A Red Rebel Restoration - UPDATED: 14 months of (non)progress

coalnotdole

I was looking through Ebay last week and came across this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _728wt_702in a fantastically inaccurate and misspelled auction. I mentioned it to my mate Dave who fancied having it as a first car, so a plan was hatched to get it and put it back on the road on a shoe string budget...

We went and had a look on monday and decided that it was fairly complete the only bits missing were the rear bench seat, drivers door card and front bumper. Its had 2 owners and and its even still got the factory fitted dunlop tyres!

The Car:

2.jpg

1.jpg

The following morning I won the auction but paid £100 more than I wanted to. We needed a quick pickup to tie in with other time commitments so decided to pick the car up that afternoon.

But first the Scimitar needed a towbar making up and fitting:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

We didn't have any way to check the the wiring so chanced that it would be ok when we got to the hire place. Fortunately it all worked ok.

6.jpg

At this point I should probably mention I'd never towed a trailer before so the 270 mile round trip was starting to seem like a bit of a challenge. As it turned out it was fairly stressless though if doing it again I'd definitely fit a passenger side door mirror to improve visibility on the motorway.

Collecting:

7.jpg

Getting fuel:

8.jpg

9.jpg

Home:

10.jpg

11.jpg

Quick look at the engine suggests it may go again, its full of reasonable looking oil as is the gearbox. plugs are tight but do move the valves are all free. Hopefully with the starter off it should free up.

Not sure about an engine change yet given the chance it may be interesting to get an mot with the current engine just to experience the full misery of 28 bhp.

Hopefully there will be something new to update soon.

• Like 3

lowered?

Not deliberately .

Its about 2" too low at the front due to a fault with the springs, I'm changing them for new ones next week. At the moment It bottoms out on big speedbumps!

I can't believe it was bid to almost three hundred quid, can't believe it was bid to almost three hundred quid,

Yeah I couldn't believe it either It was right at the top end of what I could afford and still hope to get it going without spending silly money. I suppose its the value of a V5 and chassis to someone making a hot rod or kit car?

Ace! Never got to try my Scimitar at towing. I imagine it'd tug stuff pretty well - though I can easily understand why you missed the passenger door mirror! That would be tricky.

Stripped the rebel today right down to the chassis, so heres a few photos.

I will need to get some new steel sections folded so will have a word with the local fabricatior on monday. There are a few holes in the chassis where the battery has leaked and dissolved the underseal and corroded the steel. Its generally in good condition and a bit better than hoped.

Theres also some fibreglass work needed to replace seat supports, cracks around mounting holes, and some areas around the door catches

Pictures:

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Stripped the head off the Rebels engine today and the headgasket has corroded and let water into number two cylinder and has seized the piston, Havent dropped the bottom end of yet and removed the piston or liner but what i can see of the bore is pretty badly pitted.

23.jpg

22.jpg

Considering changing the Liner and Piston or an engine swap if I cant get hold of those.

The cleanup of the chassis will start in the morning!

• Like 1

For some strange reason i can't see the images you have included in this thread :(

However, well done for saving a Rebel !

If you need any bits feel free to ask as i may be able to help you.

If not then PatrickMcrebel and GJR may be able to help you too.

All the best , and keep the pictures coming :)

fast work :shock:

chassis doesnt look too bad

galvanising the chassis before reassembly?

i may be able help with NOS mechanical bits - get your list sorted

galvanising the chassis before reassembly?

/quote]

Will try and sort out a Draft parts list today,

I'd love to galvanise but theres no one local who can do it and sending it away would probably take too long as I'm trying to turn this car round as quick as possible! I Will Paint up the chassis in zinc rich underseal and give it a couple of coats which is how we did the scimitar. Its protected it quite well for the last 45 years so it will hopefully work well again.

Good to see how much this project has progressed in just a few days, glad to have offered my small amount of help on saving this thing. You and Dave seriously don't hang about!

