Vauxhall Carlton Mk1 project spotted in salvage yard £300

Mr_Bo11ox

Yo, I was in 'ABC Salvage' in Brum yesterday and spotted this festering in a corner:

lTjQikl.jpg

14WDOTZ.jpg

vxyoaMe.jpg

gcHb8Wf.jpg

wLhp78w.jpg

EmbBpBg.jpg

Its pretty crispy along the bottom edge of the rear screen, but that doesn't stop it being cool as f**k. The lad wants 300 quid or thereabouts which sounds fair enough. Lot of work but a Mk1 Carlton is a seriously rare old bus!!!! Would.

• Like 20

My uncle had a white one, in estate flavour, with a blue interior as a company car. Me and my sister used to ride in the boot facing backwards because we were cool.

The Owd Giffer had a 1980 Opel Rekord version for 10 years from '82, until he replaced it with a six-cylinder aero Carlton.  

Blander front end, 'quieter' colour schemes, but otherwise much the same.  Brilliant motor which got handed down through the family, but feck me it was hanging by the time my uncle killed it in the mid-90s.

There is a white one around the corner from me... have never seen it move...just parked there for about the last few years..

end of reg plate reads 555V

Auto as well! Hope it works better than the box in the Rekord estate I had on loan from djimbob way back when I was at Uni... that thing burnt nearly as much oil as it did petrol. Went well, though - as long as you mastered the whole pulling away with the fucked autobox thing, that is.

Happy days :-D

Stunning! I reckon these "zero added grille" model Carltons are one of the best looking Vauxhalls of all time.

Here's one I saw at a show in Leeds ages ago:

3648637184_c1b242d3ee_o.jpg

"is only a car show, if i take a piss here no one will notice" :)

Bren is right,, its bound to need plenty of welding, but it is flippin well cool. If I didn't already have 800 years worth of car repairs to do I'd have bought it on the spot.

The white (rusty) one has not been MOT'd for at least 11 years (no DVLA computer accessible record but this only goes back to 2005).  It was probably SORNed until August 2015 when DVLA shows tax to be due.

The blue one was MOT'd until September 2015 and is currently on SORN.

Nice cars.  My boss had a newish one in the 1980s but traded it in for an older Audi 100 which he said was much nicer.