220SLi: Roverdue Maintenance

phil_lihp

Yes, that was the best Rover pun I could come up with.  The ex-Bollox, ex-sixcylinder Rover 220 SLi came up for sale again at the usual sub-scrap price.  It was 200+ miles away, I had no need for it and not really anywhere to put it, so naturally I got in touch and agreed a collection date.

That means that at 7:30AM, I stood in the morning sun hoping that one day my bus would come...

20130928_073428_resized_zps3b4624a4.jpg

It did.  Shiny new 13-plate, bit of a difference from the 20+year old Leyland heaps that used to ply this route back when I last used them in the late nineties.

That got me to Barnstaple train station.

The train to Exeter was all clean and modern inside too, no sign of the nasty Pacer trains they were using until recently.

Then onto a vintage Intercity 125 to Paddington.

20130928_124354_resized_zpsf47b6d40.jpg

Then a tube to St Pancras

20130928_130239_resized_zps43023a70.jpg

Then an expensive lunch and an hour's train ride to Corby.

Steve was kind enough to pick me up from the station to take me back to his house where the infamous Rover sat waiting in a small puddle of coolant.  A quick chat, some cash changed hands, a V5 was signed and I hit the road.  Considering it had been sat since June, it started easily, ran fine and the brakes were free - Steve has taken good care of it.

Complimentary Morrisons petrol station shot (for variety, parked up at the air line, parked-at-the-pump pictures are so last year).

20130928_160653_resized_zps68a95042.jpg

A tea-and-yorkie-bar refueling stop for me half an hour later and to check the coolant level - all OK.  The 220 had good company, this Metro was a very early H-plate, a bit scabby round the edges but nice to see one still in use.

20130928_164016_resized_zps2ec87517.jpg

Incidentally, pulling out of this service station onto the dual carriageway proved that the 2.0i T series is more than powerful enough to fling a forgotten and, alas, full cup of tea off the dashboard and onto the passenger seat where it disgorged most of its contents

One further service station stop an hour later required a small topup of coolant but nothing to write home about.  Attracted various admiring* glances from jealous onlookers.

3 hours later, having seen most of the M5, I was absolutely sold.  It pulls well, it's smooth and quiet, cruises at motorway speeds barely over 3000rpm and everything works apart from the passenger door mirror.  It wasn't even drinking fuel in a particular hurry.  What a result for £100!

My other surprise was the comfort - I have never been able to drive from Bristol to Bideford without having to stop at least once to stretch my legs, I always end up with cramp and a sore knee.  Not in this, super comfy.  Loving it.

So all plain sailing?  Well, almost.  9 miles from home on the A39, I became aware of a faint, distant squeaking noise which sounded like it was coming from one of the wheels.  8 miles in, it abruptly got a lot louder and the steering wheel started shuddering - fortunately, a layby appeared and I swung in.  My immediate thought was a seized brake caliper, confirmed as I coasted to a neat halt without touching the brake pedal.  By now it was pitch black but the passenger front wheel was roasting hot and pinking loudly as it cooled.  

Without much other option, I sat and waited for 5 minutes while it cooled down.  Luckily, it started raining, so I turned it onto full lock in the hope that some rainwater would get behind the wheel and help cool things down.  It worked, the caliper released itself moments later and I arrived home 10 minutes later with no further ado.

After 240 miles home, I am completely hooked on this car, it's a cracker.  With a new windscreen and water pump, hopefully it'll see another MOT but for now it'll just be a handy second car to run around in. 

Many thanks to Steve, it was good to meet you and I hope the van can be repaired without too much hassle!

Sounds great Phil! Not driven one of these but I have sat in this very car at one of the Pride of Longbridge "gatherings" (mostly of barried-up shite)

Get some linseed/peanut butter/bumper restoration product on those bumpers at once, its screaming out fot it, I reckon the rear bumper coukd do with replacing as when I saw it, it looked as if it had been crudely cut.

My 1994 216 came with an original Rover head unit, sadly missing its code. I'll try to remember to dig it out tomorrow and get a picture posted.

I've also had my eye on this car for the last year or two, but now it's just about old enough to go on my classic policy. Next time!

Great news!!!! Defo one of the best cars i've ever had this. In fact I should add it to my 'two litre beater' search!

I was gonna suggest in your thread you could do a lot worse than go back to this, or one like it. Not many others about now.

That depends if I ever want to get rid of it!

I don't suppose any of the car's previous owners have the original Rover head unit from this car or know what sort it had?  There's a big hole where a radio should be and I fancy a proper 1994-vintage model.

I might have one, an R660 or summat, its your if Bolls can't get his. Mind, I've not tried it yet and there is a good chance it'll need a code finding out.

Dawn rose over the Devon coast this morning to reveal Britain's finest sat on my driveway looking grimy and a bit faded.  A bucket of suds was procured, followed by a bottle of linseed oil (Lord Sterling, this one is for you).  Photos?  OK then.

20130929_093426_zps9a3a44b9.jpg

At home with its modern counterpart.  

20130929_103217_zpsdd6a4f20.jpg

20130929_093453_zpsd8b2dd86.jpg

That back bumper has been butchered but it's not in great condition anyway, if this ends up being a keeper I'll source a replacement.

20130929_093441_zpsc6e8d1ac.jpg

Bumpers are an instant improvement.  It's only had a quick wipe over with the oil, it's a bit blotchy in places but it's loads better and takes years off the car.  An american neighbour walked past and called it a classic whilst I was doing this.  He could be right.

The mighty T-series.

20130929_093740_zps08e3332d.jpg

A quick hoover and wipe over with Mr Sheen tidied up the interior, I also managed to get most of the tea stains out of the passenger seat.  

20130929_093641_zpsdc75c700.jpg

The car currently stands me at £99.84 when bought with the patented autoshite cashback scheme.

20130929_103247_zpsba81d88c.jpg

There's a massive wodge of service and MOT history, including this which would explain last night's little incident:

20130929_094202_zpsa8cefdef.jpg

Might have that caliper off at some point for a fresh application of copper grease.  I'm not going to do much work to it until it's been assessed for an MOT though.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's nowhere near as tidy close up, it's generously coated in Dulux white applied with a brush, mostly over a couple of welded patches and the plastic strips under the headlights.  Looks fine from a few feet back though, good enough for me.

Tried to dismantle the driver's door today to find out why the central locking makes noises but doesn't lock/unlock the door (all the others work fine).  Gave up after running out of daylight, I cannot get the interior panel off, it was almost ready to come off but there appears to be a screw under the top of the grab handle but I'm stuck for working out how to get to it.  Will try again some other time, it's no big worry right now.

Thanks for the offer milord, that's very kind.  Right now I'm planning on spending as little as possible on it, if it goes through the MOT next month then I'll consider tidying it up!

I drive past that bus stop many times a week, so I'm sure I'll see you in this at some point. If you see a guy driving a BRG 'classic' Mini Cooper wave, that'll be me. ;)

Really?  Small world!  I'll keep an eye out.  It won't be out on the road much during the week though, with two cars and a motorbike to use I of course chose to cycle to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Judgement day looms.  Tomorrow it has an appointment with destiny.  Well, with Bob the mechanic anyway.  He'll be going over it with a sympathetic eye to see if it has a chance of going through the MOT without major expenditure, he's the same chap who welded the Nova up and he likes his old cars so there is hope.  

It isn't helping its own case really considering that over the last two weeks the back box has somehow developed a number of quite large holes and is now quite embarrassingly loud.

Edit: Mr B, I don't suppose you've had a chance to turf out the old radio have you?  No rush mind.