Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June

Six-cylinder

I thought you were going to put the boat in the canal before it was filled with water :)

It has been done before... at the other end of the Buckingham canal, in 2013...

post-22262-0-40902800-1531234816_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Does any body know there way round Mercedes W124 heater controls?

This morning my Auto sparks came calling, he poked and prodded the heater valve on my W124 200TE and announced the problem was the voltage it was receiving and not the valve itself. It seems if you start the engine with the heater on cold it will stay on cold, but once you move it to hot it will stay activated even if the temp wheels are turned to back to min. The system is designed to fail heater on.

He is asking if can I provide a more comprehensive wiring diagram than the Haynes manual and where is the Control unit located?

Can anybody find me a heater control unit part number or maybe lend me a control unit to try? 

If you are thinking why does the Auto sparks not just get on with it, I can't afford just to send it to be fixed so after 20 plus years friendship he will help me as long as I do the background stuff with a minimal cost and lots of tea.

Picture is today looking a bit sad standing around to get you sympathy vote.

post-4787-0-94675800-1531321725_thumb.jpg

I suspected you would of known about it. I only just spotted it as I was checking in hence the rubbish picture. They were obviously one of the first off or he wasn't hanging around towing it home. It took me until the A303 to catch him and my 806 still flies along even full of French motorbikes.

I saw another one today on the M5 heading south by Bridgwater. It was a green one I think it was hard to tell as it was going the other way. They are a bit common these boats.

I am still struggling with the heater control on my W124, the Auto sparks says if we can read from the diagnostic port we might move forward. Has anybody got a ready to fit a 1990 Mercedes?

I feel I am blundering around in the dark at the moment, does anybody know what I should be doing to resolve this problem?

This is the port to connect too.

post-4787-0-82798200-1531837557_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-41969500-1531837569_thumb.jpg

Your electrician needs older diagnostic equipment. Find someone with an original Launch X431. They came in a big case with all the leads, I am 99% certain I have the right one here. I might have to go to Essex this Sunday so might be able to detour on the way back and code read it for you.

Your electrician needs older diagnostic equipment. Find someone with an original Launch X431. They came in a big case with all the leads, I am 99% certain I have the right one here. I might have to go to Essex this Sunday so might be able to detour on the way back and code read it for you.

I am about this weekend planning to visit the Buckingham canal festival which is taking place all weekend so can be free to fit in with you.

Does any body know there way round Mercedes W124 heater controls?

This morning my Auto sparks came calling, he poked and prodded the heater valve on my W124 200TE and announced the problem was the voltage it was receiving and not the valve itself. It seems if you start the engine with the heater on cold it will stay on cold, but once you move it to hot it will stay activated even if the temp wheels are turned to back to min. The system is designed to fail heater on.

He is asking if can I provide a more comprehensive wiring diagram than the Haynes manual and where is the Control unit located?

Can anybody find me a heater control unit part number or maybe lend me a control unit to try? 

If you are thinking why does the Auto sparks not just get on with it, I can't afford just to send it to be fixed so after 20 plus years friendship he will help me as long as I do the background stuff with a minimal cost and lots of tea.

Picture is today looking a bit sad standing around to get you sympathy vote.

Removing the control unit is a clean and quick interior job, and they're cheap on eBay so I'd just change it before trying to diagnose any further. I screwed around for ages trying to repair the GGG 300D's stuck on heater, a £20 used control panel fixed it. 

I still kept a length of wire in the car in case I needed to earth the duovalves again!

• Like 1

Removing the control unit is a clean and quick interior job, and they're cheap on eBay so I'd just change it before trying to diagnose any further. I screwed around for ages trying to repair the GGG 300D's stuck on heater, a £20 used control panel fixed it. 

I still kept a length of wire in the car in case I needed to earth the duovalves again!

Is the control unit the bit that has the temp control rotors in it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-W124-E-Class-coupe-Climate-Heater-Control-Panel-oem-1248302585-oa3c/253573324808?epid=1313909332&hash=item3b0a25e008:g:HO0AAOSwBF1a2dbf

post-4787-0-02466600-1531925552_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-72176800-1531925561_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-72290400-1531926277_thumb.jpg

Yes. It doesn't look like much, but if you crack it open there is quite a bit of electro-nonsense inside. Two potentiometers, IC chips... a whole cornucopia of complexity for what was previously achieved with a bowden cable and a valve.

Yes. It doesn't look like much, but if you crack it open there is quite a bit of electro-nonsense inside. Two potentiometers, IC chips... a whole cornucopia of complexity for what was previously achieved with a bowden cable and a valve.

Advice taken, I have ordered this one that has the correct part number on it.

Old one out, just waiting now for Monday delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-E-CLASS-W124-HEATER-CONTROL-PANEL-1248302585/253753606713?epid=1313909332&hash=item3b14e4c239:g:eAoAAOSwOaBbSzdN

post-4787-0-64663200-1531935887_thumb.jpg

Removing the control unit is a clean and quick interior job

You didn't mention how awkward it was to get the electrical connection block to part company with the controller though! Much close-up squinting with a torch (me) and manipulation (ooh-err missus!) with a dentist's toothpick (Six-cylinder) were needed to prise the two bits apart. Considering that the connection block and heater controller don't actually move once installed in the nice, well-secured environment of the dashboard, I'm amazed at how robustly Mercedes felt the two needed to be clipped together in service...

No doubt there is a Mercedes 'Special Tool' that would have done the job in about two seconds...

• Like 2

I'd forgotten about that bit! But I still consider any job where I don't bleed, cry or get marinaded in a known carcinogen as a clean and quick job. 

Thank you Tickman for my Alfa 156 fuse cover.

Thank you beko1987 for transporting my new fuse cover all the way from Scotland.

I have managed to find a couple of trim clips that seem to fit and the cover is now in place, we will see if it stays there or if I need to drill a hole to put a screw it in. 

post-4787-0-42292700-1532032913_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You didn't mention how awkward it was to get the electrical connection block to part company with the controller though! Much close-up squinting with a torch (me) and manipulation (ooh-err missus!) with a dentist's toothpick (Six-cylinder) were needed to prise the two bits apart. Considering that the connection block and heater controller don't actually move once installed in the nice, well-secured environment of the dashboard, I'm amazed at how robustly Mercedes felt the two needed to be clipped together in service...

No doubt there is a Mercedes 'Special Tool' that would have done the job in about two seconds...

chris has big shovels not petite laydeez hands tho :D

Thank you Tickman for my Alfa 156 fuse cover.

Thank you beko1987 for transporting my new fuse cover all the way from Scotland.

I have managed to find a couple of trim clips that seem to fit and the cover is now in place, we will see if it stays there or if I need to drill a hole to put a screw it in.

I'm glad it is of use, it was only going in the bin otherwise!

• Like 2

how is it when you have at least eleventy twelvety cars you still need to borrow one? lol  :roll:

He’s not daft enough to take his own cars round the track?

Talking of picnics, I'm spending the weekend on our boat, so needed to do a bit of shopping for that. The S2 Daimler Sovereign stepped up for the Tesco run and received one tank of Super Unleaded as a reward... :-)

• Like 4

It came with an event ticket and a free pass to the infield parking! Saved him a long walk with a heavy picnic... :-)

For future reference the trick is to eat the heavy picnic, THEN go for the long walk.

• Like 2

I got the replacement W124 heater control unit today and waited for cool air just before dark to fit it. It has not solved the problem start the engine on cold setting and it is fine, move it to hot and you get heat. Move it back to cold and it stays on heat.

Guest Hooli

Don't move it from cold....

Sounds like a sticky solenoid as I think I recall it having some photographed earlier?