to get shot of it asap.

I only sold it a year later as a work colleague needed a cheap car quick and I had the Princess to drive and the Talbot to get on the road.

I was surprised at how fun the Fiesta was to drive, also how comfortable it was and even with only four gears it wasn't noisy on the motorway, plus it drank little. The only problems I had were that the keys became worn and replacement keys and locks seemed impossible to get hold of and for some reason it went through three brake light switches! 

I wouldn't mind another in the future.

The Shadow has a Corsa B auto which is nearly as old but hasn't done too many miles and looks solid. He picked me up from the station in it and it drives well enough.

Not certain about the carbon effect roof but if shes as short as my nan was then she won't notice.

I imagine someone will spend a day running around for you to claim a CVH engined prize, I'm half tempted to myself which is silly when I have 4 cars and one proper parking space.

That one sold.

saxo2.jpg

MOT April I think next year. Power steering and only done 39,000 (I'll double check) from new. Has a dent on the n/s/f wing but a cracking little car.

That saxo is absolutely perfect. Anyone fancy fetching it over? If you don't want a mk3 fiesta then I'd happily pay someone's juice/train fares/lunch and drop em back off at the station etc.

Well if you give me a date ill make sure he is free. Failing that ill get another mate instead but that would mean using kia. Ill try get the most economical of vehicles at the time to lower the fuel costs.

Thanks, this evening or today sounds do-able. What's the script with the Fiesta, will it make back to Chester ok?

Thanks, this evening or today sounds do-able. What's the script with the Fiesta, will it make back to Chester ok?

only at 40mph... a good rag back may help it though. or it'll explode. place bets now...

• Like 2

when I picked up my R reg 1.4 zx it hadn't moved in 4 months, nor gone much over 45 in the years before I don't think. on the test drive I pulled out of the blokes lane and onto a 90mph road, fuck me I thought we were gonna die!

was fine after a few days of nailing it everywhere, never felt much slower than my 1.9td in the end, although not as nippy

tldr pick it up, warm it up and put yer foot down

• Like 2

Hopefully it's happening next weekend now - bub was poised and ready to do four 2 hour trips over the peak district to shuffle cars about,  starting at 5pm! Mega appreciation that someone would go out of their way like that, I get flipping anxiety if I'm not home for 8pm on a sunday.

Anyway I couldn't really have him do all that in one day, and my nan was a bit freaked out by it all. In her defence I half mentioned swapping her car in the middle of last week and then today rang her up and told her that a man was coming to take the car that she's owned for about 10-12years away and she was a bit taken aback and wanted to hold off for a bit.

It's probably for the best really, I'll pop over in the week and make sure theres oil and water and air in the fiesta etc. Cavcraft LLC should be coming over next weekend with the Saxo, I've been looking for the tools I made for tensioning a cambelt on a TU - I had a 8mm sump plug key ground down and a bit of bar you hung a 2l pop bottle off to get the tension perfect.

• Like 3

It was all supposed to be cracking off today - Bub was gonna come over and drive various cars for miles and miles. I had my reservations, but I did think the fiesta was "mostly alright" and in my head I'd given it a good look over about 6 months ago. But 6 months in my head was actually probably over two years because it's gone downhill!

I could only get down this morning to have a good look round the car. I got there and yeah, it started up perfect after being stood about 6 weeks. I backed it out of the garage and got the bonnet open to have a nose round. The radiator is knackered. It's ready to pop - the end tanks are hanging off. It's not actually lost any water but I think this is probably only down to the fact that my nan never really drives far so it never builds any pressure up.

TOomPZU.jpg

I left it ticking over for ages while I looked over the rest of the car and chatted to my nan etc and in it's defence, even when the temp gauge was right up high it didn't leak.  But just look at it! On top of that the main lead from the alternator to the starter is well ropey, so I could only get 4 amps charge through it, so if you had the blowers and lights on you'd run out of electricity after about half an hour.

I really couldn't let bub drive this with his lad for two hours - He's got RAC/AA cover but I didn't want him to get stung sitting for hours at the side of a motorway or something so I had to call it off.

Turns out that the young lad from over the road from my mums house has got himself a flatbed transit and is doing recoveries, so he's going over to pick the saxo up tomorrow. I'll try and flog the fiesta to cover that.

• Like 1