Road tax, date of manufacture or date of registration?

Lankytim

Hi all,

I've got a 2001 Chevy Blazer. The date of registration puts it a month or so inside the "new" tax bands which means it's about £320 a year to tax. I'm pretty sure it would've been manufactured quite a while before then, some car parts websites list it as a 1999 model which would mean slightly cheaper road tax as it would come under the old system.

I remember when getting historic exemption on older cars, if you could prove the car was built before the cut off date then you could make your Mini or MGB tax exempt. Is the same true for more modern cars that fall just outside the "old fashioned" under and over 1500cc tax classes?

Google doesn't seem to be helping on this one.

Ta!

29512777_10160415836145436_1511009296542

It goes off date of first registration (ie everything on a Y prefix or later is in the new tax bands) so I think you'd have trouble with that. As it's a UK/RHD Blazer I'd say you're definitely out of luck.

You're effectively asking to have your car put on an X prefix based on build date...

Old Man used to have a Y plate Civic 1.4iSE that was in some silly tax band for the same reason, if the car was on an X it'd have been in the £145 tax band, but because it was on a Y it was emissions based tax and cost a silly amount, £220 or something.

That car/engine/gearbox combo was available from N to Y plate, though some examples on 51s exist.

It goes off date of first registration (ie everything on a Y prefix or later is in the new tax bands) so I think you'd have trouble with that. As it's a UK/RHD Blazer I'd say you're definitely out of luck.

You're effectively asking to have your car put on an X prefix based on build date...

Old Man used to have a Y plate Civic 1.4iSE that was in some silly tax band for the same reason, if the car was on an X it'd have been in the £145 tax band, but because it was on a Y it was emissions based tax and cost a silly amount, £220 or something.

That car/engine/gearbox combo was available from N to Y plate, though some examples on 51s exist.

I wouldn't be asking for the vehicle to be re-registered on an X plate, the date of registration would remain the same. I'd be asking for the category for road tax to go off the date of manufacture as it does with tax exempt cars. 

I'd assume google isn't much help as there's no presentant for this, it's like when the latest changes came into effect last year, you'd have people claiming their car were obviously built before this date, this would affect ye olde treasury to much.