Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mondeo MK3 Diesels - are they any good?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 12,491 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

Mk4s are starting to come up at under a bag now, although they tend to be petrols.

Is the 1.8 TDCi in the more basic Mk4s any good?

#32 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 11,343 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

Basically what everyone is saying is that youd be far better off with a nice brown Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol with recent cam belt and water pump from a fat lad in the north.

If you read between the lines.
  • Richard, The Moog, billy_bunter and 6 others like this

831096.png

858735.png

#33 ONLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,346 posts
  • 64 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

The 1.8 tdci isnt a generally bad motor but Most have wet ( runs in oil) timing belt between the crank and pump. This can and does break before its due and lots of people dont know its there or cant be arsed to change it.

Its a derivative of the old 1.8 /1.6 diesel which used to have gear/ dry belt or chain drive depending on year. The wet belt was a move to get better more accurate valve timing to scrape a bloody old engine design through the EU emission regs

One of the funniest things ive read on here - RIP Dave

Brilliant... late in for lunch I fired up an off-brand pot noodle and while carrying it to the lounge successfully spilled it all over myself, burned the piss out of my hand, soaked my phone with the juice, soaked a load of expense receipts I was also carrying and it hit the hall floor and just fucking exploded....it was literally dripping from the ceiling in my newly decorated hallway. The obvious and considered reaction was to throw an immediate, massive paddy and boot the fucker down the hall while screaming, which has made the whole scenario about 18 times worse.

#34 OFFLINE   Stanky

Stanky

Forum Bursar

• Full Members
  • 3,083 posts
  • 131 thanks
  • LocationFareham

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

I once changed a starter motor on a Mk3 TDCI for a mate as a favour, as his DMF had started to break up and had contaminated the starter motor. The filings from the DMF are magnetic and so clog the Starter.

I reasoned that changing a starter wasn't difficult, I'd done several on various choddy heaps I had owned in the past and none had taken more than an hour to do.

I still regret that decision. It took me 4 hours end to end. it can be done without removing the radiator, but isn't fun. added to the joy of the job was that I knew this was just a fix to get it through another 3 months til he got given a replacement car by his dad, who was waiting for delivery of a jag at the time.

Horrible job.

2003 Toyota Yaris

2004 SAAB 9-3

1998 Toyota Celica ST

1996 Nissan Almera GX (departed)

198? Jago Geep (Now resideing chez red5)

368728.png

#35 ONLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,395 posts
  • 84 thanks

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

Quite a few jobs can be a real swine on them. Petrol EGR is a bit tight, 1.8/2.0 electronic controlled thermostat is a pain if you don’t have small hands. Fortunately swapping calipers is easy, which is handy as you’ll be doing it regular. The exchange Pagid ones are better than the cheap Chinese ones you buy straight out.

I’d look for a tidy petrol one, I had a 54 plate 2.0 did easy 32mpg round the houses. Like I say big worry on the petrol is oil consumption, the control rings go but this is more so on the 1.8. Forget mending that, just keep chucking used oil in until it fails the emissions. Used worthwhile petrol units for these are a bit thin on the ground.

#36 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 7,875 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:23 PM

Basically what everyone is saying is that youd be far better off with a nice brown Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol with recent cam belt and water pump from a fat lad in the north.

This tbh.

I can’t see past my Primera (or similar petrol Japanese car, like a brown Avensis) for trouble free beater goodness
  • Jim Bell likes this

1997 R Nissan Primera GT

2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access

#37 ONLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,395 posts
  • 84 thanks

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:59 PM

I’ve always found Japanese stuff at this money to be either rotten (Nissan) or sold when it’s absolutely worn out (Toyota). It’s a shame as I quite like the second shape Toyota Avensis.

#38 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Staff
  • 17,836 posts
  • 93 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:07 PM

As said, be aware that early ones were TDDI and later TDCI, and they each have different known issues.

A dickhead I knew had a TDDI estate and it was rough and rattly but will went well and the only "common" thing that happened to it was the intercooler hose split which kicks out black smoke and loses power. They don't seem to have the injector and DMF issues of the later engines. 

#39 ONLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,395 posts
  • 84 thanks

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:03 PM

They do have a DMF, all Mk3 Mondeos have them, even the 90bhp diesel sold in Ireland. The big problem with the TDDI is pump failure which can happen at random.

#40 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 7,875 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:41 PM

I’ve always found Japanese stuff at this money to be either rotten (Nissan) or sold when it’s absolutely worn out (Toyota). It’s a shame as I quite like the second shape Toyota Avensis.

Yet I bought a Primera for £295 that has been welded up and is mechanically strong...

1997 R Nissan Primera GT

2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access

#41 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 11,343 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:46 PM

Yet I bought a sub 100k Toyota thats tight as a fishes bait box for £400 with full mot.
  • Kiltox likes this

831096.png

858735.png

#42 ONLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,395 posts
  • 84 thanks

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:46 AM

Yet I bought a Mondeo diesel and the world didn’t end.
  • Jim Bell likes this

#43 OFFLINE   bolognasal spray

bolognasal spray

• Full Members
  • 379 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:50 AM

ooh ooh!! *sticks hand up* - I'm a fat lad in the north!

*doesn't have avensis*

2004 Focus “Edge” (1.8 pezzer)

2009 Focus estate (1.8 pezzer)

2000 zx9r C2

2006 Honda IZY HRG 416 PK

1997 cb500

2011 klx 250

2009 Renault Master (diseasil)

#44 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 11,343 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:02 AM

Yet I bought a Mondeo diesel and the world didn’t end.

Me too! Best car I ever had.

831096.png

858735.png

#45 OFFLINE   Craig the Princess

Craig the Princess

• Full Members
  • 3,672 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

Our farmer neighbour had a hatchback from new. They gave up on it when an injector went at 370,000 miles.

They replaced it earlier in the year with an estate one. £900 for a Ghia with history and 90,000 miles.

Filtered through the Heather!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users