Grizz’s OCD Awesome ASTRO Van 🚙 Megane SCENIC 1.5dci 🚙. Peugeot 206 CC FOR SALE 🐸 Jeep up for grabs too.🚨

grizz

Back to paint……….

It will be an ongoing theme here, for some time I suspect.

https://youtu.be/uXfRv_4nBcw?si=tC35J9Du-CIh8rxn

Funny how small things can become big things.

Sometimes a fix can lead to a second look, and reward the fixer as well.

When I first saw the Caddy on Zel’s advertisement, the one photo that made it look a bit tired (well, a few really did) was this photo……..

Posture and front wheel…. The wheel just looked tired, but my first thought was that a bit of silver would improve it.
Walking around when I went to look the first time, the rears were just as bad, in a different way.
Someone had smeared some silver over the rust scales with a brush, badly.

IMG_7461.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

So once on my driveway, one of the first jobs to do was to get the wheels all looking the same.

Albeit also with a brush and Hammerite.

So I got straight to it, in fact the first job I got to, 36 hours after collecting, on the Thursday morning, even before the front Grille.

IMG_1710.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Up in the air.

Axle stands yes.

IMG_1712.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Sanded them all back, removing flagged lumps of old paint and rust. 

IMG_1721.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Closer up, ready for the next step.

IMG_1713.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Trusty old Hammerite paint. 

Not as good as the bad old stuff, lots of chemicals, carcinogens and poison removed now.

IMG_1714.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

While I waited for the paint to dry, I also tried the Scruffy Micra’s wheels. After all, they cost me £200.00 get looking this good.

Not at all impressed, they are 14’s so the decision made to sell, and sold within an hour of listing for the asking price of £150.00 and collected next morning by 08.00 

This meant the door was wide open to start looking for some other wheels to fit as well.

Of course…….. yes, a cheap runaround suddenly escalating and my wallet draining noisily like a bath in a horror movie. 

IMG_1735.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Once I got over the disappointment of the copper alloy fail…….

I crawled around underneath while the van was up in the air.

I was not shocked, I was more than shocked. Zelandeth had warned that the structure underneath was in a crappy state, nothing was hidden, and even peeping under the van when in Milton Keynes was fine to my eye. Now I thought……. MOT Fail?

Flakes of rust the size of my hand waiting to drop off the rear section that had been added into the floor 21 years ago……

These conversions are clearly done at a budget.

Almost non-existent quality control and certainly no long term pride.

Like the saying “If it’s on, it’s gone”

I suspect the builders motto is “Get it done, grab the cash and run” 

So another big job may lay in wait, I did not want to go prod with a screwdriver or hammer.

I also could not really figure out how the rear bumper sections will be removed if I can find an intact, undamaged one to fit.

I really do want to fit a decent one to the rear, currently it sucks to look at. 

IMG_1742.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_1741.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

So I went to make a coffee when the paint dried.

Coffee and ginger nuts.

Life savers.

I was pleased with the result of the brush painted steel wheels.

When good enough really means good enough. A temporary fix.

IMG_1727.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Once refitted to the van I swapped it and the Chevy Astro around.

Took a pic, stood back and smiled.

Small improvements.

IMG_1797.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

And of course opinions are welcome. 

I had considered other colours.

Silver is just so, well, silver. 

1 hour ago, grizz said:

Back to paint……….

It will be an ongoing theme here, for some time I suspect.

https://youtu.be/uXfRv_4nBcw?si=tC35J9Du-CIh8rxn

Funny how small things can become big things.

Sometimes a fix can lead to a second look, and reward the fixer as well.

When I first saw the Caddy on Zel’s advertisement, the one photo that made it look a bit tired (well, a few really did) was this photo……..

Posture and front wheel…. The wheel just looked tired, but my first thought was that a bit of silver would improve it.
Walking around when I went to look the first time, the rears were just as bad, in a different way.
Someone had smeared some silver over the rust scales with a brush, badly.

IMG_7461.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

So once on my driveway, one of the first jobs to do was to get the wheels all looking the same.

Albeit also with a brush and Hammerite.

So I got straight to it, in fact the first job I got to, 36 hours after collecting, on the Thursday morning, even before the front Grille.

IMG_1710.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Up in the air.

Axle stands yes.

IMG_1712.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Sanded them all back, removing flagged lumps of old paint and rust. 

IMG_1721.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Closer up, ready for the next step.

IMG_1713.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Trusty old Hammerite paint. 

