Jump to content

Zel's Motoring Adventures...Volvo, Rover, Trabant, Invacar & A Sinclair C5 - Updated 04/10...


Recommended Posts

Posted

Last time I owned a Metro and therefore spent any regular time tinkering with one was 21 years ago.

One thing I despised ever having to touch back then was the stupid band clamp between the exhaust manifold and downpipes.  They're an absolute git to get properly lined up and fastened together, and everything has to be done blind because the sodding manifold is buried down the back of the engine.

PXL_20261001_111026975.jpg.35238656591dbd72d25207d522ac8694.jpg

A good bead of sealant in the groove of the clamp and some patience will usually get it sealed.

One or both of the clamps on here started blowing shortly after we got the car out of storage.  Being an optimist I attacked the outboard one first as it's immeasurably easier to get at.  Of course that's not the one that was blowing, no it's the inboard one that's a bastard to get at.

PXL_20260925_173349994.jpg.a7553b29967e42a884e027475d7484d5.jpg

Coming back to that.  I'm pretty sure given where the clamp is that it was fitted from under the car just to make it more awkward.  On the plus side, I know one branch is sealed now!

The non working choke light turned out to just be a dirty switch.

PXL_20260929_135843036.jpg.448aaf821d306ad6284d6092a19ec5c7.jpg

...Which worked for precisely one cold start before going on the blink again.  That's about situation normal then.  I'll see if I can get in there with a points file to clean the contacts better tomorrow.

Some fresh fuel has definitely helped with general running, though still a bit lumpier than it really should be.

Noticed another very early car difference - the scale on the temperature and fuel gauges is labelled differently.  Older car had a solid white bar in the operating range in the temp gauge and didn't have the 1/4 and 3/4 markers on the fuel gauge.

Pointless knowledge, but the sort of nonsense I find interesting.

I really ought get it back to its owner soon!

  • Like 1
  • Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Volvo, Rover, Trabant, Invacar & A Sinclair C5 - Updated 04/10...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...