eBay car seller asking for a deposit - is this normal?

nick

I bought a car from eBay and it said I had to pay a deposit within an hour of winning the auction. The reason I have been given after questioning it was so I do not waste his time not turning up, despite me offering to pay in cash and pick-up the car within one week. Let's bear in mind it was an auction too; a legally-binding contract.

Going back in time slightly; the e-mail I got from eBay gave me the seller's name and address as usual. The address was not a full one, just a PostCode and area. The bloke who then got in touch was not that person at all anyway and said he shares an eBay account with the other person who is a business contact, not in eBay but in his day job so a mate basically. He does however appear to be a genuine seller with another account selling cars too using his own first name at least.

I refused to pay the deposit due to my security concerns (no PayPal protection for car deposits) but have been accused of "disrespecting" him so he has cancelled the whole transaction. At one point, I even offered him half the deposit (less risk) but he was adamant that it needed to be the full amount stated on the auction.

We actually had a very lengthly and fascinating conversation with him trying to educate me on how life works and me trying to explain why his business methods are not ideal. The whole thing is bizarre because I actually enjoyed talking to the bloke but by this point, he had decided that I was "going to give him grief" simply because I questioned something no other seller has ever asked me for.

I just wondered; what do other people think of this (if you've not fallen asleep reading the above)? I am happy to be told I am in the wrong. The whole thing is annoying me because I really wanted the car!

Quoteepoos  "I bought a car from eBay and it said I had to pay a deposit within an hour of winning the auction"

This means you "bought" a car and agreed to pay a deposit within an hour of winning.

If you do not agree to the stated terms why did you bid and waste his/her/your time by giving him/her grief ?

Quoteepoos  "I bought a car from eBay and it said I had to pay a deposit within an hour of winning the auction"

This means you "bought" a car and agreed to pay a deposit within an hour of winning.

If you do not agree to the stated terms why did you bid and waste his/her/your time by giving him/her grief ?

For the record; conditions written in in the description are worth nothing but that is not the issue. I agreed to pay the seller a deposit, not some other bloke via an e-mail address linked to a company I have never heard of.

To answer the question in the thread title, yes, perfectly normal.

Thank you. I take it you've been there and never had a problem! It's just new to me and I think it's bizarre that the bloke will happily give up his time to meet up about simply looking at a car but requires a deposit before I can set a date to pick up something I have committed to.

For the record; conditions written in in the description are worth nothing

Are you sure about that?  If an eBay auction constitutes a legally binding contract, then I would have thought that the auction listing (all of it) forms part of the terms of the contract.  It's been a very long time since I did any contract law though, so this could well be bollocks.

I bought a car from eBay and it said I had to pay a deposit within an hour of winning the auction. The reason I have been given after questioning it was so I do not waste his time not turning up, despite me offering to pay in cash and pick-up the car within one week. Let's bear in mind it was an auction too; a legally-binding contract.

Right, the auction is a legally binding contract, you win, you pay monies, this being a deposit. You cannot change the terms because you can pick up and pay full cash within one week.

Going back in time slightly; the e-mail I got from eBay gave me the seller's name and address as usual. The bloke who then got in touch was not that person at all and said he shares an eBay account with the other person who is a business contact. He does however appear to be a genuine seller with another account selling cars too using his own first name at least.

So, the account is a business account then? It's not unknown for people to share accounts for business purposes, this is actually quite normal. You pay the money to whatever account the seller chooses, be it a business/private account under someone else's name. It'll be then up to the seller to collect his deposit.

Were there any negatives in the feedback for the car selling? How many cars were sold through this chap? Did you get to speak to him or atnleast ask to speak to him over the phone?

I refused to pay the deposit due to my security concerns (no PayPal protection for car deposits) but have been accused of "disrespecting" him so he has cancelled the whole transaction. At one point, I even offered him half the deposit (less risk) but he was adamant that it needed to be the full amount stated on the auction.

How much was the deposit? I doubt if it had been thousands. If you are so concerned for the security of your money then maybe you shouldn't be buying cars off eBay. Simply rock up to a dealer and pay your money there.

As said in the first paragraph, the seller requested that you send a deposit, you changed your mind because you were concerned about your money not being refunded. This then would have obviously frustrated the seller because you tried to change the terms of the agreement over a small concern.

We actually had a very lengthly and fascinating conversation with him trying to educate me on how life works and me trying to explain why his business methods are not ideal. The whole thing is bizarre because I actually enjoyed talking to the bloke but by this point, he had decided that I was "going to give him grief" simply because I questioned something no other seller has ever asked me for.

