Hull. fishy chod.....

sloth

having grown up in hull, and having seen WW aka the artist formerly known as shitpeas thread on "the toon" i thought i'd show you my home town.

we alight at hulls paragon station. our transport here from that there london was this:

43104_in_Hull_station.jpg

an intercity 125, this its first visit to the amazing architecture of paragon, which is still ale to handle steam locos...

outside paragon, we are greeted by this hub-bub:

ParagonSquareHull.jpg

the station is the building on the left with the clock. its original victorian facade lost to a lump of archishite, later demolished. to the right the cenotaph, in the middle the hammonds store. built after the war, it stands on the original site. the carpark to the left is the royal station hotel.  from here we walk past the cenotaph down jameson st, just between the  brick building and hammonds.

jameson st, once bustling main road, is now a pedestrianised street with more pubs than shops. but, look above the neon and plastic shop fronts, and the architecture is still there, and, considering how decimated hull was by the luftwaffe, pre ww2. infact most dates back to late victorian times.

9449623.jpg

in this shot we are looking back towards the station.  looks like old mate in the jaaaag can't wait and has an appoinment with his tailor. the old money next to him in their riley/wolseley are busy filling thier pipe, finally the kool kids in the 200e/comsul are busy listening to the latest from the beatles.....

from the above pic we turn left, onto king edward st and walk down to queen victoria square. looking back ....

1475874099_796f59e598_z.jpg?zz=1KingEdwardStreet1962 by Mark Dyson, on Flickr

not too busy, 2 of hulls wonderfull hull corporation buses drop passengers.  not much else going on really. must be sunday....

i struggled to find a 70s ish pic so heres the reason its queen vic square. 

townhallhull.jpg

shes sat atop some public bogs....... :D

next we wander down to whitefriargate. one of the oldest streets in hull. 

9449655.jpg

the hull city hall and queen vic square are in the distance. this is now pedestrianised. unless you own a nova saloon and are picking up drunk mates at 2am...

anyway. from here we walk back to paragon and jump on one of these:

21997935.6aa84f40.640.jpg?r2

at one time hull had the newest fleet of buses in operation anywhere in the uk. there are 2 companes. the hull corporation, seen here in blue and white, and east yorkshire motor services, or eyms. in the background in red and white. they usually ran vr2's and nat2's,.

we head out of the station onto anlaby road.:

9449593.jpg

past cornelius parrish: 

9880803.jpg

BL and later austin rover. it became welptons and  a rover dealer till its demise around 2002.  

to moores cars. purveyors of kwalitee chod. 

9880821.jpg

after a test drive of the mondeo, we jump back on the bus and head back to town.

Always good to see how towns used to (should) look with proper traffic. That tractor looks interesting as well as out of its comfort zone...The big Farina being seen off by the Jag is a Vanden Plas Princess, looks like a 4 litre to me but only guessing that by the colour scheme. Strange how MGBs (in that colour shot) add an almost contemporary feel to a view which is only given away by the age of other cars....

finally some random shots.....

town centre carpark. hull left many bomb sites for 40 odd years before anything was done with them. 

9449605.jpg

next we have the ab car group, purveyors of rootes chod.

9880834.jpg

just up road is the new maternity hospital taking shape....

9880835.jpg

shame the traffics bad......

9880853.jpg

hull_corporationtramway_resources1977pie

moskovich?

Yes, Moskvitch; next to a Fiat or Polski Fiat 125. DS in the background too I think.

Dad had a Moskvitch just like that. It wasn't very good, but it was the only OHC car he ever had.

Nice thread. I like Hull a lot. My late Mum's family are from Hull, I lived in Cottingham as a kid (I was born in Beverley).

I've always wondered and have never been able to find out, if the AB motor group selling Rootes products is the same AB motors selling Fiats in 1985 when they supplied my Panda 45CL when it was new...It's a different location as AB Fiat were on Boothferry road on the crossroads, near the old Boothferry Park football ground - the dealership is now a carpet shop.

