Pleasure Wagon

KruJoe

Engine access looks pretty shit on these!

The Pleasure Wagon running on veg fills me with pleasure.

as an F owner, I thought I knew what spannering through a manhole felt like, that looks like it will be a struggle!

seconded on loosing the rear mong mirror, KJ

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers lads.

Engine access isn't as terrible as it might be. If rolling the seats back and lifting the hatches isn't enough for you, you can unbolt the seats, then lift more of the under-seat panel on the driver's side. I've not tried that (yet!), it's only necessary for head swaps etc.

P1310170_zpshjmomgwz.jpg

Right, in order to avoid that, before the old bus does any serious work I thought I'd better give the notoriously fragile cooling system some loving.

P1150558_zpsylfk6tg6.jpg

I did lots of reading first. Parked somewhere with access to a good, high pressure hose pipe, nose in the air. All bleed plugs out, and low-level hoses disconnected. Bucket shot:

P1150560_zps11sflpqn.jpg

Yum.

P1150561_zpsn3oiyoqr.jpg

No big crunchy bits or chunky lumps though.

P1150564_zps3f1mq8jr.jpg

Hose in the top hoses to the engine, and the top of the rad.

P1150565_zpssuzor6za.jpg

Flushed through various ways, it took over half an hour to get the rad water to run clear! These radiators do commonly sludge up and cause overheating. Looks like I caught this one in time.

P1150566_zps1nj0xg4r.jpg

All pipes back on, plugs back in, and special funnel taped in place.

P1150569_zpsknsfwp07.jpg

No, I wasn't putting the same water* back in! Red concentrate (they like red)...

P1150570_zpss20avlzb.jpg

...and my own special de-ionised scale-free water from the dehumidifier.

P1030667_zpsa2x50q5r.jpg

Luckily I had loads, it took nearly three gallons!

P1150571_zpstsrsjqdn.jpg

These can be a bugger to bleed, but I got it right after all my reading up. Note the screwdriver ^
Also there are some pipes under the hatches atop the engine to let bubbles out in a similar way.

P1150572_zpsnpxax634.jpg

Topped off with a fresh lid.

I did  that job before our run down to deepest Oxfordshire on the ARSE Beta collection on the hottest day of the year.

post-1381-0-51442100-1428444364_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased to report after my efforts, the cooling system was... exactly the same as before!
But it has behaved perfectly since I bought it. However, I now have more peace-of-mind that it's been done, and it has a more healthy liquid within.