What has two seats, a mid-mounted 6 cylinder engine, and a turbo? Time for windscreen number 5!

mat_the_cat

According to Facebook memories, this was the scene exactly two years ago!

post-5223-0-91231300-1514737331_thumb.jpg

The two newest and lowest mileage vehicles both developed problems, leaving the LT as the only road legal and roadworthy vehicle! The Kangoo had the brake shoe linings fall off inside the drums, and the handbrake cable had snapped on the MINI. Weather was pretty similar (i.e. grim) to today as well...

Loving this thread! There's an early ex Ambulance LT round here that has been a camper for yonks and just refuses to die, though the owner keeps moving house so no recent photos! Think there's one on my Channel Island Chod thread, albeit probably invisible due to that Photobucket bollocks.

Happy New Year!

post-5223-0-89126700-1514771995_thumb.jpg

We went over to Anglesey to watch the fireworks at Beaumaris, and while we were waiting watched a film in bed - complete with electric blanket run from the leisure batteries :-) Very cosy!

post-5223-0-81338200-1514772071_thumb.jpg

Both power steering and water loss are sorted - probably the first time in my life a job has actually gone better than first expected!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Although I keep this  MOT’d and insured all year round, it does sit for quite a while in the winter between trips. Obviously not enough use to prevent things from seizing up, as the handbrake ratchet was sticking – there is a tendency for water and crud from the wheel arch to find its way upwards, with predictable results.

I freed that off over the weekend, as part of my prep for hopefully a trouble-free summer. Now nicely greased and moving smoothly :-)

post-5223-0-80711000-1525806052_thumb.jpg

As well as the usual service required, I’ve noticed that the temperature *seems* to climb a little bit higher on prolonged climbs. It may be nothing to worry about at this stage but we’ll be heading to southern France at the end of June which may be rather warm, and a stitch in time and all that. The fins are just starting to get a bit flaky so it’ll need doing sooner or later. I’ve never suffered overheating with it yet and don’t want to introduce stress on what should be a relaxing holiday!

Non service items are getting a little harder to find for this now, so had to order one from Germany. Fortunately scarcity hasn’t pushed the radiator prices up; unfortunately they’ve always been eye-wateringly expensive, even when widely available :-( I did consider getting one custom made given the price, but I'd have to send the old one off for a while, and manufacture would be slightly completed by the header tank bolting and sealing to the top of it.

It arrived today and although I'd not heard of the brand (NRF) before, they seem to have a reasonable reputation and it is from their 'premium' range rather than the 'economy class', which from their description is a radiator which will just about last until the car is bridged 12 months later! Certainly looks nice and shiny which is all I can say without fitting it...

post-5223-0-34640700-1525806628_thumb.jpg

It's a bit of re-engineering for RHD vehicles - the engine is canted over to the right, giving enough space for the shifter and handbrake lever in the normal position for a LHD vehicle. But for us Brits, the driver's seat is hard up against the engine hump so no room for the handbrake.

Now I know!

It's interesting the challenges that RHD/LHD differences cause on some cars. It's impossible (well, without major redesign of things) for instance for the later multipoint injection system to be fitted to a Lada Riva, reason being that the rear branch of the inlet manifold wants to occupy the same space as the steering box on a RHD car. There you go, useless fact of the day.

Have to admit that I've a huge soft spot for the LT, they're one of the last "proper" vans I think. It's years and years since I last drove one, but I just remember it feeling "right."

Vans these days just feel like a really heavy car...guess that's what most people want....not me though, the more bus-like the better I say!

If I were ever to get a van, choices would be Merc 300 or 800 series, LT or T25, with an early Renault Master as the oddball choice. No real preference between them. LT gets major points for noise though...Merc gets points for the dashboard as it's a major childhood memory, likewise the Renault.

I've never actually driven an 80s Transit, so can't comment on them on the list.

LT probably would be a favourite though thanks to the soundtrack and the quality of engineering you've shown to be present here...

Whatever I wind up with, your van will be an example of how to do stuff I'll be striving for!

Vans these days just feel like a really heavy car...guess that's what most people want....not me though, the more bus-like the better I say!

If I were ever to get a van, choices would be Merc 300 or 800 series, LT or T25, with an early Renault Master as the oddball choice. 

I know exactly what you mean! While the iLoad is incredibly easy to drive, and on a purely practical level the 'better' choice for some things, such as getting somewhere quickly, negotiating narrow lanes and height barriers, there's something very enjoyable about pootling along in the LT, no rush to get to your destination, and with the comforting thrum of the 6 pot underneath you :-)

Coincidentally a Mk1 Master was also on the wish list! I almost bought one some 4 years previously - drove quite some way for a viewing but the seller wanted to let the auction run and it went over my budget. One retired engineer owner from new (8 years), and well looked after...mainly used for an annual trip to Sweden so partially converted with a neat removable camper interior complete with welded in safe! I digress...

Whatever I wind up with, your van will be an example of how to do stuff I'll be striving for!