When I was a kid my Gran gave me her collection of pictures (I think she got them from a journalist/photographer friend) taken of the bomb damage in Hull. It's said that Hull was the most bombed city outside London during the war...I put all the pictures in an album and over the past few years I collected pre-war postcards to compare and contrast. It really was an architecturally beautiful place before the war...

When looking at these old postcards, I've always thought the Prudential building in Queen Victoria square looked amazing...

4270200154_2bf28d327b_o.jpg

King%20Edward%20St%20%5B800x600%5D-500x5

Copy%20of%20TSP.3%20jpeg.jpg

hull actually recived more tonnage of ordinance than any city, yet came second to london for damage per square mile. 

having asked my uncle about ab motors, he says it is the same company, it later became jordans...

if you can post pics of hull please do, i love my amateur history.

It was Jubilee Garage that became Jordans and was part of the Rix Group...AB just died out...

They drive past AB just after the 3 minute mark...they pass Cornelius Parrish too, and the dealership that I always remember as Crystal Ford...

as they drive past parrishes, they look down wilberforce st. on the left is a morris traveller. thats my uncles car, my grandparents house is the first on the left. ;)

• Like 3

Also my home town. The dealership on Anlaby road that became Welptons was an Austin-Rover dealer for some time under the flag of T.C.Harrison. We purchased a 6 year old Montego Countryman Estate from them in 1996 - H490 AAT - which unfortunately went on to be broken into 4 times and eventually stolen (after the twats at Auto Cellulosers completely disabled the aftermarket immobiliser system after the first unsuccessful theft attempt). It was used in a robbery on Beverley road and had 600 miles added to the clock before being dumped, written off by Dixons who reckoned it could never be roadworthy again, buyback was refused and then spotted a year later at Washington Services still on the road.

I can still remember walking up to the car in Dixon's compound - it was FILTHY. Both Dad and I cried. Mum didn't.

6National Autocentres now occupy the T.C.Harrison building, and recently were unable to find the drain plug on my ex. 2.0v6 Rover 75. Muppits.

• Like 3

Didn't Sid Welpton end up as a Rover dealership down near Hessle foreshore, near Richard Dunston ship repairs...???

Didn't Sid Welpton end up as a Rover dealership down near Hessle foreshore, near Richard Dunston ship repairs...???

Yes - Welptons was always there on Livingstone Road while I was growing up. I can remember calling in there for a replacement oil cap for my Dad's 820 SLi and there were rows and rows of brand new unregistered 75s. That's when I decided I wanted one.

I think Welptons took over T.C.Harrison and had it as a second site for a while until Rover went bust and Minstergate / Marshall's Honda took over the Livingstone road site.

AB Motors used to have an orange 500 and a beige 600 in the showroom. They were sold off sometime in the mid 80's.  A few years ago, we had a temp come into work and she was a relative of either A or B.  She brought me in a picture of the 600 which I have safely filed away so, sorry, no pics.

This thread reminded me to upload this video that I've been meaning to share for ages.  It's a recording I made in 1996 on the drive from Hessle to Hull Paragon Station.  Follows some of the same route as the old video.

Various 80s and early 90s chod to enjoy.

• Like 3

At about 7.45 there is a rolling road place. About 20 years ago, I was *restoring* a Fiat 850 coupe. The bonnet was like lacework and it was suggested to me to go there and ask for an Italian guy who was a master at metal repairs.  I took it in and collected it next day and it was perfect  -  he charged me next to nothing too.

A couple of years later the local paper was full of a story about an Interpol raid on suspected international drug smuggling/mafia activities.  Guess who was pulled in?

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 03/01/2016 at 14:59, Roverageous said:

Yes - Welptons was always there on Livingstone Road while I was growing up. I can remember calling in there for a replacement oil cap for my Dad's 820 SLi and there were rows and rows of brand new unregistered 75s. That's when I decided I wanted one.

