Renault Clio

TRW

I've been asked by a contact of mine to keep my eyes out for a small engine Renault Clio for his 17 year old son who has just passed his test.

Only things I have been told is that Red is the preferred colour and that it has a few months test left. Also nothing in perfect condition and not a 'hen house' either (doesn't want much, does he!). I'm told £400 is the top end of budget.

I know nothing about Renaults, so any input would be very welcome. 

Thanks

TRW.

I had one as my first car (admittedly new). Wife had one at a couple years old. Not bad little things. Given the age, I'd much rather have one of these than the PSA attempt at multiplexing that went on the 206.

Issues off the top of my head:

• 1.2 16v engine is supposed to have tappets checked. Often don't get done. This leads to burnt valves and misfires. Cheap clios with misfires probably have this problem. Coil packs are an integrated affair with these. These engines often have a stupid security box on the ecu connector. This leads the loom to wear down and cause a whole manner of problems. Most have been binned by now. Engine runs out of puff above 50mph.
  • 1.4 16v engine - strongest engine of them all. Coil packs give issues, but per cylinder, easy to replace and cheap enough now.
  • 1.6 16v engine - pretty quick, but dephaser issues (see Scenic/Megane/Laguna threads on here, etc). Based on the 1.4, but bored out and VVTi (Dephaser).
  • Diesels - avoid. Their fuel pumps self implode, chewing up the internals and spitting them into the injectors. Requires new pump, injectors, fuel rail and a good flushing of the fuel tank. Usually writes them off. Saying that, tax is cheap and they do silly MPG (>50-60MPG). 3 power levels, 60bhp, 80bhp, 105bhp.
  • Wouldn't bother with an auto. 1.2 auto is a robotic box, 1.4 auto is a slush (AL4 ... 'nuff said).
Other issues:
  • Sunroofs leak. Easy fixes around for this though.
  • Body computer fails. Usually causes the indicators to not work, or electric windows to fail. Pricey to put right with a replacement, or a cheap ECU+UCH+Key set from eBay and change the lot.
  • Airbag light. Either the airbag connector on the bottom of the seats - chop connector and solder directly is usually what is done to fix permanently. The airbag ECU lives under the cup holders in the front, so spilt beverages can soak that too (airbag ECUs can be swapped out directly though, with no coding afaik).
  • Keys/immobilizer can cause issues. Almost always from broken solder joints in key. Loads of cheap eBay repair people to fix if this happens though.
  • Oh red paint is likely to have been faded badly at this point.
  • ABS light is usually caused by a tooth ring on the hub. Spares can be had from ebay for a tenner or so. Make sure you get the right number of teeth on the ring. Most garages will have seen and know how to fix this. DIY'able.

General thoughts:

• Drive well. The tracking on mine and the one that my wife had was forever getting knocked out.
  • Well specced. All but the very base levels get electric front windows, electric mirrors, heated mirrors, ABS, PAS, remote locking. Higher spec added aircon/climate/auto lights+wipers
  • Loads of special specs like Billabong, Extreme, etc - most are base level with fancy seats and added options (like auto lights,etc).
  • Don't generally suffer from rust if not been in an accident. Renault by this point have mastered rust-proofing.
  • Easy to work on, engine bays are spacious enough for the smaller engines.
Pretty solid little things. I wouldn't hesitate recommending one if its been relatively well looked after and runs alright.

There will be other things, but this is all I can think of from the top of my head right now.

• Like 3

I would check both ends of Renault linkages, they wear at gearstick end too. A couple of well positioned cable ties have lasted two years on my modern(now six year old) master van. Not big mileage either.

*HOLD PRESS*

In the true spirit of Autoshite, I have bought what he asked me for. Unseen. Also, it's the wrong colour, complete with go faster stripes (panel damage) for £150.

I hope he likes it or I am stuck with a £150 Renault I don't want.

It looks like this but worse, much worse - 

post-17731-0-40479400-1474575085_thumb.jpg

Its FUCKING HORRENDOUS!

Just what we want on here. I expect a new 17 year old member to register in the next few days.

• Like 2

My first memory of a 'new' car was one of these. A mates dad got an orangey one on an S plate, and fuck me it looked lovely to (1998, so 17 years ago) 12 year old me (fuckin ell). Modern, fast (it probably wasnt) etc. Stepmum had one second hand on a V plate when dad lost his lettings agent job and had to give his company car back, 5 of us in it wasn't fun.

Amys friend had one before it got cubed due to lack of tax. Back when I was a detailing world bore (really want to get back into that) I cleaned the inside for her... http://detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298887 I drove it from home to my mums and it wasn't a bad steer (1.5d) tbh. Utterly fucked, so not a great benchmark but it pulled ok, was chuckable into corners etc. Not quite sure I'd actually own one, but for a first car I can see the appeal.

FFS been reading the forums, now I need to spend money again. Luckily I don't have any...

I'm a member over at DW as well, and have to limit my exposure to it as it seems every time I start looking at threads there's another fantastic new product that I MUST have! :)

*HOLD PRESS*

In the true spirit of Autoshite, I have bought what he asked me for. Unseen. Also, it's the wrong colour, complete with go faster stripes (panel damage) for £150.

I hope he likes it or I am stuck with a £150 Renault I don't want.

It looks like this but worse, much worse -

Ghastly. My life is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!.JPG

Its FUCKING HORRENDOUS!

Just what we want on here. I expect a new 17 year old member to register in the next few days.

Bargain! Same colour as my wife's one she had. Iirc it's a extreme (nothing extreme about them) special edition. Does it have auto lights and wipers?

At least the colour is different to the black, white, silver that most moderns come in... (I personally like the colour tbh)

I'm a member over at DW as well, and have to limit my exposure to it as it seems every time I start looking at threads there's another fantastic new product that I MUST have! :)

it was 5 minutes, I now need glass sealant, £25 screenwash and a dodo juice buff daddy

Bargain! Same colour as my wife's one she had. Iirc it's a extreme (nothing extreme about them) special edition. Does it have auto lights and wipers?

At least the colour is different to the black, white, silver that most moderns come in... (I personally like the colour tbh)

Yep its got auto lights and wipers.

Like a complete Spaz I bought a replacement alloy for it and I bought the wrong style.

Fuck it, that's the least of this cars problems.

I HAT Renaults. I'm sticking to Rovers.