Tyre question

25v6turbo

My dad had to get a new tyre fitted to his V6 Laguna yesterday.

Its a 195/65/15 91v,but they have fitted a 91H is that o.k?

I told him to take it back and get a 91V fitted as its different to all the others and the car is a V rating from new.

If the car is capable of whatever speed rating 'V' is then it should be fitted with them. To be honest it's not going to make a difference but I'd take it back on the basis you have the 'wrong' tyre fitted.

Take it back pronto, it may be a case that your car is uninsured..... yes, honestly. Mk1 Focus had H rated 14s, but V rated 15s on... I made the mistake of fitting H rated Firestone 15s (2nd hand, freebies) to mine, and a guy (Insurance agent thingy) I knew back then told me that he had successfully managed to wheedle out of a claim (boy racer) where he had hit roadside furniture due (He'd been farting around, burnouts etc, the day before... and a tyre "failed" on a dry road) and even with an appeal, the court upheld it, due to the speed rating of the tyres.... and the driver was out of pocket for the lamp post. I ended up buying V rated to suit... just in case. Even now, I run V and W on my Mk2 Focus... (H standard) I reckon I have H on the Sierra, where T was standard, and 10 ply thornproof Goodyear military radials on the Diesel 109. (6 ply crossplies standard)

I'd be tempted to go back and get them to change it as it doesn't match the others.

I have had a similar argument with tyre places about speed rating in the past though:

I just asked for the cheapest tyres, don't care about speed rating, as I'm not going to be doing 130mph+.

They got arsey with me and said they have to be the correct ones for the car or insurance may grumble if a claim is made. Which may be a valid point if ones odd ... but not if the car is 30yrs old incapable of doing more than 90mph and I'm buying a set of 4.

Actually I'm bloody sure I had a car fail the MOT once for having one tyre with a too low speed rating. Albert (and others) will hopefully be able to confirm if it is an MOT fail.

Fuck me i hope it doesn,t fail the MOT which its booked for next sat!

I also had a fear about the insurance side of things as its capible of over 130MPH,though i would never do this,but its the fact can do over the speed rating,then it blows up etc,then it all goes very wrong!!!

Will be telling him to take it back on Monday...