The joys of advertising a shitter to the idiot public

retro80sboy

Just presume they won't turn up and continue selling as normal. A car isn't sold until someone has given you the full cash amount. Also, if taking a deposit always state it's non refundable!

Abso-bloody-lutely, though I'll take a decent deposit and consider it 'almost' sold.

Buying cars blind can be a different matter. If something is cheap enough then it's always worth a bash, and as Cobbler's said a lot are worth more in bits if they do turn out to be a lemon. I always think back to the Nova TD I got from eBaY for fifty quid once. It wasn't really as described but it went like an absolute rocket and was worth four or five times what I paid for it in bits.

Getting sick of the old 'I'm definitely having this car' and then turning up with 'I'm thinking about it'. .

I mean, what's to think about? Do you want it or not?

I once had an old Alfasud to sell, around 1996 ish it was. A tired looking but solid '77 1300Ti with a cracking engine, tax and long MOT. 300 quid. Some spoon from Oxford comes out, spends TWO FUCKING HOURS looking over this turd in minute detail, test drives it (and it drove 101%).

"Mmmm, I'm not sure it's giving me the right messages - I really wanted a Lancia Fulvia" says this ginger quasi intellectual fuckwit.

Without saying a word I put the car away, jumped into my 3 month old 164 company car and drove slowly away. To the pub.

Spot on about the deposit. Non refundable or they're not serious. 100 quid minimum as well.

I fucking give up I do.

1: hi there will you take 850,if so i can pick it up asap

2: ok well if you dont mind can my brother come up 2moz and he will do the deal with you,as ill give him the money,i dnt want to miss this car

3: i am going to leave thanks any way

The moment you think you have a sale, is the moment you should realise you're dealing with a dreamer with no intention of parting with his crumpled 850 pounds.

Obviously put off by the scratch on the bumper and the fact the car isn't a 'show car' (as stated in the advert). Dozy Welsh tosspot.

Ditto. In 1989 I sold a Cortina IV (VGN655R) through Witney Car Auctions. Got a visit from the Feds a fortnight later - apparently the scum who bought it had done an armed robbery at Jewsons in Swindon.

I can't imagine Jewsons being a cash business, even back then.

Morons.

You'd be wrong in your assumption. When I worked for Digital Computers back in 92-94 I used to service Jewson's electronic tills and local stock control systems and the till drawers were always full of cash and cheques.