Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Rain Stops play for the Carlton Estate.

Six-cylinder

How did that 390 FE gain two extra cubic inches?

You are right, just a bit of brain fade as the car started life as a 352 cu but was 390 cu by the time Steve bought it in 2011.

Also - I had a similar starting issue (although intermittently) on my e36 328i Sport and 323i SE and it was the ignition switch on both! I just learnt to live with it but might be a good place to look if its not starting at all. 

Also - I had a similar starting issue (although intermittently) on my e36 328i Sport and 323i SE and it was the ignition switch on both! I just learnt to live with it but might be a good place to look if its not starting at all.

I called the Auto Electrician in the end and he found it in minutes, it was the connections on the starter motor.

I used the 328i today and cars just don't reward you for saving them, now it runs cold!

I had to go out and do a few errands this morning so I took the opportunity to have the 328i scrubbed and washed ready for a BMW car club visit to Oxford Mini factory tomorrow. It has been off the road for two years after the head gasket failed and quite a lot of rust bubbles have come though while it has been standing. Inside the back seat has some discoloured spots and there seems to be several bits of plastic broken that I don't remember originally. It seems very slow to heat up, I suspect the thermostat and have ordered one. Strangely the heater is stuck on hot and I suspect the heater value but luckily I have a spare one of those. Anyway it is enjoyable to drive now and I am looking forward to using it.

post-4787-0-69743600-1457614639_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-33681500-1457614669_thumb.jpg

Is it customary to photograph all your cars at the Spice Hut? Have you ever eaten there? I'm not a huge fan of Indian food but I've been several times and I'd highly recommend it.

Is it customary to photograph all your cars at the Spice Hut? Have you ever eaten there? I'm not a huge fan of Indian food but I've been several times and I'd highly recommend it.

I do like Indian food very much but tend to use the Red Chille in Buckingham town as I have several friends who live there. I would love to give Spice Hut a go but at the moment I am trying to loose a bit of weight so that will have to stay on hold.

The reason I use this Spice Hut as a photo location is the car wash is on the same site, there are usually no other cars so I don't have to drive on dirty roads before I take a few photos.

Hey Six Cylinder it's time to look after your Two Cylinder. One F pump arrived,
When convenient to coast by 
Pip Pip

I am on a Mini Factory tour tomorrow and with the BMW club and at a Meguires BMW club visit Saturday but should be around on Sunday, just give me a call to make sure.

My MGB GT has a new MOT, but I did have to have some welding done on it this time.

When I collected it today I was surprised to find it parked next to a Morris Oxford.

post-4787-0-74536000-1457723011_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have collected my 156 Sportwagon today, gear change sorted, antiroll bar links, front suspension arms, front fog light and the MOT which was done back in December. I am told ideally it could do with the front antiroll bar bushes replaced but I have not heard any noises. It is great to drive it again.

I would have had it washed but there were queues at the car wash and I did not have time to wait, so a quick fresh photo in a farm gateway today!

post-4787-0-33093500-1457979279_thumb.jpg

Great to see the ex BV 156 back on the road! Has work started on mrs cyl's guilietta yet?

Not yet as the Citroen GS is still garage hogging, but I am not allowed to get any other car done before the Alfa!

Photo was taken just now.

post-4787-0-85810200-1457982654_thumb.jpg

I just got the "I see it's back" without hate or joy.

Oh and I did get asked if the gearchange is all right, which I hope means she is planning to use it.

I took a little time off work this afternoon to swap and rear seats in my E36 BMW 328i Coupe, this is a job I have been planning to for over two years. The blown head gasket caused this delay but with the car running well I want to tidy it up a bit.

It was harder work than I thought but I am there now.

The photo is old spit seats out, new good seats in.

post-4787-0-90382700-1458080273_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-66448200-1458080284_thumb.jpg

It was harder work than I thought but I am there now.

Did you have fun releasing the clips for the seat backs? Remember the joy on one of my E36's which was bone dry to make life difficult. 

Did you have fun releasing the clips for the seat backs? Remember the joy on one of my E36's which was bone dry to make life difficult.

The Google sourced description I found did not mention them but then I found a youtube video that made it clear how to remove the seats.

My real problem was the belts on the new seats would not pull out, so more internet told me that they only release when upright and clipped into the car, so I held them upright and put a screwdriver though the catch to simulate the catch bar but they still would not pull out. Next I took the belts out of the seat and pulled the covers off to try and see why they were not working. I gave up, but the next day I worked it out the screwdriver was not large enough to push back the interlock and a jiggle with the screwdriver and all was well.

The seats are dirty but the base is also badly slit along the seams in one corner so I will keep the leather for repairs and ditch the rest.

^^^^ That's what I like to see: Proper nice reflective plates with plastic semi-peak rivet-on digits, made by Hills.

I have owned the car for over 11 years and it is low mileage 75k, previously it was owned by a man who gave up driving and the car was garaged for many years unused.

Do you think the plates are the orginal dealer fitted ones?

I'm still recovering from inhaling several Passats worth of NoX from that thing!

Whilst raping the leathers from the E36 Cab, it was running on light choke for 10-20 mins and drifting into the BMW. Felt pretty odd driving home.  :-D