Jump to content

1993 Peugeot 306 XLD "Liverpool Airport" - MoT passed!


Recommended Posts

Posted

Brilliant news! So glad to see this brought back from the dead. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted
On 11/06/2025 at 20:46, Blake's Den said:

As some of you may have seen in the 'for sale' section, I am now the proud owner of this:

IMG_20250608_132441500_HDR.jpg.54a9ef397c282f43e746b44f0d88ece5.jpg

It is a 1993 Peugeot 306 XLD. That means it is the 1.9 litre normally aspirated XUD lump with no power steering. Number plate is L706STP if anyone wants to have a laugh at the MoT history.

The car was donated to Speke Aerodrome Heritage Group which is based at the old Liverpool ariport. The art deco building in the background is the old terminal building. They used the car as a general run about on the old apron as they have several preserved aircraft and tools/parts scattered around the place. They added the livery themselves to make it blend in with the other items in their collection.

Sadly the car was vandalised and the group could not justify putting funds into fixing the car. All of the windows have been smashed but the group has replaced the drivers side front and rear side windows already. They were going to scrap the car and I just couldn't let this happen, it deserves to live again.

It is on 181k miles but as it is an XUD it is barely run in (as they say!). The engine runs really sweet and there is no smoke or oil leaks.

IMG_20250611_195833563_HDR.jpg.f049bee4e16b2f31857a775a3c4670df.jpg

The interior is quite original but it has had the rear seats fully removed.

IMG_20250611_195830068_HDR.jpg.4bf59d6a932e3c8b2fc6ccaa65d84e2c.jpg

IMG_20250611_195841269_HDR.jpg.683b85923997ac59c058a52807ec1c39.jpg

I've got it under a cover at the moment until I get new glass. I've ordered the passenger side from ebay and they should be here soon. I'll probably replace the entire boot lid if I can find one in a scrapyard. Someone tipped me off of one in Wrexham but I'm going to try and find something a bit more local to me first.

In the meantime I've put a couple of sheets/bags over some of the missing glass in cass the cover blows off.

IMG_20250611_195820816_HDR.jpg.429fdb97e461f8f6e0c6b47a0a49c116.jpgIMG_20250611_195758907_HDR.jpg.9e590bad4631515dd9c1f3c8baea9707.jpg

The bonnet is slightly open as I don't have a battery that fits propoerly!

What do you think?

IMG_20250611_195809441_HDR.jpg

14 months! Excellent work sir 🫡 

Been amazing reading this over the year, you've saved it from certain death! 

Posted

Tell you what... how about bringing it to Runcorn Premier Inn this evening?  It's probably the best chance I'll ever have of seeing it in the flesh!

Posted

And for those who are interested, here is the video:

It features a compilation at the end including a clip of when I first brough the car home. It has come a long way since then....

Posted
7 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Tell you what... how about bringing it to Runcorn Premier Inn this evening?  It's probably the best chance I'll ever have of seeing it in the flesh!

There's an offer......

Posted
22 hours ago, Blake's Den said:

Thank you for all the likes and comments that you have made on this project, it really has kept me going.

I took the 306 out for a drive tonight, thats 25 miles completed today.  It is now considerably faster due to a repositioned floor mat which was preventing full travel of the accelerator pedal. There are lots of bang, knocks and bumps but it actually drives alright given its age and mielage.

IMG_20260910_184436926_HDR.jpg.90b7830fa477c53ccb216bc35837d55d.jpg

There is still plenty of work still to do but for now I'm just going to enjoy it. It really does put a smile on my face.

According to howmanyleft, there are 24 XLD's on the road. Well, as of today, there are now 25.

You, sir, are an absolute fucking hero!

Please tell me you're bringing it to Chodmolestedly next weekend? 

Roy is also over the moon, and we'd gladly arrange to have you back at Speke in it for some photos :)
We do have some contacts at John Lennon too, I'm wondering if anything could be arranged there ... How hilarious would it look in the service park next to the modern airport pool cars!

Posted
21 minutes ago, mat777 said:

You, sir, are an absolute fucking hero!

Please tell me you're bringing it to Chodmolestedly next weekend? 

Roy is also over the moon, and we'd gladly arrange to have you back at Speke in it for some photos :)
We do have some contacts at John Lennon too, I'm wondering if anything could be arranged there ... How hilarious would it look in the service park next to the modern airport pool cars!

Thanks!

I can't make Cholmondeley sadly but it will be at rustival.

I do want to take it back to Speke, I think that will make a great video. If we can get it near the airport then that would be fun!

  • Like 3
Posted

I went to a local car show tonight and made a Peugeot friend. What are the chances of two white 306's turning up?

IMG_20260916_172214214_HDR.jpg.064fc156d4d8a2c6270a685419d07892.jpg

IMG_20260916_183142584_HDR.jpg.bf7e092c3bbc97bfad0881177ba6f43f.jpg

In other news, 70 mph was successfully achieved but I'll definitely need some sound deadening before I take it to Rustival.

Posted

Another small win tonight. The radio in the 306 has never worked, I think that the wrong code had been entered too many times. Also, the longer it was turned on for the more digits disappeared from the screen. I bought another untested radio with no code off ebay. I fitted it and now we have tunes!

IMG_20260919_201609972_HDR.jpg.8d1fb757a4dba0228921c54eeb1431fe.jpg

The speakers are pretty knackered but if I keep the base down it is bareable. 

I did have an unusual problem. The sound was very quiet, when I turned the volume up it got louder but as soon as I let go of the volume button the volume went down again. After a lot of head scracthing I realised that it was down to the remains of the old steering column stalk. The volume down contacts were touching forcing it to go quiet. After taping them up it works fine.

  • Like 10
Posted

Rustival was achieved today. A couple of hundred miles added with no faults at all. Well, no new faults anyway! The suspension clunks are still there so that is next on the list of things to do.

IMG_20260926_102218293_HDR.jpg.9ea3920443b6e9394784f0e842ae1f7a.jpg

There was a lot of interest in the 306 which surprised me. There were a three more there but phase 1's. Rustival is a great show, it is so friendly and there is such a range of interesting vehicles there.

On the return I decided to call into Welesbourne to see Vulcan XM655, I had not seen it before.

IMG_20260926_144223092_HDR2.jpg.f89df22f89f7695c50741f08569bd0ca.jpg

Full disclosure: I used Gemini to edit a big column out of that photo. But I didn't ask it it shut the fuel filler to keep it suitably shoddy!

Posted

Was great to see it at Rustival today! Looks great in the flesh. Such a fascinating vehicle. 

  • Like 3
Posted

Second that. You weren’t around when I came past but it was great to see it out and about. 
 

When you come down for the next one there’s another Vulcan just down the road in Coventry too. 

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Second that. You weren’t around when I came past but it was great to see it out and about. 
 

When you come down for the next one there’s another Vulcan just down the road in Coventry too. 

Thanks! 

I've been in the cockpit of the Coventry Vulcan about 15 years ago. For such a big aircraft they are incredibly cramped.

Posted

I can’t believe this is back on the road!

You flipping mad lad! Congrats!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...