Cars, Lasses and Lads - A Photo Sharing Thread

Dick Longbridge

18 hours ago, martc said:

image.png.e120271c88c40910885c1c1af8075763.png

Did posh people have personalised reg numbers back then*, or was this Ford issued with 5LPE? @LightBulbFun

*I'm guessing this pic was taken in the '60's judging by it's 'feel'.

13 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

back then they would of been known as cherished numbers, since back then if someone had a "personal plate" on their car it was usually a family matter or something that genuine meaning to the owner, ie the number plate would be off of the very first car the family ever owned, great-grandad's Austin 7 or something such, its where the term Cherished transfer comes from 

todays "personalised reg" phenomenon only really started to take off in the 1980's and has only sadly gotten worse since 

5LPE is July 1959 issue,  tho that looks more like a 1960's ford to me, so in this particular case it may well be a cherished/personal mark?

Mk3 Zodiac was introduced in 1962, so it is probably a cherished plate transfer from a 1959 car. 5 LPE is either now on retention or lost.

I remembering reading reg ads in the Exchange and Mart back in the 1970s when the values started to go up.

44 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Mk3 Zodiac was introduced in 1962, so it is probably a cherished plate transfer from a 1959 car. 5 LPE is either now on retention or lost.

I remembering reading reg ads in the Exchange and Mart back in the 1970s when the values started to go up.

Yes I do too, back then I think you or someone had to have contacts and possibly little brown envelopes to facilitate the transfer. 😉

2 hours ago, colnerov said:

Yes I do too, back then I think you or someone had to have contacts and possibly little brown envelopes to facilitate the transfer. 😉

The first reg transfer took place in 1904. No need for a backhander to transfer, anyone could do it.

Guide to Cherished Numbers | History of Private Number Plates | Elite Registrations

3 March 1904 - First Vehicle to Vehicle Transfer
The first transfer of a registration from one vehicle to another was on 3rd March 1904, when Dr. Robert Lauder of Southampton, transferred the registration CR 1 from a 5hp Kimberley car to an 11hp Clement.

1956 - 1962
By 1956 the registration A 1 had been transferred 37 times and a few years later was sold for £2,500. The resultant publicity about this fantastic sum of money being exchanged for the right to display a particular registration number on a car was the likely catalyst for general interest. By 1960 Local Taxation Offices were inundated with requests for distinctive registrations. It became the first sale of registration marks by Government Departments. The cost was £5 (inclusive of transfer) no matter what registration you wanted. Within two years the demand was so overwhelming that it was stopped altogether.

• Agree 1