Excessive shite....

CortinaDave

Not quite sure how this has happened... I like to limit myself to three shitty cars, currently I have EIGHT... and unsurprisingly that makes me a skint boy...But I'm stuck as I cant really flog any of it at the moment.. 2x Probes. the white one I bought a couple of months ago, on which the gearbox promptly went bang. Managed to get another box but despite my best efforts, no - one i spoke to would fit it. Can't get rid of it as I want to transfer the plate off it and sell some parts to minimise losses and cant do that till the V5 for the other probe comes throughProbe number 2 - wasnt going to buy another, but then a stupidly cheap one came up, with every toy known to man - my new daily.2x calibras.... Blue one I've had for 18 months, technically now my girlfriend's, although she doesnt want it... Its fairly clapped out now but i cant sell it till i get the LPG transferred off it onto probe no. 2 which i cant afford to do because i have too many shite motors eating up my cash. Ran out of tax at the end of dec which is causing problems as I've nowhere to put it and i have evil neighbours who will report it.Calibra number 2 - bloody good car, never any hassle, and can always be relied upon. But with an exhaust that would wake the dead courtesy of the chav previous owner. Cant sell it as I dont know the new probe well enough to know that its not going to break like the last one did and leave me in the shit when i need to get to work.Vectra SRI - went on fire last august, claim still going through with insurance. This also has an LPG kit on it, but my insurance co have a "no buy back " policy. If i knew i could get this kit back i could sell calibra no. 1. Nothing I can really do about this particular car at present - at least its at the insurance garage, not my door!Fiesta - Girlfriend's daily - a super- crap L reg povo spec fester, faded to a nasty shade of pink, but which the missus loves and refuses to part with. I keep waiting for it to break down so i can scrap it but it never does, for which i give it grudging respect.Mk3 Cortina GXL.... had this since i was 18 - ten years now. Needs a respray and a new back panel, but i fell out with the bloke that would normally do this for me. Been off the road for about a year, sitting in my drive. Not sure what to do with it now, but ive had it so long i couldnt sell it.Mk4 cortina 2.0S - great car, off road for winter... paid too much for it which i wouldnt get back, plus as my other one is fooked its my only on- road cortina... and if i sold it i couldnt call myself cortinadave. hmmso .. negative bank balance and far too many cars.. but what do i get rid of?

Personally I'd get rid of the dead Probe and dead Calibra asap. I guess you will lose money on what they owe you but I suppose its better just to cut your losses rather than have them eating any more cash.I had at one point five or six cars a few years back, mainly rusty and needed a huge amount of money throwing at them not to mention a lot of time. In the end I had a big clear out, lost money on the lot but ended up keeping two or three decent ones which I could keep on top of.Now got three plus company car. Though I am getting tempted again...

^^^^^^^^^What he said.I was in a similar situation during the middle of last year, I had six heaps plus a company car and one out on loan. Two things made me come to my senses - looking at my eBay purchasing activity for the last 120 days, and spending an entire Bank Holiday weekend, in the pissing rain, trying to get things done.So I got shot ASAP, and in the end I lost money on most of 'em but made on others - I reckon I ended up about £300 out of pocket. But much richer for the experience. It's actually quite nice not to get covered in oil and grease every single Saturday and Sunday now, and my wife is very pleased. In fairness to her she never said anything, but did comment she was glad I realised I was in over my head.I do take my hat off to the good chaps of this board who juggle multiple motoring maladies - but for the moment 2 (plus the wife's) is enough for me!

Where to start?????2 Fiat 1100r's, aCroma, a 127, a 128, 3 Strada's, 3 Saabs, 3 Dattie's, a Fregate, Ren 17 & 21t, Fiat Coupe & 3 bikes are all taxed and on the road-and (mostly) off the property!Mid repair are a 65 Transit, Standard Pennant (1500 + o/d gbox) Fiat 1100r, 1100d, 850saloon, FSO, Standard Flying 9, Alfa 33 sportwagon, Mazda 121, Simca Aronde break, Ren 12 van (4by4) Fiat 850 spyder and a few more.Awaiting repair -dont even think about it!! 21 on the road -12 + mid repair.Can anyone beat that?