I think Welptons took over T.C.Harrison and had it as a second site for a while until Rover went bust and Minstergate / Marshall's Honda took over the Livingstone road site.

Sorry for the thread bump. I believe  Welptons were originally on Hessle Square opposite Turner and Sellers who were a Ford agent years ago

53 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Sorry for the thread bump. I believe  Welptons were originally on Hessle Square opposite Turner and Sellers who were a Ford agent years ago

thanks for the thread bump !

Some early morning Nostalgia for me of my home City . Shame not all of the photos are viewable anymore. I enjoyed the 90s drive video especially the last few minutes going to the station car park. Dad used to be a bus driver and then I used to park around there when I drove into town to save the city centre traffic and car park fees !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

thanks for the thread bump !

Some early morning Nostalgia for me of my home City . Shame not all of the photos are viewable anymore. I enjoyed the 90s drive video especially the last few minutes going to the station car park. Dad used to be a bus driver and then I used to park around there when I drove into town to save the city centre traffic and car park fees !

No problem, I agree it's a shame some of the photos aren't viewable any more

Also nice to hear some of the names of the car garages I used to know as a car mad kid

Others not mentioned I can remember are Crystal Ford, Arncliffes (Lada?), Maudsons (Skoda) , AFG (Nissan, became JCT600) , Walton motors (Reliant), Waverley (Jag), Trenton (Renault ). I can't remember the Vauxhall but think it might have been Thompson.   And of course Dixon's and DC Cook

As someone above said Jubilee did become Jordans, for a short time in I think the late 80s early 90s they used both names as I remembered the radio jingle on Viking FM (Jordan, Jubilee, The power behind motoring in Humberside). I remember them having the Peugeot franchise but did they have Fiat too

As for TC Harrison I remember the dealer letting me have a cheeky test drive on a side street of a Rover Metro mum was test driving when I was 16 , although she bought a K11 Micra Wave instead 

My Dad still talks about Winter's scrapper ( He calls it Fred Winters I assume its the same one) Every time there is a problem with his car he jokes he's going to have to give Fred a call 

3 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

Also nice to hear some of the names of the car garages I used to know as a car mad kid

Others not mentioned I can remember are Crystal Ford, Arncliffes (Lada?), Maudsons (Skoda) , AFG (Nissan, became JCT600) , Walton motors (Reliant), Waverley (Jag), Trenton (Renault ). I can't remember the Vauxhall but think it might have been Thompson. 

As someone above said Jubilee did become Jordans, for a short time in I think the late 80s early 90s they used both names as I remembered the radio jingle on Viking FM (Jordan, Jubilee, The power behind motoring in Humberside). I remember them having the Peugeot franchise but did they have Fiat too

As for TC Harrison I remember the dealer letting me have a cheeky test drive on a side street of a Rover Metro mum was test driving when I was 16 , although she bought a K11 Micra Wave instead 

My Dad still talks about Winter's scrapper ( He calls it Fred Winters I assume its the same one) Every time there is a problem with his car he jokes he's going to have to give Fred a call 

The Vauxhall garages in Hull were Dixons back in the 90s, there was the one on Priory Park, now Evans Halshaw and one opposite Asda on Mount Pleasant which Evans Halshaw closed a few years ago.  The branch of Evans Halshaw Ford née CD Bramall née Sanderson and may well have been Crystal Ford before that I'm not sure also closed a few years ago and has subsequently been demolished recently 

8 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

The Vauxhall garages in Hull were Dixons back in the 90s, there was the one on Priory Park, now Evans Halshaw and one opposite Asda on Mount Pleasant which Evans Halshaw closed a few years ago.  The branch of Evans Halshaw Ford née CD Bramall née Sanderson and may well have been Crystal Ford before that I'm not sure also closed a few years ago and has subsequently been demolished recently 

I had forgotten Sanderson/CD Brammel.  I'm pretty sure Crystal was in Mount Pleasant 

• Like 2