Ford Sierra-Another years MOT.

Stevebrookman

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd better get on with it. Passenger side done. Funny rust on transmission tunnel-thought a hole would appear-but its double skinned and the outer skin has gone. Drivers side about third of the passenger side to weld.

Sierra floor.JPG

Sierra floor 2.JPG

• Stevebrookman changed the title to Ford Sierra-New MOT!

After my mammoth (to me) welding session on the Sierra in July/August-had to weld drivers side floor and inner sill and passenger floor-it's now passed its MOT. Should have put it in in August-but didn't bother. Needed a car after the BMW fiasco so put it in-failed on suspension arms and broken spring-changed those and now passed.

Need to fit new rear arches next.

Must praise Parts in Motion who delivered the parts in a day-all for a total of £66.

Sierra repairs 3.JPG

Sierra repairs 2.JPG

sierra repairs 1.JPG

• 1 year later...

Sierra has been fine over the last few years until this week.  Top gear is failing to engage on the auto box.

Some suggest a wiring problem, speed sensor or vacuum leak.  Ive checked the wiring-a bit iffy but difficult to change. Have a new speed sensor so will try changing this first.

• Stevebrookman changed the title to Ford Sierra-Auto gearbox problem!
2 hours ago, Bren said:

Speed sensor wenr on our granada.

Trip computer went on the fritz and no fourth gear. Back in the day I had to get one from Ford stealer.

Thanks Bren

No trip computer- but will have a go changing the speed sensor.

From memory the Ford autobox of this era had brake bands that required periodical torquing up. Although I was advised to 'do not touch' on my Granada since it was functioning OK. 

I think the problem is that there is a Ford torque spec based on a nice clean thread and gearbox which doesn't translate well after 20 years of rust and crud accumulates. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Took the speed sensor out and it would only turn with a bit of resistance one way-other way was totally free. Took it apart and theres a 2mm square serrated shaft that joins the splined end to the gubbins inside.  Pulled it out and pushed it back in a bit harder. Put it back in and it now works. Thought I'd get another but they are as rare as rocking horse poo. If it breaks again I'll put a bit of epoxy on the end.

speed sensor.JPG

• Stevebrookman changed the title to Ford Sierra-Another years MOT.
51 minutes ago, Stevebrookman said:

Another MOT for the Sierra-needed a bit of welding on the rear seat belt mounts and a CV boot-cost £270. Couldn't be bothered trying to weld upside down in the cold.

DSC_0649.JPG

You've earned the right to pay someone else for the welding. In the spring you can get in there and check the rustproofing and amend as necessary. 

Plus £270 is quite good these days for that amount of work. I bet most people won't bother getting the welder out for less than £200.

• Like 3