Collection fred

montytom

Ok so not having done one of these properly I thought I'd do my own. 

I was sat looking through facebook and saw a cheap fiat panda(bad news- more about that later).

We agreed a price and got sent these pictures.received_419148069229758.thumb.jpeg.3e9e9fcf8af3ab796834fd9f19c5a6ae.jpeg

received_308753493772633.thumb.jpeg.2c60ddcca373c0aa9f76e3bdc4671873.jpegreceived_440920683744232.thumb.jpeg.290f7d097e16d0b488f13690aeb192f8.jpegreceived_145435927121610.thumb.jpeg.4b61958796aec7c05d942c0ffcce50a3.jpegreceived_733367187602402.thumb.jpeg.9199374d12d8c46b4fa35ff6d1b4f928.jpegreceived_212481407080373.thumb.jpeg.810dc290b7e9783691e6ce988a4a41e3.jpeg

well we agreed a price and my father and I made our way to pick it up. 

It's a 2005 1.2 dynamic.

Got there and took it for a quick run and all seemed ok so paid the money and left. Within 5 miles the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and on harsh acceleration the car revs out. Nearly home and 5th gear popped out 3 times. 

Feeling dejected we parked up. It drives really lovely apart from that. Looking forward to getting the clutch-maybe gearbox sorted and then take it on a little run. 

Anyway heres my pictures. I have not long been in so the pictures arent great as it's dark outside20201222_181521.thumb.jpg.59b7a40dad2747ddc01acd17465770ef.jpg20201222_181510.thumb.jpg.440313cb2d008c2043c089416da47a75.jpg20201222_181418.thumb.jpg.e230561b794a1cfeb0ee410cee72f1a5.jpg

I know these are popular on here so hopefully I will ok to ask questions. Thanks in advance Thomas

37 minutes ago, Shirley Knott said:

That rotten luck- Hopefully a replacement box from a breaker and a new clutch will see you with a decent car though.

Thankyou I'm hoping its maybe just a clutch and maybe a cable but will have to sort a box out in the near future. Thanks again 

Took the car to the garage for them to judge what it needs. I have not got any space to do a clutch change at the moment neither the time. I should find out tomorrow what it needs. I took a couple of interior pictures but as it was dark they dont show to well20201222_204303.thumb.jpg.06c7a2fd04a919e4af846f45add12e5a.jpg20201222_204306.thumb.jpg.778c89b48a9e33e1bdc755c7a36b425d.jpg

heres hoping it's something easy.

12 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Terrible luck on the drivetrain front, but it really looks a lovely thing. I've got a lot of liking for Pandas right now! Let's hope it can be mended on a reasonable budget.

Thankyou I've had a hankering for them for a while an old friend of mine wanted the 100hp version a while ago and since then they have had me interested in the more mundane versions. 

Once it's all done I should enjoy plenty of miles I'm sure. 

As above my focus has cost £460 just to pass the MOT so I am hoping it's something silly.

You've already spent the money on the car.  If you bridge it, its lost.  So the question is, could you get anything better for the money it costs to repair it?

If the car is otherwise sound spending the money could be the most cost effective response, and if you get two years out of it that would be cheap motoring.

I don't know what your mechanical knowledge / spannering ability is, but now's the time to learn if it's not brilliant.

I'm guessing, and if it wasn't for COVID and the rest of the shit I'd have been in Torbay this week so would have bobbed down the road to see this, that the slave / master probably want a service kit (seals etc) and the major expense will be the clutch kit, and ECP list them from £50. 

Unless the garage has stripped the 'box and fully examined it I wouldn't worry about that, yet, as strange things happen when clutches go tits.

It's your choice, but these are dead easy to work on and are ace when sorted.

By the way, it's a Leeds registered car and looks excellent.

5 hours ago, Gazebo said:

You've already spent the money on the car.  If you bridge it, its lost.  So the question is, could you get anything better for the money it costs to repair it?

If the car is otherwise sound spending the money could be the most cost effective response, and if you get two years out of it that would be cheap motoring.

Thanks I appreciate that but I physically do not have the time nor space to do the work myself. I'm working long hours and work is an hour each way so the shortest day including travelling is 15 hours.

We have totted up the costs and I'm not going to get much if any change from a £1000 to get it running again. 

The car looks tidy but has deep scratches all over down to the bare metal which has rusted. I should have realised. 

I've told the garage I'll be down Tuesday so have a few days to decide.

5 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

I don't know what your mechanical knowledge / spannering ability is, but now's the time to learn if it's not brilliant.

I'm guessing, and if it wasn't for COVID and the rest of the shit I'd have been in Torbay this week so would have bobbed down the road to see this, that the slave / master probably want a service kit (seals etc) and the major expense will be the clutch kit, and ECP list them from £50. 

Unless the garage has stripped the 'box and fully examined it I wouldn't worry about that, yet, as strange things happen when clutches go tits.

It's your choice, but these are dead easy to work on and are ace when sorted.

By the way, it's a Leeds registered car and looks excellent.

Thanks my dad actually drove it to the garage for me. I drove it home but he turned around and said your gearbox is knackered. The box makes a hell of a whine. I just get caught up in buying things and tend to gloss over the issues then get home and realise its needing to much work. The condition isnt great in all honesty and I work long hours and then with travelling. I also have nowhere to do the work myself. 

The car has been bodged anyway. I never noticed but they said things are just cable tied all over the place.

I have a few days to decide

3 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

been an orange 09 reg one for sale close to me for £450, has 180,000 on it...was tempted but the orange seats have seen some "action" quite a few dubious stains!!

This one has blue ones underneath seat coverings but they are nearly grey with wear and grime so I left the seat coverings on. 

Thinking about it. If anyone wants the car for free they can take it. Needs to be gone by new year. I'd rather it not go to waste so anyone who wants it can have it. Its motd till october next year and also is insured and taxed to get you home (if the gearbox lasts that long) sometimes the pedal goes to the floor. It revs when trying to accelerate slowly. The gearbox makes unsavoury noises. 

I have the green slip but have used it to tax the car.

3 minutes ago, Gazebo said:

It sounds worse and worse as you describe it, so take your point.

The reason I made my suggestion was that a friend of mine always said to me "The cheapest car you can have is the one you already own". 

It might not be in this case.

Thankyou I'll always take advice. If it needed just a clutch I would have done that but with everything else I'll just cut my losses. My dads putting me on his car as the main driver so while my 75 is off the road(that's the driveway space used) I can use that.

I always appreciate people who try to guide and inform me. Thanks again Thomas