2CV racing with car #48 - the 2022 round-the-clock silliness in Norfolk...

chaseracer

27 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

I was right there.  The DQ, fine and points were well-deserved.  The driver made the "poor decisions", not the CotC as some appear to be claiming.

It cost a team member the championship, so this controversy is likely to run for a while yet.

My mechanic friends daughter was working for DD and made her cry on the Saturday before any of this “situation “. He’s told me exactly how that car was run all race and as a result why it went through the garages and ended up dq.

19 hours ago, richardmorris said:

some clerk of the course shenanigens I'm reading.

edit, my mechanic just called me. Stewards seemed to be well within grounds for DQing DD racing.  

if you want pics in the mag Dave send some tomorrow please.

I missed all this kerfuffle, saw they got back on the track for last lap whereas live feed commentator suggested their best bet was to finish in the fast pit lane in case they broke down on the track. What  was the actual problem?

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Stanced Yo!

What wasn't captured, however, was the method of achieving -5 deg of camber each side.  It's not factory adjustable, so the method is to bolt on a wheel that has had a 5m length of scaffolding tube welded to it, and you just heave on the bar until you've bent the trailing arm to achieve whatever camber or toe setting you want.  It's a tad* hit and miss.

I was lucky and hit 5.3 on one side and 4.9 the other.  Also managed to get 2mm of toe-in each side by complete chance.  It makes the rear track about 30mm wider too, which might mean an additional 1mph through a bend.  Given how insanely close 2CV racing is, that could make a real difference over several laps.

Does feel rather odd bending the living crap out of a race-car though.

13 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

I missed all this kerfuffle, saw they got back on the track for last lap whereas live feed commentator suggested their best bet was to finish in the fast pit lane in case they broke down on the track. What  was the actual problem?

Something probably best kept off public forums. 

Just now, richardmorris said:

Something probably best kept off public forums. 

The very quick version is that some poor decisions were made.

What is able to be said on open forum, however, was that the initiating issue was a shattered flywheel, which took out the gearbox bellhousing.  The car was pushed back to the pits through infield roads (no tow-backs in the last hour) and the mechanics managed to change a gearbox and engine in about 20 minutes and put it back on the track, which is bloody impressive.

The rest of the incident isn't really for discussion at the moment.  I am sure it wil rumble on for a fair while though.

3 hours ago, DSdriver said:

A shattered flywheel seems a bit random, are they skimmed to reduce weight?

That's probably not entirely unrelated to another problem the car was running with all race which probably entailed a lot of engine braking. But you can certainly get different weighted flywheels. I don’t know what the racing rules for these are though.

18 hours ago, DSdriver said:

A shattered flywheel seems a bit random, are they skimmed to reduce weight?

Not just skimmed... there are massive pockets machined out of them.  The area not needed for the clutch plate (IE between the outer diameter of the clutch and the starter ring gear) is about 90% gone.  The flywheel weighs less than half what a factory one does.

Visible here:

just after 0:50

On 29/08/2022 at 20:21, richardmorris said:

Any reason you’ve gone for square headlamps?

On 29/08/2022 at 20:26, chaseracer said:

Laurence (car owner) prefers them.  Simple as that.  Also, we're the only ones that do!

Also, they're LED units, as are the round spotlights - and all aimed off the straight-ahead to maximise visibility.  It's a bit like having a collapsed supernova lighting your way...

17 hours ago, chaseracer said:

all aimed off the straight-ahead to maximise visibility.

This is worth further comment as it caught me off-guard as to just how far off straight-ahead the lights are positioned.  Essentially they are pointing "toe out" at about 10 degrees from straight ahead.  They light up the sides of the track, and leave the 'straight ahead' area essentially dark.  Drivers need to know where they are positioned on the track.  What is ahead of them is of far less concern.  Plus any car ahead will be lit, travelling in the same direction and at approximately the same speed.  It's a completely different mindset of driving.

Also, why is every photo of me so gawdawful?  There's a good reason I prefer to be on the viewfinder end of a camera and not the lens end...

2 minutes ago, Pieman said:

In other headlight related matters, was the Blueberry Muffins car allowed to keep the googly eyes on its headlights for this race?

They somewhat limit* the light output.  So no.

Also, do you know who was doing the commentary for the 24hr?