Hirst's Sunday "Adventure"

It was going to be quite an ordinary Sunday today, started to wash the Galant by hosing it down, but then noticed I was out of shampoo.No problem, popped down to Halfords and stocked up (also loaded up on other cleaning goodies as they were heavily reduced). Also since I had my "car cleaning" outfit on (scruffy jogging bottoms, an old button down shirt and an oversized Asda "George" fleece) I looked like a massive tramp. Which was a bonus, as they didn't even attempt to hassle me to sign up to their credit card. Although there was mucky looks all round.Decided that whilst I was out on the road as it were, I might as well stock up on beers, so I popped to Asda and got some of that lovely Russian stuff. Also some bread. Cashier there gave me a mucky look too, probably thinking that going to be my meal for the day, bread and beers. (well, not far off)Finally, I decided to go back into the outskirts of town so I could have a look at the abandoned No Frills DIY centre which had shut down a few months previously. The place had a nostalgic charm for me and I've been intending to make the effort to go down and look at it for a bit, so I did. It was pretty much like any other boarded up discount DIY centre, but I enjoyed it.Anyway, all that pottering around had me feeling pretty hungry, so I decided whilst I was near Crofton I'd head over to the Redbeck Motel (where the Retro Rides West Yorkshire meet is held) and feast on a meal of egg and chips. Only 5 minutes away, no bother! Only there was bother, heading up a slight gradient the wheel started pulling to the right, getting heavier and heavier. Car wouldn't reach 30mph in 4th, so I dropped gear to 3rd and it still barely held! Please just be a flat tyre! Stuck my head out of the window and it was not. Bugger.So I pulled into an area where a freight company keeps their articulated lorry trailers. Got out and inspected it the front driver side wheel, a mixture of smoke and burning brakepad smell. Stuck caliper. Lovely. Brakes are not an area of knowledge for me, I know how they work, I know roughly how they are put together, but I confess that I just do not have the skills to fix a stuck caliper. Time to use that breakdown cover I got with my bank account.As I don't have a mobile phone (don't get on with them) I walked down the road for 10 minutes until I got to a farm shop who kindly let me use their phone. The line was bad and the guy on the other end didn't seem to understand the concept of a numberplate that begins with the three letters, but he said someone would be out within 45 mins. The van actually arrived just as I got back to my car, more like 10 minutes. Superb! Friendly and helpful chap who got it sorted in not too long. After a load of pedal pumping and WD40 the problem was resolved, at least to get me home (accompanied with van), but it still has a slight pull, the brake disc is blue and the pads are knackered. It will be OK for me to drive to a garage, but clearly not for the long distance to work.Now time to consider my options for work tomorrow:1983 Daihatsu Charmant 1300 LE: Uninsured1998 Daihatsu Mira Classic Turbo 4WD: Needs new tyres1998 Daihatsu Cuore TR-XX Avanzato R4: No brakesRubbish.

Could you throw the Avanzato wheels on the Classic?

Already played the "wheel pilfering" game last MOT time, that is the price of being tight! I have a single good tread Yokohama tyre, that's the lot!Think I'll be booking the day off so I can get parts sourced. Blueprint do discs and pads so they should be alright, but no luck on the caliper. I can imagine that being a bit of a nightmare, especially as the nearest Mitsubishi garage is in Barnsley of all places.I suppose I could order in some new tyres or re-insure the Charmant, I'd prefer not to do either though. Hmmm.

Buy 5 litres of brake fluid -take the caliper off -strip and soak it. if it was wortking till yesterday -it'll free off- and be better than the other. Just be careful with the bleed screw- these have a habit of snapping off. If in doubt- leave it, and bleed the brakes once re-assembled by loosening the flexi hose union. it'll shift the majority and get you mobile with an couple of hours.Good luck- its not difficult.....

Bad luck Hirst. I had sticky calipers on the Saab when we first got it. Didn't need a re-build kit and I didn't even have to take them off the car. I removed the pads and then used brute force to squeeze the piston back as far as I could then gently pumped the pedal to push the piston back out. Doing this several times got it moving as it should and its been fine ever since.If it makes you feel any better I've had a shitty day too. I'm desperately trying to get Katies Herald welded up for the MOT which runs out very soon. Its all stuff in the boot area and I've done a bunch already but the constant drizzle (I call it Manchester rain) today has sucked the life right out of me especially as I'm doing it on the road..... Then the welder played up resulting in the tip breaking off. Finally got that sorted and the grinder gave up, maybe because of the damp. Hoping it;'s just blown a fuse. I gave up at that point with large gaping holes waiting few new steel to be welded in as I was loosing light anyway. Gggrrrr. :x

That doesn't make me feel better Seth! I'm sure with your welding skills it will work out well though, best of luck to you!Anyway, I decided to make a rubbish day into a good one! I have decided that perhaps this was the kick up the arse I needed to get the Avanzato on the road, so called Vicsmith who is arranging for his chap to come and collect it. Then the work will be done to get it ready for MOT, potentially resulting in a pass. Hopefully then it will become an MOTable vehicle and it can temporarily take over for daily driver duties until the Galant is fixed.Yeah, it's not old and only borderline Autoshite, but it's a quirky and interesting vehicle at least!

Bad luck. Odd that it should seize up after a fair period of regular use.My day was a bit more successful, other than the weather going a bit crap this afternoon. Took the children out in the Accord up to the local auction and autojumble, came away with a small pile of magazines and adverts plus the odd toy for the kids' farmyard. Bumped into Wuvvum and R-Rer Marinanut, took lots of pic's of some top drawer shite in the car park (to be posted soon).There's a nice Mitsubishi dealer keyfob I picked up for you Hirst, hope that'll brighten up your day slightly. Bellcharm Motor Company, 061 number.Driving round Norwich afterwards picking up kitchen catalogues was a bit dull, but saw a few things like a B-reg 505 estate and two Mk1 Fiestas (after seeing a really clean one at the auction).

My day was a bit more successful, other than the weather going a bit crap this afternoon. Took the children out in the Accord up to the local auction and autojumble, came away with a small pile of magazines and adverts plus the odd toy for the kids' farmyard. Bumped into Wuvvum and R-Rer Marinanut, took lots of pic's of some top drawer shite in the car park (to be posted soon).

Jammy so-an-so. I had it all planned out, knew what I wanted from ECA, knew what I wanted to shift (was going to do a stall). But Mrs Pog is back on working Sundays. And I have no family/tat combo transport at present. GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR.

There's a nice Mitsubishi dealer keyfob I picked up for you Hirst, hope that'll brighten up your day slightly. Bellcharm Motor Company, 061 number.

Cool! I love period stuff like that, much obliged!Yeah, it's odd for it to happen all of a sudden. I've probably driven it about 500 miles or so without issue, though on reflection it was probably doing it intermittently with me thinking it was other stuff like the camber of the road.Still, not the end of the world, happened on a Sunday and I got it home without needing a tow. Just a bit of bad luck that I don't have a car I can use for work on Monday!

The Avanzato has now disappeared on the back of a flatbed courtesy of a Datsun fan! Here's hoping it flies through an MOT, though I'm not confident on those old rear tyres!

Ta!Tyres: Nah, not really, just 155/65 R13. It's just I like to order my tyres online and have them delivered, then have a local place fit them cheaply. These 4WD Miras have ropey handling unless all the tyres are exactly the same sort, buying online allows me to easily get hold of what I want instead of turning up to my local place and finding they can only offer me Stunners, Runways or Trayals. However, with my folks abroad at the moment, there'll be no one at home to sign for them and they can take a few days sometimes.In other news, it has been absolutely chucking it down so some of the driveway has enormous puddles, which the Galant has decorated with pretty rainbows (leaky gearbox). Bless.

Alright for some!! There's no room left at the inn!God knows how I'm getting to work tomorrow. I detest public transport, but have used it in (drinking related) emergencies. But with relocation, what was once a short bus ride into town will now be followed by a long walk across the city to the "other" train station (a barely functioning relic) to wait for the not entirely reliable hourly train, then a tiring walk to the office from there. I have sympathy for you lot out in the sticks, but all this is within an urban conurbation - very poor.Still, on the upside I can drink whenever I want. Double scotch for the journey home? Don't mind if I do!

Update: Unbelievably, it has only failed the MOT on two things already known - the rear foglight isn't wired in and the horn is absent! Not bad considering it has been basically sat in a shed for a few years, then punted onto me and pretty much left at the bottom of the driveway for a year. Can't believe it passed the brake test as they were rusted to hell and were in need of replacement when originally stashed away. Quality! Retest to follow. Credit to garage champion Vicsmith for sorting everything out.Having sirloin steak and a load of bitter at a generic Wetherspoons chain pub sort of made up for using public transport. That's the way they should advertise it, none of this "Take it easy - take the bus" cack currently offending me on Magic 828. The slogan should be "Bus travel, it's dire, but you can drink loads".

I've just got to say, Hirst, if the Marketing headhunters don't offer you a 6 figure salary then a career in journalism should be offered to you, I now look forward to reading your witty and entertaining posts which always raise a chuckle........especially when I picture you heading to Aldis in the Charmant in your "Vanilla Ice pose". You deserve success!

Cheers pal! Sadly, neither of those career paths have been offered, as I'm just too valued in my current job. That's why I work more/better than other people and get paid considerably less, whilst receiving no credit for it.Still, when I finished an hour later than everyone else today, I found 2p in a urinal. Karma? I think so.

With many thanks required to Vicsmith, the Avanzato now holds an MOT certificate and is taxed up! Some fresh fuel and it was away, the only problem is the wastegate is sticking, meaning if you put your foot down, the boost creeps up past the stock limits and the ECU cuts the fuelling to stop it blowing everything to bits (I think, not a turbo expert). A mate had the same problem and all it took was a bit of greasing up to solve it - let's hope the same is true here.Until then I can drive it providing I potter around off-boost at about 3000rpm, which in these cars is pretty slow indeed!! Still, got me to and from work OK, can't complain.

Certainly am Seth!! Public transport is both horrible and expensive - not just the fare, but the fact that you can drop into a pub and have a pint of John Smiths anytime you like. Something I did many times.Fantastic to have that driving freedom back in my life. Just got to sort out a few minor teething problems (the mysterious squeaks you get with a new motor) and add "comfort" accessories (tape deck, floormats), but it's happy to get me about as is.I feel quite sorry for neglecting it now, it's been out of action since around 2005 and has been in my custody for over a year, just sat there at the end of the drive with not much done to it. For now it can take over daily driver duties, but when I get the Galant on the road, where does that leave it?We will see. (hides box for racing turbo)

(Plus, if several are consumed, leads to unexpected eBay automotive purchases, on more than one occasion)

Aye. I think OSH was responsible for my purchase of the Bond 875. The Leyland Roadrunner was the result of an overdose of Theakston's Old Peculier, if memory serves (coupled with the purchase of the DVD of Johnny English, which has an entertaining chase sequence between a Merc 814 HIAB lorry and a Daimler DS420 hearse). I'm currently enjoying a bottle of rather nice Italian red that I was given for Christmas, which may or may not lead to me needing to find an Estafette-sized parking space in the near future.

I'll drink anything really. The other week I was walking down the road and passed one of those cut price booze places and they had Tesco Value Lager, heavily discounted! I think it was damaged stock, or out of date. Possibly both.I reached into my pocket in excitement, but unfortunately I had already spent all my change on a sticker that says "If you soil this vehicle a charge will be made".With regards to drunken eBay purchases, I've only ended up winning rubbish like cheesy old 80s car speakers. Luckily.

I'll drink anything really. The other week I was walking down the road and passed one of those cut price booze places and they had Tesco Value Lager, heavily discounted! I think it was damaged stock, or out of date. Possibly both.

You don't mean that stuff in the blue & white stripey tins do you? I reckon you;d get more merry drinking your own wee. The Tesco grot lager in the green cans is marginally acceptable, in an emergancy. I think it is Carling with a different tin. Try to avoid lager wherever possible these days, as it's just too bland.

You don't mean that stuff in the blue & white stripey tins do you?

The very same! Oddly it was still branded up as Tesco too, my experience of those sorts of places is that they black out the name with a marker pen.