Here are some shots from yesterday

DSC_0292Large-1.jpg

DSC_0294Large-2.jpg

DSC_0296Large.jpg

DSC_0297Large.jpg

DSC_0299Large.jpg

DSC_0300Large-1.jpg

My autoshite wiring diagram!

DSC_0303Large-1.jpg

• Like 1

The internets been playing up for a couple of days so firstly sorry I've not got back to anyone who has contacted me about parts, I'll get in touch asap.

Still even without the internet there has been progress on the rebel.

Chassis Stripped down ready for wire brushing:

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Saturday afternoon Marlon (baldrickthecunning) dropped round and gave us a hand removing dials and labelling the loom. Cheers! :cool:

28.jpg

Body has been DA'd back some more though there is still quite a bit more to do.

29.jpg

30.jpg

With much of the interior removed It became obvious that there wasn't much reinforcement inside the rebel. We are more used to the scimitar which has a significant amount extra steel support so this came as a bit of a surprise!

Essentially on the Rebel the A posts and along the top of the windscreen are the only reinforced sections, Offering roll protection in the same way as a convertible. On a scimitar the bodywork would have A post stiffeners, Sill stiffeners, roof supports and a tubular steel rollbar going down through the B and anchoring to the chassis.

B Pillar:

31.jpg

C Pillar:

32.jpg

We are currently considering how best to add in some safety features that are present in later Reliants.

Finally a last picture of the chassis cleaning in progress:

33.jpg

You can’t go far wrong with a nice sheet of stainless steel, I know someone who had success with a washing machine drum cut up. Whatever you use, lots of holes will help the resin to bond but remember it’s the fibreglass mat that has the strength, not the resin itself. A company called Bighead fasteners do lots of nuts and studs, but if you look at their stuff you’ll get the idea – whatever’s taking the load will be surrounded by a big perforated sheet to allow the fibreglass to bond through it.

If you can make the perforated steel into a u-section or top hat section, it’ll be stronger in more directions. Lay the mat on, daub it with resin using a roller to get rid of the air, and when it’s tacky put the next layer of mat on with resin. You can get special rollers made of washers to get the air out. Try and make any corners in the fibreglass a nice big radius rather than sharp, it’ll separate there and leave air bubbles.

Keep going, it’s a pleasure to see!

Some splendid work going on here.

Theres a dead rebel sat outside McGuinnesses scrapyard in Stoke, or there was when i last went a couple of weeks ago, and it looked like it had been there a good long while.

I would love one of these REBBLEZ, i bet theyre a right laugh to blezz about in, they must be one of the lightest cars of all time with a proper engine and 4 wheels. i bet with a really healthy engine/carb/dizzy you could get 70mpg out of one.

Few more photos as I've got a bit of a backlog of pictures of recent work.

Engine Finally unsiezed but in need of valve's replacement pistons and liners

34.jpg

Valves

35.jpg

Checking the hubs and brakes:

36.jpg

Chassis has had a coat of paint on all the sections that don't need repairs. I'll add a better picture later

37.jpg

Body up for the fibreglass work to begin:

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Attachement for original lapbelts:

41.jpg

Other seatbelt mount, this is where we intend to tie the new roll bar to the chassis

42.jpg

Bits to fix:

43.jpg

Seat supports to be replaced

44.jpg

Rear view:

45.jpg

At some point in the past a previous owner had added in 3 point seatbelts by glassing some thin steel into the wheel arches:

46.jpg

Crack in the skirt at the front shows where the car had had a knock in the past.

47.jpg

Gave the engine bay a bit of a clean up,

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

I'm still one post behind so will try to bring the thread up to date later this evening,

Probably the last update to this thread for a while as I'm away for 10 days or so. Hpefully going to be cracking on with this again as soon as I'm back.

These photos show a better view of the chassis, the start of the fibreglass repairs and removal of the headlining to evaluate fitting a nicely concealed rollbar and roof reinforcement.

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg