toyota calica 2000st - work started

aled

bought this today picking it up in a few weeks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

this was going to be scrapped so i picked it up for just over scrap value, no keys so a call to the local toyota dealer with the chassis number should put this right but might be a little expensive. :shock:

Awesome! Seems odd to see one on steel wheels, presume they aren't original.I understand these Celicas can rust for Britain so good luck!

the car is surprisingly sound, no rust anywhere on the chassis -some bubbling on one or two arches and some bubbling on the corners of the rear window and on the inside lip of the bonnet, been waxoiled from new. if it was a rustbucket i would have left it there. i haven't seen the notchback celica for years, and yes i am on the lookout for some toyota alloys. :lol:

Love the original stereo.Not sure about the child that seems to come with it...

he is a polish squatter. :roll: no seriously he can't wait to get his hands on it if he had a hose pipe and some polish he would have got at it there and then.- child labour and all that eh :twisted:

Fantastic, I love the stereo too! Being an 80s Japanese coupé you'd hope there was a stereo mounted up where the mirror was :D Do the headlamps lean forwards when you switch them on, or do they only pick out the tops of trees?

as soon as the car gets home it will be washed and polished and then i will get it up and running and take it for an mot, the lights pivot forward.

Awesome! Seems odd to see one on steel wheels, presume they aren't original.I understand these Celicas can rust for Britain so good luck!

i think that they are the original wheels but the centre caps are missing.

Great find Aled , where do you find the time to do all this :lol:

i don't really have the time, but this car is not a massive job unlike some of the imps i have done, will have to pull my finger out on the 65 chamois and the husky tho. my 1972 imp super that needs restoring will be for sale shortly for £500 if you know somone that wants an easy resto and it only has 47000 on the clock.

my 1972 imp super that needs restoring will be for sale shortly for £500 if you know somone that wants an easy resto and it only has 47000 on the clock.
Almost tempted myself at that price :)

my 1972 imp super that needs restoring will be for sale shortly for £500 if you know somone that wants an easy resto and it only has 47000 on the clock.
Almost tempted myself at that price :)
it has the best original povo spec interior i have ever seen really is a mint interior. needs some welding and a respray

One of my old 'cool' teachers had one of these in yellow. Unusual shape, really doubt there's many more left of these in the country, it's as if it completely dropped off the Celica history radar. A four year production cycle.

Hey that is absolutley GR9!!! If you get sick of it PM me. I would love a mangy one of those XT coupe celicas.

don't think this is going anywhere the little one thinks its brill(his own words) it may have an ugly snout(thanks frankie) but it is rear wheel drive and i like it :twisted:

I don`t think I`ve ever witnessed one of these notchback Celicas in the flesh, I only learned of their existence thanks to them turning up in the background of early `90s U.S. sitcoms.

Still got all the info and the brochures from when they were launched backed in 82 from the motorshow including the big plastic toyota bag. Im absolutley positive it should have the alloys on it though, theres still a old boy running around swansea/llanelli in one of these in mint condition silver with the blue bottom half with the laterspec front lamps.....cant wait to see it in the flesh...mate i can see a g3 fest occuring!!!

I remember a 1982 MOTOR magazine cover with one of these parked next to a Mk1 Hyundai pony in a wood. If only the phrase OMG had been invented then! Must have planted some sort of 'shite seed' in my head which has now grown into a full sized MIGHTY OAK of SHITE

Just noted from that piccie that the space cruiser parked behind has got the same alloys on it too......those are the correct jobbies...some driftmeister must have some knocking around in his shed somewhere........

Nice save. I had a drive in an automatic one back in the '90s, a friend had picked it up cheap.

I think it would have come with steels as standard, I have a feeling there was a lower-spec version of the notchback. I've certainly seen a hatchback on steels in France. Don't think any UK ones got the Supra-type wheels.

Some US versions seem to have different rear lights:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8490341@N04/4383883102/

Posted Image

these are the correct alloys, altho i would prefer the supra alloys, if anyone knows for some cheap alloys to fit it let me know.

also does anyone know the pdc of the toyota 4 stud are they the same as the datsun? as i have some 14'' wheels that i had for my 100a that came off a triumph stag.