It most definately is a sickness. Thankfully I have recovered a bit from when it was at it's worst (50 cars) and now I'm down to a nice sensible 24. This will reduce further this year hopefully!I think once you get past the point of having 4 or 5 cars you are then on the slippery slope to having dozens. Dangerous territory.

Where do I store them? Currently, mk3 cortina and clapped out calibra in my drive, fester and working probe on the street outsideWorking calibra parked a few streets away, mk4 cortina and broken probe parked in my mums drive.I take my hat off to those of you that have had dozens at one time. I just cant seem to turn down tat at bargain prices. I have the chance of another cortina just now as well, one I've always had my eye on - a mk4 2.3 Ghia... go only knows where that will go if i get it.Plan of action:Sent an email to the bloke i bought probe number 2 from asking him if he can post off the log book in a hurry so i can get it through in my name asap and transfer the plate from the other probe. While im waiting on that I'll ebay it as a whole and see if i get any interest.. it still has a lot of test, a bit of tax and a replacement box in the boot. If no interest i will flog the TSW alloys off it, sell the new distributor thats on it (notorious probe weak spot) on the probe club site and phone the scrappy to lift the rest - they are currently paying £100 so hopefully i can raise £250 at least out of it in total I'm going to credit card the LPG transfer onto the new probe so i can get shot of the clapped out calibra.. then whap it on ebay.. although its tired, its got 5 mths ticket and nothing actually wrong with it beyond clapped-out-nessTry to persuade the missus to use the good calibra instead of the fester and flog that, or just hang onto bothRun the mk3 'tina down to my mate in the borders who can sort the back panel while i decide whether to keep it or not.so that would leave - mk4 tina and probe for me and calibra or fester for the missus.Hopefully these measures will get me back to sensibility again

Ah, shite overload. I know it well. All too often I find myself with too many cars in too many inappropriate locations and with too little time. Roll on some fine weather and progress may be made. At least I might be able to use my speedy shite soon as the HG is gettin' fixed on the BMW soon. Having endured 300 miles in the disastra van today, I can hardly wait!!!

If the plate on Probe 1 is worth money then SELL it to raise some readies rather than spend more £££ swapping it to another car.This probably won't help, but I find the idea of having two "dailies" just in case one of them breaks to be a cute extravagance :lol:Best of luck with sorting it all out, at one stage while in Edinburgh I had six cars which were two in my own garages, one in a friend's, two taxed (only one insured and MOTd) and the sixth sitting on the road on false Jersey plates so as it wouldn't get stiffed for no tax!! Sorted it out by selling the two taxed cars, putting one of the garaged ones on the road and dismantling the one with fake ID.

plate's not worth anything, It's just that its an ageless number so I thought since i had it I'd be as well to take it.2 dailies is probably pushing it, but i seem to have a knack of killing heaps fairly quickly... i do 40 - odd k a year so it helps to have a couple of cars to spread it between as much as anything, and that calibra has a fair bit of life in it yet, so im reluctant to part with it!

In my experience it's women in general. Which is why I'm staying resolutely single for the moment. I'm sure there is the odd lady out there who appreciates the attraction of crap old cars, but I have yet to find one. I even bought my last girlfriend a Talbot Horizon to try and bring her round, but it didn't work.

That's a superb idea Wuvvum! There's a lass at my work I quite like, I'm going to stick a knackered Charade in her front garden. I will also write a poem on the MOT fail sheet, something along the lines of "roses are red, violets are blue, it needs the sills welding before it goes through".Then prison.

Maybe I'm just a bit lucky then, Mrs L quite likes old cars (though only since she met me!) and is even planning to use the R4 as a wedding car when we get married !I would love to own more cars, however the normal lack of time / space / money prevents me from doing so. If I could give up work and yet somehow become rich then it would be a whole different ball game!

There's a lass at my work I quite like, I'm going to stick a knackered Charade in her front garden. I will also write a poem on the MOT fail sheet, something along the lines of "roses are red, violets are blue, it needs the sills welding before it goes through".

Then prison.

rofflez!!!1!

That's a superb idea Wuvvum! There's a lass at my work I quite like, I'm going to stick a knackered Charade in her front garden. I will also write a poem on the MOT fail sheet, something along the lines of "roses are red, violets are blue, it needs the sills welding before it goes through".

Roses are red,My Ball Joints are worn,But just like old J Tin,You give me the horn.

Then prison.

Very likely I think :)