I just wondered; what do other people think of this (if you've not fallen asleep reading the above)? I am happy to be told I am in the wrong. The whole thing is annoying me because I really wanted the car!

Basically, a seller expects at the very least for bidders to read thier terms, if thier terms cannot be met because of concerns or whatever then potential bideers should not bid. You probably never asked for a deposit, but most other sellers of cars, particularly those who do it for a living have most probably had thier time wasted in the past hence why they may be frustrated as this seller sounds.

Are you sure about that?  If an eBay auction constitutes a legally binding contract, then I would have thought that the auction listing (all of it) forms part of the terms of the contract.  It's been a very long time since I did any contract law though, so this could well be bollocks.

I'm pretty sure eBay's own terms and conditions would overrule anything written by a member. I definitely know that sending any money outside of eBay via PayPal has not recommended because there is no protection whatsoever if the seller turns out to be a scammer. Somebody must understand my point about that.

To answer the question in the thread title, yes, perfectly normal.

True; with all the tyre-kickers, I cannot blame people for doing it and genuinely wanted to know what was normal. I think if it was me, I'd say collection within a week or deposit after that. Then buyers would have the choice to pick up the car without risking cash but that's just me!

He's taken the thing way to personally now though when all I did was question why I was paying money to some random address with no apparent link to him. The bloke shot himself in the foot because a bit of Google searching revealed they have both worked for the same company at some point. He spent too much time trying to tell me how I should speak to people and how business is done where he comes from. Oh well, a lesson for both us hopefully.

I'm pretty sure eBay's own terms and conditions would overrule anything written by a member. I definitely know that sending any money outside of eBay via PayPal has not recommended because there is no protection whatsoever if the seller turns out to be a scammer. Somebody must understand my point about that.

Yes, I do understand your point, but if a listing states "deposit required within an hour of the auction finishing" and you don't feel comfortable sending a deposit, why bid on it only to get into a barney with the seller?

Right, the auction is a legally binding contract, you win, you pay monies, this being a deposit. You cannot change the terms because you can pick up and pay full cash within one week.

So, the account is a business account then? It's not unknown for people to share accounts for business purposes, this is actually quite normal.

Were there any negatives in the feedback for the car selling? How many cars were sold through this chap?

How much was the deposit? I doubt if it had been thousands. If you are so concerned for the security of your money then maybe you shouldn't be buying cars off eBay. Simply rock up to a dealer and pay your money there.

As said in the first paragraph, the seller requested that you send a deposit, you changed your mind because you were concerned about your money not being refunded. This then would have obviously frustrated the seller because you tried to change the terms of the agreement over a small concern.

Basically, a seller expects at the very least for bidders to read thier terms, if thier terms cannot be met because of concerns or whatever then potential bideers should not bid. You probably never asked for a deposit, but most other sellers of cars, particularly those who do it for a living have most probably had thier time wasted in the past hence why they may be frustrated as this seller sounds.

No it is not a business account.

As I said the contract was to pay the seller, NOT a random bloke who has no apparent link with the account.

Your comment about visiting a dealer is childish and unnecessary. I have bought cars from eBay before and never had this problem.

This man is the first person I have bought a car from on eBay who DOES NOT do it for a living.

Why exactly does it matter how much the deposit was? £10 / £100 / £1000; I'd prefer not to send that to a random person I do not have a full address for thanks.

Why are these forums always full of people who don't read the facts before laying in eh?

if you pay the deposit through paypal and add in the add note to seller box that this is the deposit as requested.it should be covered by the paypal guarantee,if the feedbacks shite id worry and be reluctant,but if its good I would like to think its ok,as I value my feedback,and if I was taking a deposit it means a sale,i wouldn't risk affecting my feedback by being dodgy.

Yes, I do understand your point, but if a listing states "deposit required within an hour of the auction finishing" and you don't feel comfortable sending a deposit, why bid on it only to get into a barney with the seller?

I am asking about paying a deposit being normal but that has only become an issue with the other facts thrown in. I have offered sellers a deposit before now. I don't think I've been clear about the whole thing so please accept my apologies for that  :-D

if you pay the deposit through paypal and add in the add note to seller box that this is the deposit as requested.it should be covered by the paypal guarantee,if the feedbacks shite id worry and be reluctant,but if its good I would like to think its ok,as I value my feedback,and if I was taking a deposit it means a sale,i wouldn't risk affecting my feedback by being dodgy.

I was going to do that but read it isn't protected for certain things; car sales / deposits being one of them. I'd like to be wrong though and that would fix the whole problem! I agree with your point about the feedback.

No it is not a business account.