Not as good as the bad old stuff, lots of chemicals, carcinogens and poison removed now.

IMG_1714.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

While I waited for the paint to dry, I also tried the Scruffy Micra’s wheels. After all, they cost me £200.00 get looking this good.

Not at all impressed, they are 14’s so the decision made to sell, and sold within an hour of listing for the asking price of £150.00 and collected next morning by 08.00 

This meant the door was wide open to start looking for some other wheels to fit as well.

Of course…….. yes, a cheap runaround suddenly escalating and my wallet draining noisily like a bath in a horror movie. 

IMG_1735.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Once I got over the disappointment of the copper alloy fail…….

I crawled around underneath while the van was up in the air.

I was not shocked, I was more than shocked. Zelandeth had warned that the structure underneath was in a crappy state, nothing was hidden, and even peeping under the van when in Milton Keynes was fine to my eye. Now I thought……. MOT Fail?

Flakes of rust the size of my hand waiting to drop off the rear section that had been added into the floor 21 years ago……

These conversions are clearly done at a budget.

Almost non-existent quality control and certainly no long term pride.

Like the saying “If it’s on, it’s gone”

I suspect the builders motto is “Get it done, grab the cash and run” 

So another big job may lay in wait, I did not want to go prod with a screwdriver or hammer.

I also could not really figure out how the rear bumper sections will be removed if I can find an intact, undamaged one to fit.

I really do want to fit a decent one to the rear, currently it sucks to look at. 

IMG_1742.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_1741.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

So I went to make a coffee when the paint dried.

Coffee and ginger nuts.

Life savers.

I was pleased with the result of the brush painted steel wheels.

When good enough really means good enough. A temporary fix.

IMG_1727.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Once refitted to the van I swapped it and the Chevy Astro around.

Took a pic, stood back and smiled.

Small improvements.

IMG_1797.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

And of course opinions are welcome. 

I had considered other colours.

Silver is just so, well, silver. 

Paint on wheels makes a big difference. Shame about the crustiness. My brother drove one of these with moon mileage as a long distance daily for a while. They certainly last.

Chronically underrated thread, really enjoying reading it. 

What the hell do you do that leads to 5 redundancies in 2yrs?  Are you a steamboat captain or do you service rotary engines?

Massive difference from painting those wheels. Looks great.

• Haha 2

Wheels definitely an improvement. That arse end sure looks crispy in contrast though. Gentle wire wheel and plaster it in Lanoguard? 

The registration plate POO 2 SiZE still makes me chuckle - sell it for some coin to a gastroenterologist! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Schaefft said:

Paint on wheels makes a big difference. Shame about the crustiness. My brother drove one of these with moon mileage as a long distance daily for a while. They certainly last.

They rust, due to the sort of abuse zero care and UK road salt. 

If they were in Mexico,South Africa etc….. they would bankrupt the company because they would not die if maintained regularly 

3 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Chronically underrated thread, really enjoying reading it. 

What the hell do you do that leads to 5 redundancies in 2yrs?  Are you a steamboat captain or do you service rotary engines?

Massive difference from painting those wheels. Looks great.

Your observations are enough to volunteer for redundancy, made me chuckle.

My background is Military,Nursing, worked in the pharmaceutical industry and healthcare 33 years.

I just happen to work in a volatile part of the industry, cardiology and haematology. 

Covid and post Covid made things change,and change is good, despite the discomfort.

Thanks for the comment re the thread. It is random, but I like weird, random and unusual.

Oh, and fixing shit people gave up on. Though I know where the bin is for crap.

Small changes like the wheels always work. 

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Wheels definitely an improvement. That arse end sure looks crispy in contrast though. Gentle wire wheel and plaster it in Lanoguard? 

The registration plate POO 2 SiZE still makes me chuckle - sell it for some coin to a gastroenterologist! 

Yes, arse was built to a budget of close as possible to zero. I suspect.

License plate would appeal to many. 

I would “sell”  in exchange for a dateless plate at zero cost to me. 

• Like 1

Two small jobs done.

Due to the new to me, Caddy vans arrival, focus was lost for a bit.

So yesterday afternoon I got a couple of minutes in there.

First job, wrap up the rear carpet retainer strip refit, with new screws.

Looks loads better.

IMG_0964.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_2246.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Then proceeded to mess with the piece of Mazda Bongo trim I got from Bill @oxb1l in Scotland 

Wish I had the original trim, that would be better.

But we can make it up as we go along. 

IMG_0969.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Just needs a dry, warmer day and some tiger seal to make fit. 

