Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - A Grand Day Out Gromit.

Six-cylinder

I'm still recovering from inhaling several Passats worth of NoX from that thing!

Whilst raping the leathers from the E36 Cab, it was running on light choke for 10-20 mins and drifting into the BMW. Felt pretty odd driving home.  :-D

That E36 cab is no more.

Why did you not ask for the Vitesse to be moved!

That E36 cab is no more.

Why did you not ask for the Vitesse to be moved!

I found the burble of the straight six soothing.

• Like 2

There seem to be a lot of creases in that hood.

Ben

I said that to the trimmer he gave me the line as if he was a tailor, it will ride up with ware! Or in this case tighten up as the vinyl shrinks.

Now he could be he is right because the next job I am going to give him is the hood replacement on my MX5 because it has shrunk and is now impossibly hard to put back up!

Do you think the plates are the orginal dealer fitted ones?

Quite probably. I've had couple of cars from 1971/72 with those Hills plates on.

Bottom of plate has

HILLS

BS AU 145 1967

That first draft of the British standard was published 31 Oct 1967, the next revision being BS AU 145a which was publish 11 Sep 1972.

Anyway, they might still have the label on the reverse:

4531953883_b53cbe9f2c_z.jpg

Reflective Safety Plates label 2 by E Honda, on Flickr

• Like 1

Once again drink and E bay don’t mix.

It started with C1am sending me a brochure and Mrs Cyl seeing it. Next Mrs Cyl expressed a wish that I buy her a certain car.

Last Friday night I got home from a beer festival and curry and it was its due time,

but Mrs Cyl was having second thought that it might not be the model it was described as, nor the condition we imagined and reduced her max she would pay. Now this is where the alcohol kicks in, I reassured Mrs Cyl that the DVLA matched the description and if she did not bid a bit more she would never get it!

So there we are we won it for double what I think it should go for.

Because the car was described as brakes locked on I knew I needed help recover it. I asked a friend who runs a professional vehicle transport business to do the job for me and because he is a long time friend included him in trying to get the brakes freed off. Three wheels were locked, one released easily, one with some effort and we could not get the last rear one to unlock on the sellers drive so trolley jacked and skidded the car onto the trailer.

Unloading it we wondered if we would have to tow it off but disconnected the winch cable and tilted the trailer bed and the car gently rolled off on its own safely stopping having cleared the trailer. It now roles freely.

Yes it is a 1984 series one MG Metro (clever dickey C1am got that!) 30k one owner not run for a number of years. An inspection revealed the body is in great shape, yes some odd rust spots but nothing major. The interior is great but the original owner did not like the red carpets so had them replaced with grey, the good news the red carpets came with it hardy used. The BIG disappointment is the engine is seized.

It has gone to my favorite garage to return to the road but I did not know there was an engine problem when they agreed to take it on, so that is going to be a difficult conversation.

post-4787-0-77944400-1458927333_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-66502400-1458927337_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-79302400-1458927341_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-14789800-1458927346_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-13814900-1458927350_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-47055800-1458927354_thumb.jpg

Looks like it had quite a send off! I suspected an A-series metro of some sort, looks solid and in a very period colour too. Looking forward to having a look at shitefest if its around.

It was inevitable seeing as you've wanted one for a while, so the booze just helped you along a bit!

The MG 'M' club do the side graphics for these, not cheap though and I'm sure there's plenty else to sort first.

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/mgm/decals.html

Thanks, the nutty first lady owner had the graphics removed as well.

Once again drink and E bay don’t mix.

It started with C1am sending me a brochure and Mrs Cyl seeing it. Next Mrs Cyl expressed a wish that I buy her a certain car.

Last Friday night I got home from a beer festival and curry and it was its due time,

but Mrs Cyl was having second thought that it might not be the model it was described as, nor the condition we imagined and reduced her max she would pay. Now this is where the alcohol kicks in, I reassured Mrs Cyl that the DVLA matched the description and if she did not bid a bit more she would never get it!

So there we are we won it for double what I think it should go for.

Because the car was described as brakes locked on I knew I needed help recover it. I asked a friend who runs a professional vehicle transport business to do the job for me and because he is a long time friend included him in trying to get the brakes freed off. Three wheels were locked, one released easily, one with some effort and we could not get the last rear one to unlock on the sellers drive so trolley jacked and skidded the car onto the trailer.

