Edd's Talbot Samba Thread

SambaS

You do realise this was inevitable from the moment you said

car made it from North Yorkshire to London no problems =)

, don't you?  ;-)

Luckily that looks fairly mendable/replaceable for a man of your talent and resources.

• Like 2

Peugeot UK don't have the part, Jürgen can get me it in Germany, but I found a new one just down the road near Ferrybridge from a Peugeot Parts guy. £21.80 Win.

Saxo ones wont fit as was suggested elsewhere as the joint is too small. Rose Joints were an option, but would have required welding to either end of the rod, which is bent anyways and all seemed like too much carry on for my liking.

• 2 months later...

Somehow in 6 months my mate managed not to put this through a hedge. He's well known for breaking cars. You know sometimes when something is definitely a bad idea but you go with it against your better judgement. I was promised the rear brakes would be fixed. They weren't. The clutch is about to be unusable, although I think its the cable, and the steering doesn't feel right. But it came back otherwise fine.

Booked in for MOT first thing Monday morning, rear shoes ready to go on and clutch cable somewhere in the post. I wonder if it will ace a 3rd MOT in a row?

26052013081.jpg

Then it's on loan again to a different mate! I've whored 2 Sambas out now, it's making me want to finish the Roller for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Samba Style

Tom's been doing the work my mate before him promised to do.

Sadly a 5000mile overdue rear shoe change has worn grooves in the drums so they are currently eating through the new shoes at a rate, and are about £50 a side to replace. (there are others on eBay for £700 each???!)

Yesterday we put in new rear bearings, the OS is being a pain as the cylinder is seized on one side. A new one is coming Weds.

WP_20141011_003.jpg

It also got an oil and filter change again, and a set of spark plugs. Engine is running sweet now.

Woke up to a text this morning, call me ASAP... clutch cable had snapped so we spent most of today driving to West Yorkshire to collect and then fitting the new part.

So this car is the best it has been in my ownership, some welding to address soon though.

Ahh! DRUMS ;)

I just scored a brace of same for my Savv. £30 delivered, Motorhog.

They WILL be scarce when the balance of Savvs in UK are fragged...

Megga barg, in my eyes

TS

Is it Motorhog with 2 or 3 yards in Doncaster?

Because they are a royal pain in the arse and couldn't tell me if the Samba they had was there still or not, despite a photograph appearing of it in their yard from the day before, despite telling me they were going down the yard to look for it, near the TVR, and despite promising calls back on several occasions.

I need all bloody sorts off it, really I should be looking for my own breaker as a cost saving exercise but we all know how that would end up.

There's a dealer near me who often has interesting stuff and he's got a Samba Cabriolet at the moment. 35k on the clock but a bit grotty in places. He wants £3,500 for it. Does that sound mental or are these worth coin nowadays?

• 1 month later...

Got a knock at the door on Monday evening. It was my friend who is borrowing the Cabriolet. It had broken down.

Had it recovered the following day:

1505007_10152584977527992_17637449380328

Thankfully John in the picture isn't the one mending/ borrowing it.

Chap who is tasked with fixing it thinks the timing chain may have slipped.

Basically it turns over and starts but hardly runs. Checked the easy stuff, HT circuit plugs leads etc.

Compression tested it, reads between 5 and 6 bar across all cylinders (no change there then).

I'm gonna fit a new ignition module first, as this caused "timing issue symptoms" in the past.

Failing that he'll be taking the engine out next week and going from there.

All jack said was he pulled into the petrol station and there was a "clunk" and then it cut out. Jack doesn't know cars yet so that could have been anything from the exhaust (which seems to have come off at the manifold) to simply the car stalling.

• Like 2

Fitted distributor form 1.1 engine, not ideal. No spark, further diagnostics revealed 2 ignition amplifiers had died the new one and the original. Fitted a third, car fired to life.

Dave then took for test drive, came back played with the carb, accelerator cable, peddle box and now the car is FAST again. The second choke never opened up so I lost top end power now its back with a vengeance.

The engine has fell out onto the subframe. Car still drives.

Ordered new engine mount, CV gaiters as they've been on advisory 3 years. OS ball joint is dangerous too so that's getting ordered on Monday and the whole lots getting fitted together.

Not by me after the last trouble I had with the bloody track control arm.

• 4 months later...

I bought my red car as a spares car for the Samba S in 2009 and its still used daily.

This we are buying as a spares car for the spares car. It's life is hanging in the balance really. Mainly due to lack of space. Oh and the rear springs have pushed right through the turret tops.

57_3.jpg

57_4.jpg
  • Like 2

I wonder if the one I nearly bought in 1994 is still around. It was brown, C-reg, and in '94 it had just 9,000 miles on the clock, in showroom condition. For sale by Rodger Fish & Sons in Kelso, I ended up deciding to get a 1974 Beetle 1200 instead because I thought Kelso's cobbled streets and my 19 year old driving habits would soon remove that showroom feel (and reveal how fragile some bits were).

Now, of course, I have a terrible itch for a 205 CTi.

6 Cabriolets TAXed last time they counted.. I've watched them die out this last few years.

2 Styles... the most abundant hatch of the range at one point

Sambahml.jpg

I wonder if the one I nearly bought in 1994 is still around. It was brown, C-reg, and in '94 it had just 9,000 miles on the clock, in showroom condition. For sale by Rodger Fish & Sons in Kelso, I ended up deciding to get a 1974 Beetle 1200 instead because I thought Kelso's cobbled streets and my 19 year old driving habits would soon remove that showroom feel (and reveal how fragile some bits were).

Now, of course, I have a terrible itch for a 205 CTi.

Now that sounds like a blast from my past........  Back in 94 when I too was a reckless 19 year old, I looked at the same Samba convertible.  Was hoping to upgrade from my Samba LS (supplied by Guthries of Hawick)  but there was no deal on a trade in.  Doubt I could have afforded the insurance anyway.  I believe its still around but living in the south these days.  

As a fast approaching 40 year old git, my taste in cars has not really improved much............  Currently driving an Alpine, Solara and a Horzion

9096650530_82265ed9f8.jpg

It looks far too mice to be a spares car. Just weld it up! :-)

Don't know how far away you are but I've an empty garage if free space is the only thing that can save it