IMG_2243.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Marked, cut, ground, repeatedly till it was a decent fit.

IMG_2247.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Heat gun action to reshape and get a curve into it.

IMG_2249.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Well, sun is out, now may be a good time before the next lot of rain drowns the ducks.

More small jobs to get done. 

Once the clouds disappeared and the skies warmed up a bit today, I went to the garage, moved the van into the sun.

Grabbed some stuff.

Prepared.

DF8EB7C7-8BC5-4EB4-9C66-4B107BDD3525.jpe

Clamped in place.

Multiple clamps because there are curves on two planes.

Left for 5 hours and removed the clamps so that I could close the doors before dark and,damp out back.

84DCDD00-0184-498D-AE68-39F9CCF886F0.jpe

46E5D919-8962-4089-9AD7-22A17A053D48.jpe

Result.

I will make up a small filler piece for the top,as well tomorrow.

81D3BD4F-8154-4700-A7D1-D6B34BEB1936.jpe

Happy with this result.

Astro kissing Caddy butt.

556BB58C-FE24-4480-966D-1FD857FD2ABA.jpe

Will try to get a better pic for perspective of their respective sizes.

Both are a bit deceptive. 

• Like 4

So we needed a fresh MOT on the van, expiry on the existing one 18 November.

So I drove down to the MOT testing station to see if this crack would be a fail.

What do you think? 

ADC437D7-E1BA-4226-B36C-EF9F9AC6F16B.jpe

Turns out, the rules have once again changed and it is not an automatic fail.

So cheekily, and optimistically I book the car/van in for a cancelled spot at 4.30, and say “See ya later” heading out to Morrisons to buy some food as I had not gone food shopping since returning from Scotland and Shropshire. 

Go outside to the car park.

Brrrr, Brrrrrr. Brrrrrrr, Brrr, Brrrrr…………. Buggerrrrrrrr.

Car turns over, zero fire.

SERIOUSLY ?? 

So I do the usual, lock, unlock with the remote, try figure if immobiliser has died, NOPE.

Check under the hood, for any diesel dribbling out, any pipe showing a leak, the clear pipe at 3 way filter shows no bubbles.

Buggerrrrrrr.

I call @zelandeth just in case he has advice (zero blame, it is my car) luckily he pulls over in a lay-by, chats to me, talks me through the problem solving I already did, dead end. Buggerrrrrrrr.

So I try again, at which point a guy in a Japanese Garage overall comes to add his advice, opinions and double checking my checklist.

Of course we keep trying to start the basterd thing. Brrrrrrr, Brrrrrrrr, Brrrrrrr. 

NOPE.

Now we are joined by two “tree surgeon” types nd their 12 year old nephew who is clearly not in school and learning the trade IYKWIM. 

More advice, opinions, and a pair of knackered old pliers.

We are also joined now by a very very grubby, real mechanic…. No, a diesel mechanic named  Bryan, another super nice guy, really nice.

“Do you have any quick start?” 

Nope. 

Deodorant? 

Nope.

So mechanic no 1 disappears, while I open the scuttle to make sure nothing is under water under there.

Nope, all dry.

Buggerrrrrrr…….

Mechanic no 1 comes back from inside the test centre, toilet spray in hand.

WTF?

So we try open the air intake with said pliers which the Tree surgeons had graciously let us use.

Fail. Pliers are only good for melting down into something more useful.

So I grab an empty sample aerosol can of VW Reflex Silver that Zelandeth had tossed in the back for me to use as Sample when I went to buy paint, and said toilet refresher spray to pry open the demon clip around the air intake pipe, and mechanic no 1  pulls it off. 

So back inside, ignition on, mechanic no 2 (the diesel guy) spraying toilet spray and once it almost sounds like a fire up, but no, must have imagined it. 

One tin of toilet spray later, the engine compartment smells lovely, I am frowning and sweating, been there an hour already. 

Buggerrrrrrr….. 

One by one the witnesses disappear to do more interesting stuff, like ordering pizza over the road.

I close the door, take the key and sheepishly go indoors to cancel my 4.30pm test.

That’ll learn me to be so cocksure.

Buggerrrrrrr……. 

So I go to plan C (A was me alone, B was the team) which is calling a recovery service. 