Unloading it we wondered if we would have to tow it off but disconnected the winch cable and tilted the trailer bed and the car gently rolled off on its own safely stopping having cleared the trailer. It now roles freely.

Yes it is a 1984 series one MG Metro (clever dickey C1am got that!) 30k one owner not run for a number of years. An inspection revealed the body is in great shape, yes some odd rust spots but nothing major. The interior is great but the original owner did not like the red carpets so had them replaced with grey, the good news the red carpets came with it hardy used. The BIG disappointment is the engine is seized.

It has gone to my favorite garage to return to the road but I did not know there was an engine problem when they agreed to take it on, so that is going to be a difficult conversation.

how wonderful to see the local community taking an intrest,or working out how many they can fit in it.great car though.

how wonderful to see the local community taking an intrest,or working out how many they can fit in it.great car though.

They is ISLAMS m8 chek 4 boms and renolt 20

What a fantastic drive my CX is now, today I took it for a 60 mile run. It is quick enough and the auto gearbox works perfectly, all the things that have annoyed me have been sorted like the exhaust manifold blow, steering not reducing its assistance at speed, spheres, heater stuck on hot etc. Then there is the ride I say it is the smoothest riding car we have coping best with the broken roads of North Buckinghamshire. Mrs Cyl disagrees she says her Xantia V6 Exclusive still pips it!

The picture is outside my Mothers nursing home today.

post-4787-0-74503500-1459105758_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It looked like there was a lot of fun going on this weekend with Johnk, JohnDeere and trigger collections. So imagine if I could buy a Volvo 740GLE Estate Auto 140k with Dec MOT and good running order for £150ish, no nor did I really. I was only biding for the thrill!

Anyway off to Ramsgate Friday!

post-4787-0-23484700-1459195656_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-04974300-1459195660_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-06530100-1459195664_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-21647700-1459195668_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-49958400-1459195671_thumb.jpg

It looked like there was a lot of fun going on this weekend with Johnk, JohnDeere and trigger collections. So imagine if I could buy a Volvo 740GLE Estate Auto 140k with Dec MOT and good running order for £150ish, no nor did I really. I was only biding for the thrill!

Anyway off to Ramsgate Friday!

Candy? Baby?

More car stuff this morning my friend has evicted the silver Rover 100GSi because he has bought another race car and needs the space, so for now it has gone to our field. The fate of this car is still uncertain it starts on the button, runs and drives but needs MOT work and worse still it gets hot quickly. We think it needs a new cylinder head.

Next plan was to collect my friends new race car, normally I would tow any car with the Range Rover but it was a big hassle to get it back from the garage who are sorting the communications stuff, so I decided to give the Xantia V6 a go in spite of the fact it would be towing its max permissible load 1500kg. I need not of worried it was perfect, being a 200bhp V6 petrol there were no power issues and it was it was stable and rode well with no pitching from the trailer.

post-4787-0-49830900-1459361054_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-05138400-1459361059_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-45874700-1459361063_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have been on a collection to Near Cromer in Norfolk today and as Mrs Cyl has been using the Xantia with tow bar this week I decided to give the Alfa 156 with tow bar a run and did 380 trouble free miles.

I parked for a photo opportunity on the cliff top with the sea behind but when I looked more carefully the cliff was falling away and I made a hasty retreat!

OK the collection was only a 8x4 trailer so no engine!

post-4787-0-50052300-1460070436_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-81835800-1460070463_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-29986700-1460070478_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-96753400-1460070502_thumb.jpg

Time passes so quickly, it is now over 4 years since my red Citroen CX 2400 I/E Pallas has been on the road.

I managed to set fire to it when un burnt petrol spat back and ignited and was lucky only the HT leads got scorched but I damaged the grill and bonnet shutting it to quell the fire while I found the hose pipe.

Last year I changed the HT leads and my friend helped me, we found there was no power to the coil, hence no spark! My friend said he would come and help me again but he is just too busy so I have admitted defeat and booked the Auto Electrician for Tuesday.

Trouble is the cover had blown off and the car was filthy, so today I gave it up clean up so the Auto Electrician thinks it’s worth fixing!

post-4787-0-81167600-1460319162_thumb.jpg