a framing euro tunnel

the judge

Much asked question,but i can't find relevant thread. If i go to France and buy a motor,what is the cost with a car in tow? Double? Not too worried legalwise,will take a chance. Sorry for repeated quest

ion y'all

Book your ticket as a car plus trailer corresponding to the size of the towed car.

N.B. - never done it by tunnel but the ferry people didnt bat an eyelid.

Just got back and the ferry was cheapest at £60 that was for pickup and up to 6 metre trailer. It would have been cheeper again but the flexi ticket allows you a four hour spread in case your late or even early.

I do this often.

I usually pay £30 per car, each way, and the trailer is then the same prices as the towcar, so £30. Early hours, say return ( which allows an overnight if needed)

The online system can't cope with varying trips, so you need to do it by phone ( no added charge)

Only thing I would add is that last trip the children loading the train decided that my load wasn't 'safe' so sent me back to the Office - telling me I had to use the ferry.

I kicked off ( natch) and was swiftly assured by the Duty Manager that I was allowed, and sent back, boarding normally. They did take pics though, so presume they'd never noticed me before!

For delaying me 2 trains they have issued an off peak return freebie.

• Like 2

Blimey how to you get a chinnel ticket for £30? I expect it to cost like £150 minimum for a return trip.

I'm going over in mid-June and am tempted to take the A with me actually

• Like 1

Getting cheap tunnel tickets seems to be some kind of mystical black art that I have never mastered. I always find the ferry to be cheaper.

Apparently the thing to do is to buy one of their cheap day-return tickets and only use one half of it. Technically against the rules, allowing them to pull full price off your bank card but apparently they never do. Knowing my luck, I would be the one they used to make an example of and end up paying like £300.

Have I got this right Mr bickle? £30 to go out with one car and £30 to come back then another £30 for the towed car back so £90 total or am I reading that wrong.

The ferry at the weekend was £20 outward and £40 flexi return with 6 Metre trailer both ways, would have been £40 return without the flexi

Spot on, £90 in total.

I tend to book about 4-5 days prior, and pick the shit spots. They offer a range, I go for the 4 am type booking, usually mid week. You'll find £30 ish there, and you can turn up 2 hrs late ( or early) without issue. Come back early weekend, no issue

I've just this second gone on to their site. Day trips ( 47 hrs) from £23 each way. I looked for next Tues- Thurs, plenty of £30 offers, both ways. Out of hours£23....

It's cheap and quick. Luvverly

Is a day return still 48 hrs on the tunnel?

Years ago we drove to Amsterdam, did some site seeing, stayed the night, did more site seeing and got back within the 48 hrs.

The problem with taking a day trip but not coming back is that you need another way back.

I believe that to pull the same stunt in reverse (i.e. buy a day trip on the French side) you would need to fit foreign plates, which is probably illegal.

To me it shows that the whole thing is BS.  They should be forced to sell reasonably priced single direction tickets so that you can just do what you like.  It is after all a major transport link between two neighbouring European countries.

If you try turning up at 3 in the morning unbooked they want absolutely stupid money even if its half empty. The bloke at the box was embarrassed by the price, but he did say I could go free if I was prepared to hang under a lorry chassis. I got the ferry and Eurotunnel are cunts.

• Like 2

Yup.

So play them at their own game.

The ferries want to know the size/ height of your trailer, and charge accordingly. Monstrous markups usually, for the perceived hassle.

Tunnel just says 'Trailer' , therefore double car payment ( often a lot less than Ferries). They don't care what it is/ what size it is.

So, pre book a cheap crossing, turn up at a time to suit, watch the eyes bulge at the ' trailer' and load you with the Winnebagos.

Even when you phone book ( can't do different trips by t'internet) they don't ask. Ever. Not bothered.

Cheap n quick.

• 2 weeks later...

I was supposed to be in France today having booked the tunnel, but had to rebook due to my grandmother's funeral on Wednesday. That was originally £109 for a five day crossing on the tunnel. I've now changed it to June 12 for an additional £18.

It's about £20 more than a ferry but I get sea sick and don't enjoy the crossing much. I'm going in the X1/9 too and like to stick with it to make sure it's safe :-)

For those crossing sur Le continent the aire de bays de sommes nr abbevilles is extremely pleasant for a breakfast stop, being in a bird wildlife sanctuary.

Ps. Several years ago- ooh, must be 1999 or so, for the inaugural France exhibition at Olympia I was part of the 2cv euro tunnel display team! We had to sit through a safety video, sign a waiver, then a dozen of us ( out of about200) got to park on a train for a photo shoot. No reversing allowed to back down to the ramp, we had to go the long way round, so I got to 4th gear and about 30mph inside a train! I never saw the final photos and don't even know if they were used, but I still have my eurotunnel signed safety certificate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you try turning up at 3 in the morning unbooked they want absolutely stupid money even if its half empty. The bloke at the box was embarrassed by the price, but he did say I could go free if I was prepared to hang under a lorry chassis. I got the ferry and Eurotunnel are cunts.

Is that why you are Cros?

Yes, I remember driving away laughing at an on-spec chunnel price. Went and caught a ferry instead, and had a very nice meal (that was our 660-mile day in a 2CV).