CLK320... save it from the bridge! £199 4 weeks MOT

Liggle

Is this a diesel? Sounds like stuck/sticky injector or injector seal blowing.

Take the cover off....is there any black death? (Evidence of oil sooty carbon build up around any of the injectors)

I reckon this is the very early beginnings of injector seal going. Get it done asar than wait as the black death will take over and it’ll be ny on impossible to get the injectors out to replace the little o rings (seals)

Just done mine on my sprinter...

Is this a diesel? Sounds like stuck/sticky injector or injector seal blowing.

No, its a petrol. Lots of vids on YouTube of the same thing, most are cured by engine flush and oil change or oil treatment. That'll be my first stop, just invested in a Pela pump (wanted an excuse to buy one for ages) so will get that done at the weekend. 

Replaced the caliper:

0d10533bfc895d01e5beb5cac2bba6cd.jpg

This would explain the sticking, torn seal and loads of rust and crap around the piston:

2fb76979199b336bab36211fd441c8b7.jpg

Nicely glazed and cracked pads:

cf7c2821333397f5f8ffe030ed7b336c.jpg

I read online about holding the engine at 4K rpm in a gear for a minute or so to see if the tapping cleared and it only bloody worked! Must be oil flow related, engine flush and oil change planned for the weekend. It’s behaving for now!

Waaaahhhhhhh ^^^^^ can you explain exactly what you did? Were you stationary or on the move?.....intrigued by this!

Just held it in second once moving and up to 4.5k rpm, drove like that until the road speed limit changed and it had cleared!

It cleared but came back slightly around 1.5k rpm but cleared once you revved above this under load. Cold start the next day it was rattling again but cleared once driven round the block and warmed up, hoping to play with my new Pela pump toy and flush/change the oil this evening. 

• 5 months later...

Well several months and 2k+ miles later the engine has been sweet as a nut, has literally never rattled again. I used it for commuting for a bit and it tipped 30mpg regularly. 

This will be taking part in a charity rally from Sunday onwards, we will be covering over 2500 miles in 5 days as part of the 'Gib or Bust' 2018 rally. 

That also means in approx. 2 weeks time it'll be up for sale/roffle, I'll post up when I am back with the details. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is being scrapped the end of next week unless anyone on here wants it?

Just completed a charity banger rally in it, did over 3000 miles in a week.

Good points:

- MOT until 9th Nov
- Drives well
- I put 4 brand new Falken tyres on it 4k ago
- Recent front caliper & pads, battery & exhaust (battery alone was over £100)

- Pulls well and we achieved 30mpg on fast motorway runs without fail

Bad points:

- Had to put some K seal type stuff in but its not used a drop of water since, and its never over-heated, I put it in as a pre-caution due to coolant dropping every few hundred miles
- Random hesitation when hot in traffic, brand new Bosch crank sensor included
- Surface rust, but solid underneath

Needs to be collected between 18th and 20th October otherwise it'll be scrapped locally for £199 hence the price. All the remaining stickers are removable, just not got the time/inclination. 

4871cbace16769dc406caf39bac34333.jpgecb576498a9792ae3a4b2870a805a243.jpgf858256f75a0e618ed1b3859f1de7eea.jpg75f7da07976900dd5c9a96973a92f189.jpgdf128641ae1107af6c20eede50afb9d3.jpg

£199 - nuts! If you can do some spannering I think CLKs are one of the best bargains out there at the moment. If anyone is tempted by this, then also buy yourself a copy of the "Mercedes WIS" on the bay of delights. This will give you access to all part numbers whichis invaluable in running one of these. CLK320s were about £35K plus in real terms.

Hopefully this won't be turned into bean cans. I did chuckle that the original owner chose the fully electronic seat adjustment option, but went with cloth.