WorldOfCeri's Quality Spottery.

worldofceri

This spot is brought to you by My Bad Back.  Went to a physio just up the road from me, and parked on a side road I'd never been down before.  Paused in the middle of the road while I took a picture but, like a massive imbecile, stalled the car and took ages to get it going again in the face of oncoming traffic.

IMG_3093%202_zpsdshzkv3w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not recent spots:

I found these two prints whilst rummaging in the loft today.  Taken on a family holiday to Brittany in about 1988.  It's taken me ages to figure out where exactly it is thanks to my Dad's appalling handwriting, but much Googlage brings up Place Allende, Morlaix as the location.

The red Renault 5 in the second photo is Dad's!

SCAN0002_zpscg2idlof.jpg

SCAN0001_zpsfkhkinra.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted this Beetle locally.  I got a bit excited as it's exactly the same spec as mine, which is surprisingly rare.  Most '70s Beetles are 1300s and have different rear lights, wings and deck lid to my 1200.  I never realised there were so many subtle differences until I tried to source a pair of secondhand front wings and discovered they're like hen's teeth.  I wonder if this one is still running the old 1200 or the owner's fitted something with a bit more go.

IMG_3136_zpsooppsnyx.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went to the annual Stanford Hall VW bash earlier this month.  I know the air-cooled fraternity have their detractors on here, but this is a pretty good show and is supposedly the best VW orientated concours event in the country.

DSCN2004_zpsnupepbo2.jpg

I didn't take loads of pictures, just thought I'd try and pick out a few highlights that might be of interest to shiteists.

DSCN2003_zpsgxbglzw0.jpg

They always have a lineup of proper early Type 1s in front of the main building, which is a nice setting for them.  Unfortunately rain had turned the drive a bit mushy so they all had muddy tyres.  The uncontrived patina of this brown beauty caught my eye.  DVLA reckon it was built in 1949 which, if that's right, would probably have made it the earliest one there.

DSCN1995_zpsrbmzudxg.jpg

This '53 model was lovely, and an original UK car by the look of it.

DSCN1996_zpsone338wt.jpg

Moar soon, including some DKWs and a Brazilian.

The DKW club had a few interesting cars:

DSCN1989_zpslt4ddcjn.jpg

DSCN1990_zpsunrubk3b.jpg

DSCN1993_zpsbapkorxv.jpg

Never knew these were so unconventional in the powertrain department.  900cc 3-cylinder two stroke.  Doesn't sound like a lot but, according to Wikipedia, power output is similar if not better than contemporary VWs.

DSCN1991_zpsm20kprfs.jpg

DSCN1992_zpsiwk9qjje.jpg

Never seen one of these before;  Some sort of Brazilian-market model, apparently.

DSCN1999_zpsrsh7nvqu.jpg

VW LT Coupe in the best colour.

DSCN2000_zps53n2wgw6.jpg

Hats off to the lad, this Golf was mint.

DSCN2001_zpskjomjcrx.jpg

Despite the fugliness of these I reckon they must make a great family-wagon.

DSCN2002_zpsjarjtv1o.jpg

Never seen a trailer like this before.  Looks like a great/shite* design;  Would like to see it going round a corner...

DSCN1998_zpsrj3dvury.jpg

Not sure what was going on here.  Some sort of Nazi motorised rowing boat.

DSCN1997_zpsgjlf6tcl.jpg

That's all the VeeDubs for now!

*delete as appropriate.

Occasionally, or about once a year (whichever comes sooner) I go and marshal on a classic rally.

Last month it was the HERO 'Summer Trial'  "...the perfect way to start your adventure into historic rallying!" as the organisers put it.  These events always seem astonishingly expensive to enter to me but, nevertheless, incredible fun.  And a more constructive way of using a classic motor in the manner it was originally intended than sitting in a field all day eating sandwiches and complaining about the weather.

DSCN2015_zpsgmfqghsd.jpg

The entry for this year was a slightly disappointing 26 cars, but there was still quite a bit of variety aside from the usual suspects such as Triumph TRs, Minis and MGBs.  I managed to snap a few of the most interest to shiteists, plus a bonus potential calendar shot of the Saab I took en route.

DSCN2008_zpszdiztlsm.jpg

Car Number 1 and eventual winner, this 911 was a joy to behold being thrashed around the lanes.

DSCN2016_zpsdmqvtpt8.jpg

Non-Scotch Volvo.

DSCN2017_zpssfvwsiiv.jpg

Lovely Merc must have been the comfiest car to complete the rally in.  Crew came a close fourth overall.

DSCN2018_zps18lbcnzd.jpg

Petite Fiat Spyder had an Italian/German crew.

DSCN2021_zpsmwu7effv.jpg

BL tat.  Driver refrained from giving it much welly, sadly.

DSCN2022_zpska7njwiw.jpg

Novice crew out in their VeeDub got the beginner's trophy despite lack of pineapple.

DSCN2023_zpsn6dgdjvm.jpg

MG was the oldest car on the entry list and needed a bit of fettling from the mechanics to keep it in the running.  Overheating coil apparently.

DSCN2031_zpsqylwssez.jpg

MkI and II Cortinas were represented.

DSCN2026_zps3w1bwbat.jpg

The Audi Coupe was mint.  My fave on the event, I reckon.

DSCN2033_zpsmc1q9edb.jpg

Zagato bodied Lancia Fulvia is awesome.

DSCN2034_zpsh3ckssdp.jpg

The Lancia above and this Alfa are owned by the organisers and rented out for the competition.  They must rack up a heck of a mileage as they do several competitions every year, plus other corporate events and drive-it type days.  Amazing to see them kept in such great shape.

DSCN2039_zpsgzw5pins.jpg

That's all the classic rallys for now!