Thanks, although still not finished yet! I keep thinking of improvements I'd like to make, such as extending the bed slightly (currently it's not *quite* 6 foot long so I can touch the end with my feet). Or the 'outside floodlight' which was added some 10 years ago before LED versions became common:

post-5223-0-34508300-1525894564_thumb.jpg

It's quite bulky and I don't really like the looks, but is very handy both while sitting in bed if you hear a noise outside; or if arriving at a wild camping spot late at night, having more than just reversing lights to manoeuvre by. Maybe a 4x4 style light bar would be a bit more low profile? Do they make them in a warm white colour I wonder?

It's a bit of re-engineering for RHD vehicles - the engine is canted over to the right, giving enough space for the shifter and handbrake lever in the normal position for a LHD vehicle. But for us Brits, the driver's seat is hard up against the engine hump so no room for the handbrake.

That's news to me too - I thought it was just an LT "thing", like it is on Sevel vans etc.

I agree with Zel on the LT driving experience - by modern standards they're a pig to drive (although neither of the two I owned had the benefit of PAS), but they just feel right, somehow, and in many ways I enjoyed driving them more than I do my modern* Transit with its power steering, ABS, airbags, comfortable driving position and carlike acceleration.

I've finally done a job I've wanted (and attempted to do) for the last 10 years! The roof was covered in black mould, but everything I had tried didn't touch it. Detergent, pressure washing, brushing, paint restorer and cream cleaner with a scouring pad didn't remove it. But recently I've been pretty impressed with Bilt Hamber Surfex, so thought I'd give that a try.

post-5223-0-83291800-1526068564_thumb.jpg

I still needed to use a scouring pad, but it softened the mould enough to be removable. The roof is in pretty rough condition underneath, with chips and cracks in the gel coat - but for the first time in my ownership I can actually see the roof!

post-5223-0-79952000-1526069062_thumb.jpg

(Fuzzy photo due to rain on the lens.)

Yes, I've used a few of their products now and without wanting to sound like an advert, all of them have worked well in doing when they are supposed to.

As an aside, I remember a month or so back when I was collecting length of wood to build a carport/garage with. The people working in the builder's yard were slightly disbelieving that I could fit them in the van, but I know from previous occasions I can *just* get the full lengths in if I fold down the passenger seat and rest them on the dashboard.

"It's like a tardis!"

"It's the only camper I've see you can get 4.8m lengths of timber in!"

You've done this before!"

post-5223-0-92327300-1526157594_thumb.jpg

Anyway, time to start a service today. Oil and filter quickly done, then the air filter, which is tucked away behind and below the driver's seat.

post-5223-0-25972600-1526161578_thumb.jpg

Then onto the radiator swap. Most of the hoses still have the annoying (but effective) sprung clips to hold the hoses on, so some while ago I invested in this tool.

post-5223-0-69685300-1526161473_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-69099800-1526161340_thumb.jpg

It really makes the job of releasing the clip absolute simplicity, as you can hold it open without using any hands - even when there is limited access.

Then it was a simple job of removing the electric water pump...

post-5223-0-36030600-1526161232_thumb.jpg

...unbolting the fan cowling and sliding the radiator out from below. Comparing it with the old one it seems identical in fit.

post-5223-0-61956100-1526160859_thumb.jpg

Although is significantly lighter - I wonder if that is down to silted up passageways in the old one? Both are aluminium/plastic construction.

The oil filter is similarly massive too!

post-5223-0-01699800-1526670919_thumb.jpg

Next service item to look at was the brakes. No problems with the offside caliper so just a quick copper grease of the sliding surfaces. Nearside one had a bit of a problem developing though, as the dust boot had popped off and the piston had started to corrode (annoying on a 3 year old caliper!) With only 95bhp I don't really want a binding brake, so popped the piston out to clean it up.

Fortunately it was only extremely light rust, so rubbed off with a bit of Scotchbright. With a stroke of luck I found a caliper repair kit in a spares drawer, so could put it back together with confidence.

post-5223-0-13466900-1526670490_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-97399400-1526670611_thumb.jpg

I had to glue the dust boot in place with superglue though, as for some reason it kept popping off, even with the wire clip. All back together now and bled through with fresh fluid.

post-5223-0-30514600-1526670804_thumb.jpg

Rear brakes next, but they rarely need any attention - still on the same shoes for the last 12 years! Have I just cursed them now?

Radiator now in, and a slight but noticeable improvement - sitting lower on long hills, and only bringing on the electric water pump after being worked hard. Previously it was every journey after switch off.

post-5223-0-05360200-1526847789_thumb.jpg

I decided to get rid of the 'outside light' after my earlier post, and bought the smallest LED light bar I could find. I don't need a stupidly bright output, just enough to see the area immediately behind the van. So a 6 LED unit seemed fine, at a claimed 1800 lumens.

