Talk to me about Bedford cf's....UPDATED with moar pics!

barmatt

Oil leaks are a standard feature of the slant 4.

As is a lumpy idle,they can be a real bugger to get to run smoothly.

They are bomb proof though,bottom end is really strong as they were also planning a diesel based on the same block.

It runs really quite smoothly, the carburettor is quite new, I found a receipt for it from 2013. This seems to be the year that the owner spent a load of money on it putting in a new overdrive, clutch, recon gearbox, skimmed flywheel, carburetor, electronic ignition.

The overdrive is a great addition, and will help a lot with the MPG on longer journeys.

On the run home, 180miles, I did go for it a bit once I'd got used to it. If I wasn't in a rush to get home and just cruise along at holiday pace I think it will get around 25mpg which I can live with.

The overdrive is a great addition, and will help a lot with the MPG on longer journeys.

Definitely. I really wish my Transit had overdrive or 5 speeds. It's really noisy at higher speeds on the motorway and of course the mpg is absolutely shit too.

Nice van btw, it looks in great shape. Just wants a bit of cleaning up and it's ready to use.

Hopefully I'll be using mine this year for the first time since rebuilding it. Can't wait!

• 1 month later...

I remember a guy I knew bought a coach built CF camper, from memory it was a 78.

He was showing me around it, as he did with most of his old motors wether I was interested or not.

Explaining all about his plans to go touring round Scotland. Then he started it up.

Jeezuz I have never heard a racket like it!

Lumpy idle, rattling valve gear and a sound like a blacksmith belting horseshoes on an anvil which I assumed to be the bottom end.

The oil light stayed on the whole time without so much as a flicker.

The old fella was a mechanic and didn't seem the slightest bit concerned.

"Oh that will pick up in a minute or two" he said and casually wandered off to his workshop.

When we came back 5 minutes later it was purring nicely and he did indeed tour Scotland in the thing.