Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Sold

The crying pumpkin.

Sold

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,289 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

Hmmmm...

How difficult can it be to replace that abysmal tugboat anchor with something acceptable?

Not at all bad if you are any good at electricity transport.
attachicon.gifIMG_20170107_110628905.jpg

Been giving this some thought.  Nowt wrong with the Diesel motor - but a pez v8 would be rock.

Trouble is, Rover v8s seem to be expensive for anything any good.  Also I'd need to put back a lot of electronic wizardry.  "No problem" I thought - how about a crate 350 Chevy and make a sort of Overfinch - but then I realised that due to the age it is it probably needs the Cats in the exhausts and I dunno how easy that is to do.  Also I have serious doubts that the various transmission bits could cope with the power - and then it all starts to look expensive.  I'd love to put it back to entirely factory spec but I fear the time/budget won't allow.  

It's a lot of fun to drive though and I will soon use up my 5k miles allowance on the classic policy (ftps permitting of course) - so far only the fan belt has dropped off and since that was outside my Ma's and I could easily fetch another car I don't really count it.

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin"

2003 Jaaaag XJ 260K miles and counting

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez FOR SALE Now with new As owner

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#62 OFFLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 2,855 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

Hows about a Cummins 6bt treansplant....theres a few guys offering bolt on kits to suit the BW transfer box
  • AMC Rebel likes this
2x Vivaro vans.....for now amyway

#63 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,289 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

I think the torque from that would finish off what's left of the transfer box.  Anyway, if I'm having diesel I'll stick with this 200 TDI - it's just if I was going back to pez.  

Would quite like to get the aircon back too - but I think that may be a vain hope.  It looks like a serious system though.

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

#64 OFFLINE   garbaldy

garbaldy

• Full Members
  • 3,846 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationBerwickshire

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

If that engine bay loom is the only thing chopped and an engine was sourced with full loom then it shouldn't be that bad, apart from the noise the auld gal drives okay really.

And on a lighter note you have just reminded me that I still have this insured 😚 best get my arse in gear and find a replacement.

#65 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,289 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

If that engine bay loom is the only thing chopped 

Based on the rest of the wiring I'm betting it isn't :)

I did marvel at the apparently random switch in the cubby box thinking "what hacker put that there?" until I did some reading and found it's the factory fitted switch to disable the air suspension.

Thinking about it, there would be work to do on the fuel tank too - no doubt the EFi V8 has an in-tank pump.

#66 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,289 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Then again, this came up on an e-bay search - too far away, but they are still out there I guess -

http://www.ebay.co.u...c-/272561307501

#67 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 6,400 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

Would quite like to get the aircon back too - but I think that may be a vain hope.  It looks like a serious system though.

There were factory 200Tdi RRs with AC, you should be able marry up a compressor to what you've got with the normal flexi hoses.

#68 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,289 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

There were factory 200Tdi RRs with AC, you should be able marry up a compressor to what you've got with the normal flexi hoses.

Ruddy heck! I forgot about that.  Thanks.

• Hooli likes this

#69 ONLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 6,024 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

It's a lot of fun to drive though and I will soon use up my 5k miles allowance on the classic policy (ftps permitting of course) - so far only the fan belt has dropped off and since that was outside my Ma's and I could easily fetch another car I don't really count it.

You do know that mileage adjustment * on this would involve nothing more technical than a Philips screwdriver and possibly a small pair of circlip pliers ?
  • AMC Rebel likes this

#70 OFFLINE   anonymous user

anonymous user

• Full Members
  • 4,243 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationAbject Poverty

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

It's like Quentin Wilson is in the room
  • Lacquer Peel and AMC Rebel like this

#71 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 6,400 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:46 PM

You do know that mileage adjustment * on this would involve nothing more technical than a Philips screwdriver and possibly a small pair of circlip pliers ?

Yet people say Leyland didn't progress. When I had a '78 Midget I never ever reached under the dash & unplugged the speedo cable while driving, not ever...

Handy though that when it feel off I knew the tacho & speedo needles matched in 4th so I knew the speed I was doing.

• AMC Rebel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users