1963 Mercedes Benz 190DC Fintail. Now in winter storage.

Dyslexic Viking

43 minutes ago, artdjones said:

In the UK car radiator repairers used to also repair tanks. 

@MrsJuular had her Toledo's tank repaired by a radiator place in Glasgow just the other week.

• Like 1

The biggest problem I see with getting a radiator or a fuel tank done here is that few do that work and the cost is sure to be very high. So if new is available even if it has to be adapted to work I prefer that.

16 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The biggest problem I see with getting a radiator or a fuel tank done here is that few do that work and the cost is sure to be very high. So if new is available even if it has to be adapted to work I prefer that.

New tanks are available at around €1000. So it may still be worth asking about repair. There seems to be a lot of old tractors in Norway,  surely someone is soldering up their radiators.

6 minutes ago, artdjones said:

New tanks are available at around €1000. So it may still be worth asking about repair. There seems to be a lot of old tractors in Norway,  surely someone is soldering up their radiators.

New aluminum radiators are less than that so something that should also be considered. And when the radiator on one of dad's old tractors broke it was replaced with a new one and the old one thrown away and I guess that's what most do now.

10 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

New aluminum radiators are less than that so something that should also be considered. And when the radiator on one of dad's old tractors broke it was replaced with a new one and the old one thrown away and I guess that's what most do now.

Lets just hope it's the o ring or a weeping seam. If its a seam, the sealers that get poured in and sloshed around work well. Of course any rust more than tiny pinholes would need more than that.

2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I've done some research and Mercedes has done some weird things with the fuel tank on these.

What I think is a drain plug is not that it is a filter/screen thing for the fuel inlet. And the only form of gasket this has is an o-ring. So it could just be the o-ring has failed. Picture of this below.

Screenshot2024-10-1420_58_09.png.82b983acce2c60635bab48ac14426316.png

And where this goes into the tank is even weirder. Yellow arrow is where this is screwed into the tank on the underside. The hole where the red arrow points to is where it enters the tank and is on the inside and the blue arrow looks like the pipes to the fuel outlet.

Screenshot2024-10-1420_58_44.png.cf929eb3e629967ba52d24d5ac188091.png

So the fuel tank on these is a lot more complicated than I thought. And I'm wondering how bad this is on the inside and especially the filter as I guess it has never been changed or cleaned. So the first thing after the tank has been emptied is to try to get it out.

Is the fuel tank strainer pictured above not a different part to the tank drain plug you pictured earlier? The strainers have an external threaded hose connection  leading to the engines injection pump. The pic of the internal (red and blue arrows diagram) could be baffles for the guaze in tank strainer.

EDIT. Appears to be two different types of in-tank strainers for old mercs. One with an external connection, one without.

ff2.jpg

ff1.jpg

8 hours ago, Nullzwei said:

ff2.jpg

And is this one I seem to have. At least the part on the outside of the tank that I can see is similar.