Green flag take down my details, and problem explained clearly ,and say a company will contact me soon on their behalf (subcontracting at its best) 
Telling them the whole story in detail, I make the fatal mistake of saying I am 1. Male, 2. Safe, 3. No dependants present.
I would regret that later, when 40 minutes later, said recovery service sub-contractor office calls me to say they understand my cars battery is flat and their guys will be there in 30 minutes.
So that will make my being there around 120 minutes. 
40 minutes later, a text, stating that due to high demand their technicians are still dealing with the previous case and are delayed.
40 minutes later another text SERIOUSLY, DUE TO HIGH DEMAND technicians will be there at 5.45pm 

In the mean time I had smelled other peoples pizza, asked a pair of guys sitting in the back of a Transit van with a supersized pizza each, if it was good, they confirmed this, not offering to share or anything like that. 
So I walked over the street, ordered a 10” American hot. 
Possibly the best, cheesiest pizza I have had in 10 years, seriously, with raw Birds Eye chillis. 
They reminded me at 3.00 am just how good they were…… despite the early, rude awakening, zero regrets.
Best part of my day for sure. 

IMG_1961.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

So when the second delay text came through, it was about 5.45pm.

The test centre closes at 5.30 for last test.

So I was mildly pi$$€d despite the good memories of the pizza.

So I just randomly walked out and tried to start the Caddy.

Brrrrrrrrr…. Zippp, Clatterrrr Clatterrr…..; Diesel engine noises.

It’s a bloody miracle, it’s running again !!! 

So I leave it running, head back indoors, into the partially closed office and reception area to say I got it started, as I get to the door, one of the testers comes walking out, we always chat when I take stuff to be tested, and he had told me the glass would not be a fail on the test.
So he says do you still want it tested?
I reply that it is now 5.50 and they need to shut shop and head home.
He replies that he will see if someone can test it for me, and that I need to just quickly go tell the receptionist to add it back to the system, and if nobody can test it, he will do it for me. 

SERIOUSLY ??? 

So I go indoors and speak with her, citing tester no 1’s comment.

She says “No Problem, I will go see if the boss can test if for you” 

FCUUUUUK NOOOOO!! 

I do not want the boss testing my 21 year old, rusted box, just been dead for three hours outside, Caddy van for me.

That’s got to be a sure recipe for heartache and disaster.

Receptionist comes traipsing back in

“Yes it’s fine, the boss will test it for you, where’s the keys?”

“Inside the POO car” is my reply as the Caddy had already become known as “The Poo car” because of the registration number and its behaviour.to the test centre staff who had seen my distress all afternoon.

OK, I will tell MICHELLE.’ 

WTAF ??

MICHELLE ??

Seriously?

The boss, is testing my car, way out of business hours and is called Michelle.

As if my day could not get any worse.

So I expected to bearded bloke with salamander blue eye makeup, red lips, fake tits and rainbow coloured finger nails to test the Caddy.

Hello  Halloween month of horrors.

Keep in mind, this Caddy had fought me even when I tried to pay for it…….

The damn demon thing hates me.

So the Caddy outside, engine running was waiting for its date with destiny, or density.

IMG_1959.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

I went to pee, as I was pretty much ready to do so in my jeans.

While I was in the toilet, coincidentally, the Caddy disappeared into the test centre and up on the ramp.

With Michelle hovering underneath it, light poking up underneath it, automated testing stuff cleverly testing all the suspension parts, geometry etc.

So I asked permission from my friendly tester who had set this nightmare in motion to ask if I could take a few pics up on the ramp, for my blog, forums and YouTube channel stuff. “Let me go ask Michelle” moments later he was back and said, “Yes, Michelle said no problem, you are the last person left in the test centre” which happens to have about 9 ramps, yes, 9 lifts for testing, one of them for ultra low stuff, and also to test Pickups and high roof, long wheelbase Sprinter sized vehicles and of course motorcycles. 

Some took a few pics, watching Michelle move under the Caddy.

IMG_1971.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Being the chatty  guy I am, of course I walked closer up and asked permission to take a few pics underneath as well, and to inspect for myself the Rusty stuff that will need attention.

SURPRISE !!!!

Michelle, the boss, with 20 years of MOT testing experience, learned her trade from her dad, and now runs her own show, turned out to be a lovely, knowledgeable and informative lLADY.

So I took a few more pics, none of her, she is lovely.

Her comment was that, other than the welded in ramp box for the original disability use, the rest of the Caddy is in really good Nick, and has obviously been looked after, having had the right parts replaced and serviced over time. 

IMG_1969.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

I then left the shop floor while she carried on testing and by 6.35 the emissions test came in, PASS.

And by 6.45 I got my MOT PASS CERTIFICATE and paid for the test.

Said my thank yous to all and left.

Not switching the car off, I drove straight home and got there with the speedo showing the miles at this point.

IMG_1972.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

That was a stressful day….. well, for me at least.

Massive thanks to all involved, from the tree surgeons in their rotten white Transit van, to the two mechanics and the staff at the test centre, and of course @zelandeth who took the call, and had said originally that there was no reason for it to fail a test when I bought it, and also the reason why the price was not negotiable.

Right……

Now relax…… 13 months of MOT test to use. 

Fucking jesus, that's an MOT you'll never forget 😂

Could you brush thick coats of krust on and let it drink it up to buy you the winter to work out wtf to do? Don't wire brush it, don't poke, just coat

52 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Wow, what a saga. At least it had a happy ending. Thanks for the detailed write up.

Some stories need more words to really let you smell the bacon frying.

On  my September USA trip, I joined an 81 year old to drive 500 miles to collect a $25k cash deal car.

Got there, ate the seller’s restaurant lunch, had a shop tour, loaded the car, only to find that neither of us had the $25k to pay for the car.

The agreed deal from the seller, who had been messed around for weeks, as 25k and no bullshit.

So this was a short and long version of that trip. 

You will see me looking absolutely knackered , because I struggle to sleep when I travel. 

51 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Fucking jesus, that's an MOT you'll never forget 😂

Could you brush thick coats of krust on and let it drink it up to buy you the winter to work out wtf to do? Don't wire brush it, don't poke, just coat

Yup…….

It was not as much fun as expected.

The plan is to clean it up as much as possible and then some paint. 

I did give that area a fairly decent poke a while back and despite looking like hell it seemed absolutely solid.  While they obviously did a crap job of rust proofing it, it's all thick wall box section and sheet so seems to have survived well despite looking like it's been on the bottom of the sea.

That's the third year it's gone through a test with zero prep.  Last year I think I'd just called by to check if they had any slots in the near future and wound up getting it done there and then.  Year before I just ran out of time and didn't even have a chance to check the lights.

Still puzzled on the no start...it's never done that while I've had it, ever.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I did give that area a fairly decent poke a while back and despite looking like hell it seemed absolutely solid.  While they obviously did a crap job of rust proofing it, it's all thick wall box section and sheet so seems to have survived well despite looking like it's been on the bottom of the sea.

That's the third year it's gone through a test with zero prep.  Last year I think I'd just called by to check if they had any slots in the near future and wound up getting it done there and then.  Year before I just ran out of time and didn't even have a chance to check the lights.

Still puzzled on the no start...it's never done that while I've had it, ever.

I would not worry about the no start, unless you figure out some solution, or prevention.

I suspect that when you say zero preparation, you mean on the day before, but your records clearly showed that you fixed all the stuff that needed fixing as they appeared.

Then you expect a pass.

I had looked at everything before being cheeky enough to go check about the glass, hence the booking in when the glass became a non problem.

Regarding the steel box…… that would just be a job to add to my personal list. 

You know those days when the weather conspires against you, no picnic, no BBQ, no car time?

https://youtube.com/shorts/P7SZ1HKNySg?si=gc3vJ8kERKzuFtRV

Sometimes you just need to squeeze a bit of time out of them when nobody is looking.

Bottle of G3 compound and an old rag, joined by a knackered T-shirt.

Not exactly “Valet Heaven” and the purists will be sucking on their plastic refinish gel by now.

Still, a few minutes can change things, and add motivation and a feeling of accomplishment.

The whole Caddy is 21 years old, with loads of giffer style damage, careless scratches, tiny dings, chipped paint, rust in expected places. All these can be corrected with a bit of patience. 

So I give you exhibit number one: @dozer my younger brother would walk away from a car like this “because it’s rusted” He hates rust. 

Half the problem is the rusty water staining on the surrounding paint. After all….. it took 21 years to get like this. 

IMG_2176.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

So a few minutes of concentrated fingering gets you this result.

IMG_2178.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Other side, rear wheel arch, must be the plastic arch liner that chafed away at the paint, with added road grit and no cleaning.

IMG_2175.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

And afterwards, just a bit better. If you now walk up to it as a potential buyer…… you can see the extent of the rust but it looks tidier.

IMG_2177.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Remember the previous life this van lived was as a wheelchair accessible vehicle. 

