Chod North East. Spotting through time.

Jim Bell

Metro Centre:

.... long B4 it was..... my dad worked at Raine &co, steelworks - along the riverside beside the power station [see: The hearse, back lane, Get Carter] and the only road access was through the little iron bridge (still there) and over the yards railway lines...

The salesmen, all in cortinas or mebbies a victor, would hoon up the road - under the bridge - and 'yumpp it' over the lines. Epic sight, allegedly!!

The company rolled various profiles, from flat, out of Consett. They had a nice 'salvage' contract for the NCB. Old rail lines were delivered into the works, cut to length (various), heated and bent to a semi circle with the fishplate at the top. These went as supports for the main roadways underground.

H&S... err... nope. The rollers for forming the steel strips should have a Pin&LockRing in the coupling.... As the lads were always swapping the forming rollers they just hoiked a heavy wire through (not a safe ring) and a guy was doing something down at the motor/clutch end and the wire hooked into his gansie pullover... my dad said the place was closed for a 'full clean up' Gahhhhhh :-(

thems was the good old days......

TS

Metro Centre:

.... long B4 it was..... my dad worked at Raine &co, steelworks - along the riverside beside the power station [see: The hearse, back lane, Get Carter] and the only road access was through the little iron bridge (still there) and over the yards railway lines...

Page%2050%20015.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up just outside Blaydon and can remember those terraces off Scotswood Road being pulled down and the hideous modernist buildings that replaced them.

I moved to Hull when I was 18 so I'd love to see some old pics of the area.  I had forgotten about Sven Books  -  used to live just round the corner on Sculcoates Lane  (in a paper bag).

p275263990-2.jpg

click the pic for the full set!

Some great pictures there...

What are these little tykes playing on then??...I thought Talbot, but I aint sure as certain things, like those bonnet vents don't look right to me...

p96996445-3.jpg

p486938239-3.jpg

p347950687-3.jpg

And Japanese I guess, but what??

p178315155-3.jpg

No they don't! The pissing about and "improvements" the council did to the west end estates made them all more or less unliveable pretty quickly. We moved out in early '95 after enduring a full refit on the house without being moved out, and a serious rise in burglary during and afterwards because the pretty new doors and windows were shite.

Mind you, I don't think it was a proper riot. It looked more like a load of looting and some strategic arson from where I was standing.