Dealer bought my car but where's the profit in it.

Vince70

I advertised my 2000 Audi A3 yesterday online and sold it within an hour and had quite a few calls on it in that time..

And when it came to do the logbook the guy asked me to fill and sign the trade slip..

It was a nice car and this is the add I put up..

DESCRIPTION

For sale is my elderly fathers Audi A3 SE which drives fantastic and has had a recent cambelt change and full service..

It's done a very low 62000 miles and the seats etc have no bolster wear and are in a lovely suede material and being an SE it comes with quite a few toys such as Climate control and a decent sounding stereo.

The car doesn't use any oil or coolant and everything works as it should and I've been using it myself on the odd 170 mile commute to work.

Reason for sale is my father has now decided to go for an auto for ease of driving and being an Audi the doors are quite heavy to get in and out of being a 3 door model.

You won't find a cheaper A3 anywhere with this kind of mileage and the car comes with a full service history.

Tel.

I advertised it for £895 and let him have the car for £825 and it was an old shape A3 which was on an Xplate with 3/4 months mot.

The guy was Polish who bought it and an extremely nice fellow and he really did know his stuff about cars and knew exactly what to check but he literally drove it about 200 meters and gave me the money.

I know the car was a goodun but the wing had been previously repaired in the past but not to a standard I liked (but I'm a bit over the top).

I just wondered how a dealer would make a profit on a car once you've paid out for a good clean and whacked a warranty on it or does good old low mileage German stuff end up in Eastern Europe but being a right hooker I would of thought it wouldn't be that sort after abroad.

Probably be exported tbh. VAG stuff is really common - I've sold a fucked Skoda Octavia and a Seat Toledo to Eastern Europeans before for pennies because they are worth a few quid back home.

When I worked in the spares place the East Europeans always had Audis Pasatts or a Peugeot Four hundred six.

There were a few exceptions, but not many.

Those 4 rings are highly prized. I imagine that for decades an audi must have been as out of reach for them as a Ferrari would be to us.

Lots of driveway dealers around (a real trader wouldn't be operating at that level, there is no genuine retail profit) and they pretend to be bona fide trade and the car disappears into the ether.  Make sure DVLA are aware and you take any insurance off it and let him bimble on.

• Like 2

Lots of driveway dealers around (a real trader wouldn't be operating at that level, there is no genuine retail profit) and they pretend to be bona fide trade and the car disappears into the ether.  Make sure DVLA are aware and you take any insurance off it and let him bimble on.

As above.

I sold my (£700) Alfa Romeo to a lad who filled out the trade section on the v5. I googled the address and postcode and none of it even existed. He sent me a text the next day asking 'if I would not cancel my insurance straight away'.... hmmm, nice try lad, but I cancelled it the hour you'd driven it away.

Lots of wannabe Arfur Dailys around nowadays- once you've got your cash, cancel your insurance asap and notify the dvla too, you don't want any of that grief.

• Like 3

Not to over egg it, but it has become crucial now with ridiculous court cases, that as soon as you hand over a car, you take your insurance off it.  No more leaving it until you find something different and do a swap onto it, you and your insurance are a very highly prized asset to the chancers.

• Like 2

Cheers for the advice.. I've just checked the name of the garage and can't find it... I did try and cancel/freeze my insurance online but it seems my insurance provider doesn't let you do that so I sent them an email yesterday and I'm waiting for a reply..

I've bid on another car today on eBay but it seems to be attracting a lot of interest so I think I will be pipped at the post when it comes to bidding..

• Like 1

Does mean that knowing the cancellation charge is good upfront.  I had to cancel one recently and they wanted a £75 cancellation charge on a £140 policy - meant I had to pay them to cancel it.  igo4 insurance, do not use them.  

Does mean that knowing the cancellation charge is good upfront.  I had to cancel one recently and they wanted a £75 cancellation charge on a £140 policy - meant I had to pay them to cancel it.  igo4 insurance, do not use them.  

I had the same thing with Performance Direct - would have been cheaper to let the policy run out. Tossers.

Sometimes they'll put a hold on the insurance, I did that with the F to save cancelling it just in case my next car was classic. It wasn't, so I really must take it off hold before they auto-renew!

I sold my Honda cbr600 on eBay a few years ago and the guy that won it was from Poland.

Ended on a Thursday with the ad stating full mot would be done for winning bidder before collection.

Had it booked in for the Saturday morning and let the guy know.

He said don't bother as polish bikes don't need mot.

Turns out he was a dealer from over there and comes over in a big van to collect his 1/2 dozen or so eBay purchases.

He told me he buys bikes over here and makes about twice the money over there.

Second for it going back to Poland. There must be a shortage of cars there or something.

You can't register RHD cars in Poland apparently, so they'd have to convert it to LHD.  Possible (as the Polish are very resourceful when it comes to vehicle repairs and modifications) but I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it financially.

The price of used cars in Poland is higher than over here but not massively so nowadays and an awful lot are imported from Germany.

• Like 1