classic motor oil

lisbon_road

I have some 20/50 my mate got me from Unipart cheap, I can't remember what brand it is, do they do their own brand?  If so it is probably that

Anyway its been sat in the garage waiting to be used to change the oil in my Mk2 Granada.  In all likelihood it will probably remain exactly where it is until eventually getting sold with the car, such is my enthusiasm level for tinkering around with old bangers lately.

I have used Halford's Classic, the old Duckham's years ago when some came with a car I bought (I thought I read it had made a comeback - thanks Trevor), some cheap crap when I was a student (branded Route 66 or something), but for years now I have stuck to Morris Lubricants for all my oils. That has nothing to do with me having Morris cars, btw. It just seems to be a good quality oil that isn't too thick in the winter. The Allegro gets expensive Miller's 'classic Mini oil' because of the shared lubrication, and it does make a lot of difference.

The main thing in attaining long engine life is sticking to a good branded oil and changing the oil and filter regularly. For old cars I do this every 3,000 miles. And coolant every two or three years dependent on anti-freeze life.

Obviously, a cold engine should never be raced. Nor should it be left idling 'to warm it up'. The best thing to do is start up, wait a moment, adjust the choke to use as little as possible (preferably set to a fast tickover) then drive off.

• Like 2

The main thing in attaining long engine life is sticking to a good branded oil and changing the oil and filter regularly. For old cars I do this every 3,000 miles. And coolant every two or three years dependent on anti-freeze life.

Obviously, a cold engine should never be raced. Nor should it be left idling 'to warm it up'. The best thing to do is start up, wait a moment, adjust the choke to use as little as possible (preferably set to a fast tickover) then drive off.

Agree with both statements, the path to longer & more reliable engine life without doubt, I don't care what it is from £50 PoS upwards.

The 'warming up' of the engine has made something of a reappearance in the last few years IMO (esp with diesels), I don't know why, I tell people, just drive gently away, don't race or labour the engine (either is bad news). The only type of engines you 'warm up' are piston aero engines and that's only because they are run at full throttle on take-off and climb out, you can't gently take-off! So you have to get a bit of heat into the oil & engine parts.

• Like 1

Guest Hooli

Agreed here too with the proviso that if I'm scraping the car then it's running on full defrost to sort the inside out while I'm doing the outside.

I have some 20/50 my mate got me from Unipart cheap, I can't remember what brand it is, do they do their own brand?  If so it is probably that

I think Unipart oil was Fuchs but if I'm wrong it's another name you would recognise. They might have changed supplier by now anyway.

If that Granny has a Cologne V6 then 20W50 is too thick.

It would also benefit from some extra ZDDP.

If it?  I did not realise this.  I just vaguely remembered my dad servicing his with Castrol GTX and i'm fairly certain that was 20/50.

I'll water it down with some petrol or something..

Go full “old skool” with the original Duckhams 20/50 which has had a recent re-release

https://www.duckhams.com

The 20/50 even refers to optimised zddp levels. But most importantly, it’s green. Go on, you know you want to...