Exceeding BXpectations - Now With Added Renault 4

Cleon-Fonte

Have you an 8mm drill bit, or know someone who has? Dead easy to make a reasonable tool as I've described in the current sphere removal thread. Just a length of M8 threaded bar, 2 nuts and washers to fit and a length of 25mm steel bar. Use a hammer to shock free when you've applied some load on the bar.

I have a crude home made one, but distance may be an issue...

Same I can't make the 28th!

Indeed, geography is a tiny snag. A pity the Stellar 1.6+1.9 won't be making its way up to the Peaks on Thursday.

Have you an 8mm drill bit, or someone who has? Dead easy to make a reasonable tool as I've described in the current sphere removal thread. Just a length of M8 threaded bar, 2 nuts and washers to fit and a length of 25mm steel bar. Use a hammer to shock free when you've applied some load on the bar.

I may resort to a home made effort. My only worry is that anything I bodge up won't withstand two seconds against spheres as stuck as these, but fortune favours the brave.

Just out of interest, can heat be applied to spheres to try and loosen them off a bit? It's probably a very bad idea, but a tempting one at the moment.

Never tried heat - obviously you will be increasing whatever pressure is in the spheres proportionally to the temperature rise. Wonder what they're rated to...?

All I can see happening if the pressure is to much is that the diaphragm will rupture, and the nitrogen will fizz away into the LHM. As an aside, that is something to watch out for if the sphere is tight on its threads all the way out - it's a warning that the rubber has failed and as the last thread disengages, move yourself out of direct line of the sphere, close your eyes/mouth and brace yourself for an oily green shower :-(

I did give the threads a few shocks but to no avail, the spheres have stubbornly stood still through all I've thrown at them. This led me down the dead end of thinking heat may be useful, but based on the advice above (and the visions I have of spheres behaving violently under pressure) I think that's not one to be tried out.

The moral of the story is to have a proper sphere removal tool on hand, especially having had to expend so much effort on the fronts I dread to think what the rears are going to be like.

The hammer I'm using resembles a Gardner 6LX engine block in sheer heft and will easily put a dent in the spheres with little effort, so I'm fine on that score.

I've bought the ingredients for a homemade sphere removal tool as described by forddeliveryboy, so I'll have a go at putting it together and see if that does the trick. If not the French car forum/professional garage may beckon (although definitely not the garage I used last time).

As relayed in the Glossop meetup thread, I managed to hasten the demise of my duff fuel filter housing using the immense power of my right foot. With the BX now incapacitated a callout to the RAC was necessary to return it the third of a mile up the road to the Cleon-Fonte residence, the RAC man adament that my fuel pump solenoid was at fault (I kept quiet about the night's events).

This necessitated a visit to the emporium that is Pugbitz in Denton to source a replacement, and having managed to disassemble and reassemble it and fix it in place I expected to prime it up and to hear the XUD fire into life. Far from it, it was no better than when it had no fuel supply at all. And that is how it stayed all Bank Holiday weekend, no matter what I tried.

Having clearly reached the limits of both my ability and patience, I was half prepared to give up and keep the BX as nothing more than a street ornament. Luckily Bub2006 of this parish graciously stepped in to help and this evening the BX had another (rather faster) hydropneumatic Citroen for company.

post-20075-0-38938700-1462315045.thumb.jpg.da38440109099ffde9dc4750ecc29822.jpg

So after much time spent playing with the fuel system, we've duduced that fuel is going to the injectors, the pump solenoid is fine, the filter housing is (eventually) priming and provided the outlet hose from the filter housing is dunked in a bottle of veg oil the engine will run. Left to its own devices, however, it's still a non-starter. So, does anyone have any ideas?

post-20075-0-35123800-1462315086.thumb.jpg.e236b3842e0597baca91bea59c043f5b.jpg

How to spot a Shiter in the wild: open bonnets, Peugeot XUDs and containers of veg oil on a 1960s housing estate usually indicative

Could be a pin hole (that`s all it takes) somewhere between the tank and the filter block - no leaking fuel, just obviously drawing in air.

Maybe the piece of flexible pipe leading to the filter block is perished and now has such a leakage after it was disturbed for the first time since 198x.

Also, there should be a 12mm bleed bolt on the housing, which must be released while pumping the prime button until fuel comes out.

What does the Haynes say regarding the correct bleed procedure?

Is that a new or used filter block you got?

Could be a pin hole (that`s all it takes) somewhere between the tank and the filter block - no leaking fuel, just obviously drawing in air.

Maybe the piece of flexible pipe leading to the filter block is perished and now has such a leakage after it was disturbed for the first time since 198x.

Also, there should be a 12mm bleed bolt on the housing, which must be released while pumping the prime button until fuel comes out.

What does the Haynes say regarding the correct bleed procedure?

Is that a new or used filter block you got?

Pretty much this I think - I'm trying to recall what filter set up you've got. If it's the silver cannister, then Junkman is on the money. It won't self prime if the housing is full of air. 

Indeed, it is the silver canister with plunger on top. The bleed screw's been undone the whole time Bub and I were priming it (and before that when I was working alone) and fuel does eventually come out, but given the moist fart sounds it gives off during priming I'm guessing it's dredging up air with the fuel. So, the hoses definitely need checking over.

The filter housing's secondhand as new ones seem pretty thin on the ground.

This was the first time it had run on veg, and given it's never idled so smoothly I'm tempted to bin my Lucas pump and associated injectors along with any other dodgy bits of fuel system I have to replace.

There are rebuild kits available for the filter housings but I'm not sure they're worth forking out as much as I paid for the housing itself. Especially as there's no guarantee that it's not something else at fault.

I'll buy a length of fuel hose first and see if that helps.