Now you rarely see Macho Formula One drivers, or off Roaders and Burly Builders driving these cars, more often, irate women in long floral dresses and knitted button up jumpers with untidy hair, or their male counterparts wearing ugly black shoes. Now before you attack me….. THINK ABOUT IT. Looking after any form of disabled person takes a load more effort than shouting “Johnny get your school bag, did you brush your teeth, put down the Gameboy/whatever, the bus is here, you’re going to be late for school” all in one extended sentence. So clothing, hair, your own life becomes secondary to the person you are caring for. Included in this is many sleepless nights, weekends between work weeks at a day job where carers don’t come because they get paid more at a local private institution, so suddenly the 48 hours you are meant to rest……. No rest because you are caring for your child/relative. I have good friends who do this every day of their lives and I can only respect them. 

Washing, cleaning and doing maintenance on these become something secondary, maintenance usually covered by various motability schemes or manufacturers warranties. 

The knocks, scrapes, dents and marks…… 

Often the result of trying to get your charge unloaded close to a buildings door, ramp or tour own home when the weather in the video above, prevails. 

Just look at the amount of shameless dick heads parking in disabled spaces, or parking right up close to the rear ramps of cars, clearly marked as needing loading space. Think Stephen Hawking sized wheelchairs. 

So the option of dinging and denting and scraping these cars are often forced on the drivers by society’s selfishness. 

Rant over, for now.

When I bought the Caddy, this long scrape that someone had tried to clean up with a piece of 400grit sandpaper really bugged me, it had the clear coat scuffed, really badly, it also has an associated dent all the way down, and if you zoom in over the wheel arch bulge, more damage and what looks like ingrained plastic from another vehicle plus another deeper set of scrapes near the rear light. 

But after previously sorting the Astro paint with a lot of effort, and hand buffing, I knew it was not impossible.

Marks are all obvious in the original for sale pics, I never took a better up close pic, but it’s obvious.

IMG_7462.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

So I spent quite a bit of time on these  marks, till the increasing rain stopped me outright.

I will be returning for another, more thorough and complete run at this, it should be possible to clear the paint scratches but not the dent, which I have to live with. 

Better? 

IMG_2238.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_2179.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

There is a lot to be said for just putting a bit of effort into things. 

I think a lot of people would be surprised how much you can turn a tired car around with nothing but 10 quid worth of materials and time. Usually that really helps isolate the real issues, which in return helps with realizing that things aren't really looking that bad after all. That's why I see cleaning up a car as such a motivation boost, polishing is just the next step. Add a bit of paint and things can be transformed. IF you have the time that is.

Really like following the progress on this one because it seems like such a good example of the above.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Schaefft said:

I think a lot of people would be surprised how much you can turn a tired car around with nothing but 10 quid worth of materials and time. Usually that really helps isolate the real issues, which in return helps with realizing that things aren't really looking that bad after all. That's why I see cleaning up a car as such a motivation boost, polishing is just the next step. Add a bit of paint and things can be transformed. IF you have the time that is.

Really like following the progress on this one because it seems like such a good example of the above.

Very good summary of my approach.

My brother commented on a different forum that he does not have to patience or motivation to see jobs like that through. 

But he is the guy who feeds the kids of the guy with the trailer full of lawn care tools in South Africa.

We all have a place in the bigger machine of life. 

And I agree with you.

@Zelandeth was the perfect guy to have this before me, to get those clever jobs I am too lazy or dumb for, done.

Whoever, if there is a next owner/driver, will get an exceptionally nice functional car as result of the various inputs in the last few years. 

Well, the weather in the South of England SUCKS right now.

BUT….. I have not yet turned the heating on, and we are on the 2nd November. 

A personal record, I think. 

So I wanted to start with doing the side glass Limo Tint yesterday when there was a break in the rain.

Only to realise, you can unscrew two of the pop out windows and then do them laying flat indoors, much easier than doing it all vertically.

BUT…… you need to have either glaziers suckers, or a friend, like Mickey next door to hold the glass so it does not smash on the floor.

Any advice or ideas, in case I cannot get Mickey out in the cold?

He hates the cold, being as skinny as he is, the wind blows through him.

IMG_0970.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_0971.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Today is not looking promising either. 

But I am restless. 

• Like 1

I am just full of questions today……

Keeping mind I am in Kent, UK.

MOT Pass.

I guess they are functional, but man they look rubbish.

I remember shocks not costing a lot.

Buy one, get one Free.

You will see the right one actually lost its lower cuff section, hanging down below. 

Looking at three online shops, local to me, so collection easy and an EBay advertisement the prices range a bit.