Time to remove the old one and tidy up where I'd previously drilled and sealed the roof for the cables:

post-5223-0-98075900-1526847388_thumb.jpg

I carefully enlarged the hole until I could thread a gland into the fibreglass, sealed with a smear of Sikaflex.

post-5223-0-63469700-1526846347_thumb.jpg

Then screwed the new lamp to the roof, again sealing the screw holes with Sikaflex.

post-5223-0-91867300-1526844287_thumb.jpg

Much better!

post-5223-0-04630300-1526845984_thumb.jpg

Quite aside from the looks, the lower profile won't spoil the carefully designed aerodynamic profile of the van, so I may get an extra couple of mph top speed...

A mate of mine has an LT55 Optare Shittypacer and he's having 'fun' with the brakes, shit is a word he uses a lot, as they aren't really up to the job of stopping the bugger when it has a few people on board

They're OK but nothing amazing, that said I'm not at full weight - let alone LT55 weight! I know there are heavy duty brakes available from when I bought new calipers, but whether they were standard on the bigger variants or merely an option I don't know...

A mate of mine has an LT55 Optare Shittypacer and he's having 'fun' with the brakes, shit is a word he uses a lot, as they aren't really up to the job of stopping the bugger when it has a few people on board

Wonder if that's an Optare thing...the brakes on the Spectra I drove a couple of times barely managed to classify as "adequate" even without 85 passengers on board...

They're OK but nothing amazing, that said I'm not at full weight - let alone LT55 weight! I know there are heavy duty brakes available from when I bought new calipers, but whether they were standard on the bigger variants or merely an option I don't know...

I think they're standard on the 35, 45 and 55 - bear in mind the rims are 5J on all those and twin wheel rear axle - beefier running gear all round. The brakes are still crap, though

Ah, that would explain why both were listed for the LT35, as that weight was available with either twin or single rear wheels (to be pedantic mine is an LT35E).

Just realised I'm slightly out of MOT, so managed to book it in tomorrow. First test under the new rules...

Yay, a pass! Took it to a different garage than usual, and got loads of advisories - only ones I would question are the front wheel bearings which were marked as having slight play. I checked them when I did the brakes, and there was a fraction of play but the same as after I changed them last year. If I tighten them to the next slot for the split pin there is no play whatsoever, and I'd be worried about preloading them.

Maybe they were just being very cautious in case they were wearing out. The tester (a youngish lad) liked the van anyway, saying it was "really cool" and "mint underneath" :-)

I've got a couple of tyres on the way for it as well, as we'll be doing a few thousand miles next month and the rear ones are looking a bit thin. I've switch back to Kumho 857s from Hankook Vantras (if anyone is actually bothered!) as the latter only lasted 15k miles compared to 20k for the Kumhos - which I changed due to sidewall perishing after 4 years rather than tread wear.

I reckon a lot of younger folks will be confused by the concept of "a little bit of play" being normal...

Had a devil of a time trying to get my Niva through a test one year...the tester had never come across a car with old school worm and roller steering and immediately failed it because of the normal free play at the straight ahead position...

I had the same trouble nearly 30 years ago ago with my Dolomite.The workshop manual actually says that play is acceptable,but the tester wouldn't let it through.I went home, tightened the nut,and went back to get my pass.Then I went home and put them back where they had been.A waste of 4 split pins.

The LH rear bumper had sagged a bit, and the cause turned out to be that the box section which the bumper mount bolted too, had weakened due to corrosion. What was I saying about it being mint underneath?!

It's not quite up to TripleRich's standards of repair, but I've usually gone for function over form where the repair can't be seen! What I did cut away the rust, then weld in a section of galvanised bar (handily pre-drilled) onto the good metal left, and the chassis leg.

post-5223-0-92389300-1527368364_thumb.jpg

Prior to that fininshed picture, I took the opportunity to tackle a spot of rust in the seam below the gas filler. I flap-wheeled and wire- brushed back to shiny steel, then painted with Zinga, followed by Sikaflex in the seam.

post-5223-0-81024800-1527368534_thumb.jpg

When sanding it back you can see how much zinc is present, as the sandpaper clogs up with actual metal dust.

post-5223-0-60450800-1527368618_thumb.jpg

Then time to dig out the minty green which I'd painted the lower half in back in 2013. It has held up reasonably well, but rust is coming through in a couple of seams, where it's very difficult to eradicate every trace of rust without splitting the seam entirely. The tin of paint is more rusty than the van though!

post-5223-0-65884400-1527368502_thumb.jpg

And has developed a bit of a skin:

post-5223-0-55367400-1527368449_thumb.jpg

After chiselling my way through fortunately the paint underneath seemed OK, so on with a couple of coats. (It's actually easier to scotchbrite the paint off the gas filler than it is to mask it).

post-5223-0-02006200-1527368406_thumb.jpg

And finally job done! It's not a perfect repair, just a functional one which looks a bit better, and should last a few years at least. Maybe at some point I will get a proper job done on it, but then in some ways I might be afraid to use it!

post-5223-0-80236500-1527368282_thumb.jpg