Jago Samuri rolling restoration

Tonka

Nearly 8 weeks ago this arrived at our house on a recovery truck, it had been stood since September 2009, was a non runner with well dodgy wiring, no brakes and plenty of moss growing on it....

101_0715.jpg

101_0716.jpg

The wiring looked like this...

101_0718.jpg

Within a week I had it running something like and then I made the mistake of telling my fellow Jago Club members whilst at Stoneleigh Kit Car Show what the guy who delivered it (who is also a JOC Club member) said when unloading it after I said I wanted it back on the road in a month to go to the Newark Kit Car show on June 15th..... "good luck with that, you haven't a hope in hell"

There then followed a month of frantic activity, firstly we got the wiring sorted, the whole loom has been stripped back, checked, replaced as required and provision made for future accessories.

101_0830.jpg

It was a real team effort with people coming from over 140 miles away for 4 weekends of non stop action.....

eddiebrakes.jpg

chrisngary.jpg

andyseats.jpg

We have replaced most of the suspension bushes, rack mounts, rack gaiters, brake pipes and flexis, rebuilt the calipers, fitted new wheel cylinders, converted it back to the Mk2 handbrake set-up, got the instruments all working, fitted new seats and seat belts.

I've replaced all the lights, fitting "frenched in" front indicators and crystal style lamps in old round Cibie units, new transmission oil cooler and electric fan, air horns, repaired the front wings and front panel which had accident damage, fitted new seals to the doors and targa panels...I could go on but I won't because last Monday it was MOT'd the trip revealing a "goosed" back axle but another arrived at 1am from Norfolk and was fitted the following morning with help from the delivery man!

This was it the night before the MOT looking like a happy car again...

1339273703522.jpg

Bawtry Road, Doncaster, Friday lunchtime on the way..."it won't go above 50" she says, a quick look when we got there revealed only 3 plug leads still fitted to the dizzy cap, when we fitted the Mk2 Fezzy electronic distributor the standard cap fouled on the brake servo so we fitted a side entry cap off a Fiat Strada but that means it's near on impossible to get the leads on properly.....!

bawtryroad.jpg

And this is it at Newark........ so much for it can't be done!

convoy.jpg

brumnewark.jpg

We still need to set the carb up right as it doesn't take much choke to start and is a bit thirsty and the 2 piece prop despite being fitted with a new donut and bearing last Wednesday night still judders as you pull away so I am going to have to source a single piece prop or get one made up to suit.

Once these problems are sorted I've go to cut down the new rear seats to fit properly, sound deaden and carpet the inside and make it suitable for daily use then begins the mammoth task of sorting out dozens of gelcoat cracks before we can give it a much brighter coat of paint and fit the refurbished 8 x 15's back on.

Just a couple more showing the new seats and the under bonnet as it is now

101_0877.jpg

101_0869.jpg

Still a long way to go but nothing some paint and TLC can't sort.

Somehow it reminds me of ride-on mowers

I keep thinking dung beetle......but daren't mention it in front of the wife.....I think they look best with all the roof bits off.

garyssammi.jpg

Excellent work! Somehow it reminds me of ride-on mowers... ?

My exact thoughts! Certainly a handsome* beast! Excelsior work.

That would be perfect for the autoshite version of Baywatch.... the opening credits would have that chugging up the beach to the scene of the incident in slowmo then 4 fat blokes with ill-fitting swimming trunks would speed-waddle to the water, with a gory slowmo. The basic plot would revolve around these aforementioned blokes attempting to save people but finding the water too cold and consequently they consistently and leave the poor bastard to drown and going home for a cuppa.

I remember thinking these looked pretty smart in ‘Kit Car’ back in 1984 or whatever it was. I reckon you need to reinstate the square lights mind you! The red ones look a bit ‘kit car’!

‘AS Baywatch’ sounds good, i’m imagining a soft rock ‘soundtrack’ provided by Ken Dodd and a Whitley Bay location with a scaffolding-clad Spanish City in the background.