As I said the contract was to pay the seller, NOT a random bloke who has no apparent link with the account.

Your comment about visiting a dealer is childish and unnecessary. I have bought cars from eBay before and never had this problem.

This man is the first person I have bought a car from on eBay who DOES NOT do it for a living.

Why exactly does it matter how much the deposit was? £10 / £100 / £1000; I'd prefer not to send that to a random person I do not have a full address for thanks.

Why are these forums always full of people who don't read the facts before laying in eh?

Lol, calm yourself down man. What is it you said?

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong

Obviously not.

Childish? Lol, your comments above prove yourself that fella.

I simply put forward a few suggestions and asked a few questions. Hardly laying in is it?

Waste of time.

I was going to do that but read it isn't protected for certain things; car sales / deposits being one of them. I'd like to be wrong though and that would fix the whole problem! I agree with your point about the feedback.

another way to do it is if he has cancelled the transaction relisted and you want the car,assuming theres a phone number on the add,ring him off the wifes phone,dont let on who it is,arrange a viewing before the listing ends,take your cash with you and if you still want it make an offer while your there,or bid,if its a dog take it as a lucky escape and be glad you didn't pay the deposit.and as its a different person from the sellers details,why?

Lol, calm yourself down man. What is it you said?

Obviously not.

Childish? Lol, your comments above prove yourself that fella.

I simply put forward a few suggestions and asked a few questions. Hardly laying in is it?

Waste of time.

It just wasn't very constructive to tell me to go and buy cars at a showroom was it mate. This Autoshite for **** sake, I'm clearly not the type to be shopping at the local car supermarket. Anyway, I can see the amount of quoting you did so clearly some effort went in and if you meant to help, thanks.

another way to do it is if he has cancelled the transaction relisted and you want the car,assuming theres a phone number on the add,ring him off the wifes phone,dont let on who it is,arrange a viewing before the listing ends,take your cash with you and if you still want it make an offer while your there,or bid,if its a dog take it as a lucky escape and be glad you didn't pay the deposit.and as its a different person from the sellers details,why?

I was thinking that; get a mate to show interest! As you say though, maybe a lucky escape. I'm still getting over the loss of a bargain  :-D

It's true that Paypal's money back guarantee doesn't cover vehicle-related transactions.  The way around that is to pay with a credit card, then you can do a chargeback if things go Pete Tong.

Thank you.

It just wasn't very constructive to tell me to go and buy cars at a showroom was it mate. This Autoshite for **** sake, I'm clearly not the type to be shopping at the local car supermarket. Anyway, I can see the amount of quoting you did so clearly some effort went in and if you meant to help, thanks.

Thanks for that! But please chill chap, no one is having a go, least of all me. I've been on Autoshite for a long while, check my joining date and posts.

When I said rock up to a dealer, I didn't mean a car supermarket, I meant some Arthur Daley type or summat with a few old cars laying around where you can check the car over yourself and know you ain't getting your fingers burnt.

Anyway Matty879's suggestion sounds like a goer.

do you mind sharing what it was?perhaps it was a bargain that went to cheap,which is why he wormed out and said you disrespected him,he was obviously not happy with the final price.

It went for half of what he was asking elsewhere on another site. He mentioned several times that I shouldn't question anything because it was a bargain so you could be right.

Just to add to the mix, an ebay buyer still has the right to reject a car/item, therefore the entire transaction, if the car/item is not as described. 

I walked away from an Astra van a few years ago due to that. The seller was not happy and got a bit gobby, luckily I had my mate with me. I left neutral feedback and got all kinds of abuse 'cos of it. Told him to fuck off at the end.

I don't trust the deposit within x hours things on eBay. I can understand the problem of buyers messing around or not turning up but there are plenty of misdecribed piles on shit on there too.

That said I wouldn't bid on a car that the owner asked for a deposit on then kick off about the deposit that was stated in the listing.

My advice would be avoid any listing which applies conditions such as non-refundable deposits or CAR MUST BE COLLECTED WITHIN 10 MINUTES OF AUCTION CLOSING etc. These are, in my experience, usually signs of mentalism or dishonesty (this bloke sounds like a bit of both) on the part of the seller. Yes, I might want the car they're selling, but life's too short to deal with these people. Another one will turn up.

Better luck next time!

I've asked for instant deposits before on eBay because if previous timewasters.

All I did was waste my own time in the end because it deters a lot of bidders and also encourages the cranks to come out of the woodwork and deliberately win the auctions then disappear.

From what you've said in your op I'd have run a mile, the whole process (his demands) just sound increasingly bizarre and, to be frank, suspicious.