Are these very specific to the car, or is there anything out there made for some random Korean econobox that would be the actual same item, priced at a chunk less?

I noticed the Mk3 newer Caddy shocks are advertised in the low £30’s 

Thanks. 

IMG_8887.jpeg

IMG_8882.jpeg

IMG_8881.jpeg

IMG_8880.jpeg

IMG_8879.jpeg

Found a part number, entered into eBay and found some at £30.59 each including postage.

PART No. 6K9 513 031 

Not sure if there is much cheaper to be found than that. 

I'd forgotten the state of those shocks!  I did mention it when the tyres were changed and rotated, and the guys there said honestly not to worry about it, they're not leaking and are working fine.  

Had been in the back of my mind to do, but as is often the way with "I'd like to get that done" jobs on a car that's in daily use, they often end up slipping.

Especially when you have too damn many cars and not enough time.

Considering Sachs is the most reputable brand out of all of the ones shown above (followed by kyb) and also the lowest price that would be an easy pick if specs are the same.

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I'd forgotten the state of those shocks!  I did mention it when the tyres were changed and rotated, and the guys there said honestly not to worry about it, they're not leaking and are working fine.  

Had been in the back of my mind to do, but as is often the way with "I'd like to get that done" jobs on a car that's in daily use, they often end up slipping.

Especially when you have too damn many cars and not enough time.

100% got you on those jobs to be done, later. 

Just decided earlier after being pointed out by one of the guys on RR’s that it is functional, out of sight and ugly, so to leave it alone till it demanded change for functions sake.

3 hours ago, Schaefft said:

Considering Sachs is the most reputable brand out of all of the ones shown above (followed by kyb) and also the lowest price that would be an easy pick if specs are the same.

As mentioned above,I will stand by on the spending till the car demands it.

Makes a load of sense. 

So glass tinting 101.

Never tint outdoors
Never tint in winter
Don’t tint in the rain
Just don’t tint. 

Of course rules are for losers.

So I dismantled one of the side glass windows and brought it indoors.

Carefully……..

After first duct tape securing the glass.

E344970E-304A-41D7-9A3D-1B53D2048EE9.jpe

89F8C37A-EDED-4162-9C45-DD7CE6C29A0F.jpe

After putting some cushions on the floor for a soft landing.

FDF97A7E-C5B4-4282-86F1-A65C2C80B028.jpe

Lino tint film applied.

Glass is concave.

Glass shape means there is too much film.

Concave means that you need to shrink it somehow,

Heat gun and a load of repeated squeegeeing action till done.

81F18D70-419E-47C9-947D-A52649C9464E.jpe

Fitted back in, in the rain. 

Not ideal as the duct tape does not stick when pouring rain on glass. 

Anyway, wheels bin, cushion to hold in place and a prayer that it did not fall and smash itself to bits.

Carefully climbed in the rear of the van and screwed the first two hinge screws back in.

Then the third one fought me, a lot, eventually I walked away. 

Frustrated.

9C21D75E-DFA7-4B95-AC2D-B81FD80C95C6.jpe

And for those interested, what it looks like from the inside through the limo tint, 95% 

Look at the green steel cabinet in the background, both regular and tinted visible.

Before

IMG_0971.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

After. 

39913AD7-A231-4FDF-A649-BCFF770952DA.jpe

When it was raining I threw the wet cushions back into the lounge while completing the job.

Closed up the Caddy and came back indoors.

Someone liked the cushions.

Helper cat.

Dick.

BFE41C9A-81A9-4066-9BAB-B8AD0BB729FA.jpe

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for glass tinting. 

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 4

Looks good!  

Always wanted to get those windows out anyway so I could clean in around the seals properly anyway.  

Hopefully the tint will help make it into slightly less of a solar powered oven on sunny days too.

PS. Yes in my experience, applying tint film is a job which would test the patience of a saint.  Several dozen times over.  

10 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Looks good!  

Always wanted to get those windows out anyway so I could clean in around the seals properly anyway.  

Hopefully the tint will help make it into slightly less of a solar powered oven on sunny days too.

PS. Yes in my experience, applying tint film is a job which would test the patience of a saint.  Several dozen times over.  

Morning mate.

Thank you.

So being that all the glass is concave, and winter is not conducive to easy application, a couple of saints will be going to hell by the conclusion of all this fun and games.

I also know what you mean about unfinished or prospective jobs and dreams on builds, projects and dailies.

Sold pretty much every car with a mental unfinished items list. 

