When is it time to call it a day ?

Jewel25

2 hours ago, lanciamatt said:

It's personal choice, I've spent far more on old lancias getting them back road worthy than what there worth. Most people say I'm stupid but to me it's more than money, I just like the cars. As the saying goes someone's rubbish is someone else's treasure 

Similar here, but I have also cut my losses. My VW baywindow went for a grand less than it could have, just for a couple of days work. But it had fought me so much that I just didn’t want to touch it again. Sometimes a car is worth no end of hassle and expense, others you are happy when you see them driving away. 

25 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Similar here, but I have also cut my losses. My VW baywindow went for a grand less than it could have, just for a couple of days work. But it had fought me so much that I just didn’t want to touch it again. Sometimes a car is worth no end of hassle and expense, others you are happy when you see them driving away. 

The bay window bit rang true with me - mine fought me every step of the way, lost several grand overall in money spent.  Some vehicles just don’t seem to want to live! 

16 minutes ago, rusty_vw_man said:

The bay window bit rang true with me - mine fought me every step of the way, lost several grand overall in money spent.  Some vehicles just don’t seem to want to live! 

I spent an age on mine and a lot of money. Then as soon as it was ready I found that the driving position murdered my bad shoulder and I was in agony on anything over an hours drive. I tried new seats, extended gear levers and a few other tricks to no avail. Then it shat it’s engine on the ‘one last try’ trip to France, two months of parts collection and engine rebuild later it was ready to go. I booked it for an MoT ready to sell and the fecker wouldn’t start due to a seized starter, swapped that out and went for the MoT, it failed but not badly, then on the way home I could smell fuel (not good on these as you know, but I had a plumbed in fire extinguisher just in case), pulled over and the less than a year old fuel pipe had split and pissed fuel everywhere. At that point I just couldn’t face doing the work for the MoT as just looking at it stressed me out. It was sold as a genuine ‘easy fix.

Some cars just don’t want you to help them.

• 2 weeks later...

This would be worth having. It's a bit of an outlay but it means that needing a brake pipe in future would be an inconvenience rather than a showstopper. Even it it isn't a pipe you quite often end up having to cut a pipe when changing calipers or hoses. That type of tool (£33ish on its own) is generally regarded as the best DIY option, the ones you get in a kit for £10-£20 are more difficult to use and son't always work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283613191439

s-l500.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well it's nearly July and it's still sat there. I've been working during lockdown so haven't had time to do anything. Having been browsing eBay etc... For a road going replacement , nothing has come up. Like someone said , taking it off the road was the worst thing to do. Both inner arches need welding it seems too. That said , the external bodywork is pretty much immaculate, it's a gorgeous car . 

Now things are up and running , I ought to get a few quotes. 

Anyone in or near Leicester fancy the work ?

On 11/21/2019 at 6:48 PM, New POD said:

£1100? 

That's less than a full service at a main dealer on a Citroen xantia in 1998.  Ref: one of my brother in laws 

I have gradually reached the conclusion that value of the car you are fixing is irrelevant.  If it were worth £20k you'd think NOTHING of spending £1100 on it. It's the environmentally sensible thing to do.

Google Durable car ownership. 

someone has JUST "liked" my post.

Bit late.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:32 PM, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Get in touch with 'Al Bundy' off here, he's a tame welder in Leicester, I bet he'd tackle this for you

Thanks for the recommendation. I have used Al before , he was brilliant. Very tidy job he did. 

I miss having a Rover to drive. I've had one since passing in 2003 when i was 18. I just don't get the same feeling driving other more competent cars !