1992 Range Rover - the economy vehicle

N Dentressangle

Especially for @Nibblet, a quick update.

With my usual donkey Series 3 doing duties as an expedition vehicle for camping on our field:

FZ46oSJ.jpg

I ended up collecting 1/2 a ton of stone from @Nibblet the posh* and luxurious* way. Here's what was in the back of the RR, minus another layer we'd unloaded before I remembered to take a pic:

rYMXCTL.jpg

and here's how we set off, having parried various rude suggestions from @Nibbletabout the integrity of my boot floor:

3zXP5Sd.jpg

There was a slight smell of hot rubber when I got to my destination, which I put down to burnt bump stops ?

I've always thought the RR Classic's track looked a bit narrow for its body. It's a hangover from the '60s design, I guess, where many cars seem to be styled by the same guys who gave us such greats as the Commer van:

ebay365349.jpg

My year of RR was the first to get anti-roll bars. Earlier cars are apparently even more like the above van than mine is to drive, but even so I've felt the stability on roundabouts etc left a bit to be desired.

I thought I'd go cheap early, and try a set of 30mm wheel spacers. It's running 205 width tyres which are way too new to change, and I rather like the naff old body colour 3 spoke wheels, so they're staying. However, I fitted the spacers today and roundabouts do seem a bit less like tacking in a Laser. Maybe my imagination though.

I've had bucketloads* of top class fanny since I fitted them anyway, so I'm happy.

Here's some pics. Of the car, not the fanny:

khkn4ob.jpg

KrVUqNB.jpg

1JwbRUb.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 1:05 PM, N Dentressangle said:

Maybe those of us here over 40 will have a similar trajectory of views of the Range Rover as me:

Growing up: car for posh people, as in 'what's the difference between a hedgehog and a Range Rover?'

20s-30s: moneypit heap, driven by wide boys, the kind of car drug dealers get murdered in

40+: Quite fancy one, actually

What once seemed an over-complex load of thirsty trouble now starts to look basic enough for DIY, and practical enough as an everyday car as long the mileage isn't too great. Having a Series 3 as an everyday car, mpg in the teens wasn't that scary, and getting places without feeling like I'd been beaten up and shouted at as well as robbed seemed quite attractive. One of three ain't bad...

The other side looked OK too:

nZ6CWXD.jpg

Interior and footwells didn't seem too bad. No evidence of badger baiting anywhere, and someone seemed to have repaired the previous grot reasonably well:

iafqhDh.jpg

9VRWZnU.jpg

n4lBuK6.jpg

About right!

owned 3 'classics' a J (original)reg 3door , p (original)reg 3 door and a M reg (later) 5door softdash Tdi...  V8 sounds glorious BUT 9Mpg round town lost its appeal...the Tdi averaged 30Mpg with larger intercooler, turbo boost altered, pump tuned and i believe a slight tune, was weird feeling the car sink at 50Mph as the suspension went into 'aerodynamic' mode (LOL) .

also owned a 3door V8 discovery that managed 16Mpg....god knows how!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...