Hopefully today delivers on one that every previous owner including @Marm Toastsmith and @Rocket88 and who knows who else, had in mind.

Rear bumper…..?

May have found one to work on 50 miles from here in the south, near Rye.

Headed there by 9.30.

IMG_8891.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Certainly better looking than the one fitted.

Some work on this one, and then pray that the re-engineered back end accepts it once the pieces of the existing bumper are removed.

IMG_8898.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit 

IMG_8897.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit 

IMG_8896.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit 

IMG_8895.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit 

IMG_8894.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

More later,

Hopefully the next glass tint if the weather improves.

Friday as well.

Double bonus.
  • Like 4

Up early-ish to get going and head down to near Rye after being offered a “complete but needing a bit of work” rear bumper after the other guy offering a broken one turned into what seems to be a bit of a w@nker. 

Looked like a great day to tint windows.

But priorities.

IMG_8893.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

SatNav took me down some real narrow lanes and back roads, but makes for an interesting drive again.

IMG_2375.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Also scored some large apples from Justin’s trees, and most importantly,,a VW centre cap he had found by the roadside presented me with the ring I was looking for to keep a centre cap in place.

IMG_2378.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

One of the toys that go into his camper van……

IMG_2377.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Loads of clever touches.

Like these old denim jeans, recycled to form door upholstery, and also have pockets to keep various items in.

IMG_2380.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

While there, we also looked at his Baywindow bus with a home grown Subaru conversion.

Filmed for @grenade specifically.

Apparently a real pleasure out on the motorway.

https://youtu.be/L3i51XC0A3Y?si=BM98q_pQR6PrEh2z

After two hours chatting about everything from Solar to fireworks and making gunpowder, I headed out home.

Saw a small shunting loco, trainspotters will correct me.

IMG_2381.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

And pulled over to get a pic of a rainbow during a break in the rain. 

IMG_2383.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Back home via my local village to pick up meds and some random foodstuffs.

Unloaded back home.

Chuffed.

IMG_2389.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

And laid to rest.

This made me grin again.

IMG_2396.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Got to be better than this one.

If I can remove it successfully and reinstall the new one, and then clean it up and fill the dent, or soften and push the plastic out, followed by paint and colour matching.

595C68FF-D9EA-4E7E-A621-22DD01654294.jpe

47550F6D-F1D3-4D77-90C6-EBBB249DF55D.jpe

After a coffee and sandwich it was 3.00pm and I decided that sometimes sitting doing nothing beats going out to tint glass or do something constructive, so weekend on.

Netflix and another coffee next.

Quick out of sync post.

Some of you may know that despite not going down the £1000 wheel route, I do like a wheel, and even more so of they are normal, but one can make them look a bit different.

And even more so, those wheels you find from other makes that fit your car and makes people scratch their heads in wonder. 

So I was looking out for some interesting, non-standard/non-VAG wheels to maybe add to the Caddy.

Had seen some 1990’s Renault Safrane wheels that would go great in two or three colours.

Yea, I like to make work for myself.

But the offset was wrong.

Chatting to mate Matt @pegasus about wheels, he started throwing some very pretty £250.00 plus restored wheels my way, excluding tyres and shipping.

I declined all his suggestions, despite a few nice sets coming through and said I prefer shitty sub £100.00 wheels that then ended up costing me another £200.00 to get looking good, plus tyres. The wheels and tyres on the S10 ultimately went on at £950.00 or thereabouts, completely stupid I know. 

So next day Matt and I were chatting about other stuff and girls, when he again raised the subject of getting some nice wheels on the Caddy. 
I said it is a scruffy 21 year old van, and I am not planning to fit expensive, super shiny wheels on it, because unlike ratlook or barnfind cars that have that distinct work look that really shows off the wheels, this thing was just not enough in either camp.
I would carry on looking to see if I could find wheels that I liked and could be acquired relatively cheaply and then either fitted directly, or cheaply, to blend more with the cars scrapes and age. 

Next reply from him kinda bowled me over.

Of course I have done similar things in different ways over the years, but I struggle overall to accept kindness.

4CAD7B75-D36A-44E7-97E6-9206FD857359.jpe

I did decline.

Then, typically a few days later I found some wheels I liked the look of on a Caddy group on FB.

Enquiring and realising they could be part of another trip, I had planned for the Sunday, I agreed with the owner to go look at the wheels he had. No price yet established. 
But I told Matt I had found some cheap wheels I liked. 

More in a bit.