Jump to content

ANOTHER Collection Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present you:

 

The fastest production diesel car in the world in its time!

IMG_20260823_144709.jpg.5be4f8c9040e73b911a767127f85e279.jpgIMG_20260823_144721.jpg.da99b0ee9ec98c0ba24820a0500ed4ec.jpgIMG_20260823_144725.jpg.7414d45726f05c38fc026021b0f4f29c.jpg

Yes, it is another D3 A8! In 4.2tdi flavor! Yes it's a barge, yes it was a bargain, yes it is broken!

But I think it has potential, even at 228k miles!

IMG_20260823_150949.jpg.488b2f14bcddd98d6c4c20cfe754ca0f.jpg

We are off on our way home now. Big thank you to @Alan_Green  who enabled all of this by storing the car on his driveway for a while. As usual a lot of these things wouldn't happen without someone on this forum so thank you again!

More about the car when I'm back!

Posted

Ooh great shout! Did the 4.0 diesel come later? Such a bewildering range of large engines in the VW stable around that time.

I'll have to see if I could persuade my GF to have an A8 🤣

Posted

So it wasn't a montego turbo after all.

Posted
5 hours ago, warninglight said:

Ooh great shout! Did the 4.0 diesel come later? Such a bewildering range of large engines in the VW stable around that time.

I'll have to see if I could persuade my GF to have an A8 🤣

Audi's first diesel V8 was the strange 3.3 in the D2 which is rather obscure and not necessarily an engine I'd recommend to anybody. The 4.0TDI replaced it with the launch of the D3 in 2003 although it only stuck around for about 3 years and was only used in the A8. I only just read yesterday that 70% of all diesel V8 cars globally sold in 2004 were A8s though so they must have sold in ok numbers. With the German horsepower wars also heating up in the diesel segment around that time Audi was very quick to replace it with an (allegedly) completely newly developed 4.2 TDI which is much closer related to the 3.0 TDI V6 you see in a million VAG products. Thats the engine found in this A8, and it really was a very impressive bit of kit. I'll explain the hows and whys tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Bren said:

So it wasn't a montego turbo after all.

Could you even order one with heated seats?😂

Anyway, got home pretty late as a mate wanted me to collect a VR6 Phaeton gearbox from his unit. I really don't have any need for it but it was practically free so...

500 miles in total, which turns out to be more or less exactly one tank in the TDV8 with half that distance towing a 2 ton A8. No issues this time either! I'll have a proper look around the car tomorrow. The money the previous owner invested into it is crazy. I also don't quite agree with some of the guesses he had regards the causes for the car's issues as it seems to have full power (and the parking brake makes a terrible noise) but we'll find out soon enough!

IMG_20260823_220822.jpg.2ce3659f5aa4128e10711bc1ab89d771.jpg

Posted
20 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

I really hope its an old v8 R129 SL but there were probably swifter things in class at launch. 

You know if I was finding one of those for cheap I'd probably buy every single one of the, V8 ones seem to increase in value quite considerably right now. I have to get mine sorted!

20 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

Hang on. They did a v12 as well.......

Indeed making it the most powerful and probably fasted GT/roadster at the time! But I don't think there are any cheap ones out there.

19 hours ago, Tayne said:

I think the mystery snacks may just be dehydrated egg yolks.

I think you might be right, they kinda tasted like eggy popcorn.

Posted

i thort astramax van until you mentioned turbot 🤦‍♂️

Posted

You know you made the right choice when you open your door in the morning and get greeted by this:

IMG_20260824_101906.jpg.165f881fe702b43e33254953db9e3aef.jpg

It doesn't look much tidier inside. Lots to dig into with this one, I'll start having a closer look during lunchbreak.

For the knowledgable DVLA people: I use a service called Carsnitch to get a timeline of ownership and reg plate changes (plus MOT history) for all the cars I own. This one has a whopping 11 owner changes, however its the second car that shows a significantly lower number of ownership change events/dates  in the report (plus a missing plate change early in its life). As far as I can tell its usually very accurate, any idea why that would be the case considering all they seem to do is pull the data from the DVLA database? Its also a January 2006 registered car so its not like changes weren't recorded?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...