Just because it looks written off doesn't make it written off.

cort16

I've just been in seeing about a new car at a dealership. They did an HPI check on my Juke and it came back as being CAT C total loss in March 2016.

ME 1 hr ago

giphy.gif

This of course is impossible as

I'm the only owner

I'm the only driver

I've never crashed it

I've not made an insurance claim in 15 odd years.

I then did a cheapo £1.99 mycarcheck and it reports the same. Now it's not impossible that mycarcheck are just front ending HPI, which why they're reporting the same thing.

The sales guy said he'd never seen it reporting incorrectly before but agreed it was unlikely given the condition of the car and me saying it hadn't been banjo'd

I guess someone somewhere has type a reg no in wrong.

I think I might have to spluff 15 groats on an Experian check to see if the data issue is at HPI or if it's been misreported down from the insurance company.

Anyone any bright ideas about who I should contact to tackle this or why it would have happened?

It could potentially stop this new car purchase but more worryingly may make the insurance company reject the car when I try to give it back.

Here's a picture of a Nissan Juke to remind you what one looks like.

1200px-Hippopotamus_-_04.jpg

Hi, Someone has cloned your car and made an insurance claim?  You may have to get the police involved to find out more details of the fraudulent claim.

Colin

It's not impossible is it? Of all the white Jukes in all the world.

I was looking at a prestige Dacia. I doubt it's going to happen until I can sort this out.

I know the vehicle lookup providers often quite have the vehicles mis mapped so when you put the reg no of a Corsa in it comes back as an Austin Marina. This causes all kinds of problems with the dealers as it often comes back with a different derivative so they offer the price of the GHIA when the car is actually an L.

I checked out a daewoo matiz for mum many years ago, gold hpi check came back clear so went ahead with purchase, I phoned the previous owner to see if they had any spare keys or history, you can't have bought it as it was written off 2 months ago.................HPI saying it takes 3 months to get on the register didn't amuse me one bit ! 

Hi, Someone has cloned your car and made an insurance claim?  You may have to get the police involved to find out more details of the fraudulent claim.

Colin

More likely some idiot insurance employee has fat fingered the submission to MIAFTR than anything more sinister

I'd be writing a letter before action to MID for holding incorrect information after you've told them it's wrong.

With 7 days you need them to a) Investigate, B) tell you which insurance company put the information on their system and on what date and c) remove your reg from the database,  otherwise you will claim £12K* in damages due to lost value.

I would also contact Action Fraud and get a case number.

In the unlikely event that MID actually do b and c, I'd then write a letter before to the insurance company demanding damages.

Did I tell you I'm a bit of a twat with big faceless companies who ignore the public.

I'd end up in the small claims court and win because they wouldn't turn up.

The data must have come from an insurer......logically yours so maybe start by talking to them. If another insurer claims to have paid out they will probably get to the bottom of that quicker then you can too

The MIB is only a trade association for insurance companies and a means by which they collect and share data. Started to protect themselves and then someone realised the value of this data......

I'm not sure how my insurer could register my car as crashed and it not be fed back to me in some other manor or another.

I think I'll start with experian as I paid for a check with them and have a reference no etc.

Dear Sirs/Madams,

Ref: Incorrect information on your database with regards to vehicle reg number ......

I have attempted unsuccessfully via the telephone to get the information corrected and was met by major unhelpfulness.

So let me get this straight for you.

This car was purchased new, and has NEVER been in an accident.

Do to a slight cash flow issue, I wish to sell the car for it's current market value of £15,000 and due to the incorrect data you hold, I have been told it is worth £500 if that.

So I would request you put this right immediately.

This would require you to firstly investigate.  For this I'd like a written explanation as to how, why and who was to blame for the incorrect error.

I need this with 5 working days.

Secondly, I need you to remove the Cat C marker immediately

I need this done within 5 working days also.

If you can not do this I will be forced to sell the car at a £14500 loss, and will make a claim in the small claims court to cover that and compensation for lost time at £650 per day.

You can expect proceedings to start after 7 working days.

On the other hand, I'm a reasonable person and mistakes get made, so feel free to offer a different timescale, if you can are prepared to offer me an interest free loan of £14500 whilst you investigate and expedite the repair to your wonderful reputation.

Please note, I have made the assumption that it was a hamfisted employee of your organisation or of an insurance company, and not fraud, because maybe someone in your organisation might have taken a backhander from someone to legitimise a write off and sell it on to an unsuspecting punter with no Cat C marker,  so I have contacted the Police just in case and have been given a crime number ....... just in case.

I'm sure your investigation will look into this possibility and I look forward to understanding the root cause.

I digress, you have 5 days. On the 7th day I start legal action.

Yours sin cer ely

Dunno if my own experience is going to be any help, but no harm in it. My old Mondeo was parked up in the bay nearest to the entrance of my old bus garage when it was hit by one of our own buses. I came down and tutted a bit, and gave my details to the driver so he could fill in his accident form. The bus company self-insures for any claim of less than (IIRC) £250k, and sure enough within a fairly short space of time I received a letter from the loss adjuster they used offering me a replacement loan car, and asking to arrange a time to view my car to asses the damage.

I phoned up and declined the offer of the loan car as I had another old shitter to drive in the meantime (to the bloke's apparent disgruntlement, guess I cost him some tasty commission there), and said that the car was worth about 500 quid, and was parked outside my house and they could view it any time. I have no idea if they actually bothered; not long after that I received a letter offering me a cheque for £350 in full and final settlement. I'd 'repaired' the cracked bumper with gaffer tape quite adequately in the meantime, so I accepted, banked the cheque and carried on using the car. I ended up paying the thick end of £350 in increased insurance premiums over the next few years having declared the claim to my insurer, but that's by the by.

A year or so later I moved house, and sent the change of address bit of the V5 off to the DVLA. I got a letter back saying that, as the car was recorded as a Category C write off, they couldn't issue another V5 until the car had passed an SVA test, or whatever it's called. They didn't actually say that I was under any obligation to do that, just that they wouldn't issue a replacement V5 till I did. Since the car was effectively worthless anyway and I had no intention of selling it to anyone other than a scrappy when I did decide to get rid of it, I figured I'd just leave it there. I did however get in contact with the 'risk department' of my employer, to ask them why the car had been recorded as a Cat C. After a brief exchange of emails, in which IIRC I sent them a picture showing them that the car had not been subject to any substantial repair- and in fact had had no repair beyond a bit of gaffer tape being applied- they agreed to amend the MID entry for the car from Cat C to Cat D. About 3 weeks later, without my having contacted the DVLA in the meantime, a fresh V5 dropped through my letterbox.

TL;DR? I do think you're going to have to take it up with the insurance database people, possibly going via your own insurer if they won't deal with you direct.