SambaS in AlpineLE Oh-dearage!

SambaS

you sir, are a certifiable loon.

but in a really good way, in how you have devoted time, money and hard work to what some peeps would say are hopeless cars.

i don't as i think they are ace, especially the alpine. Roy Axe did such a great job when he designed that one.

where on earth you have found those repair panels just astounds me.

good work sir, i tip my bonnet to you and look forward to more updates.

When it's done*, you need to drive it over to visit the previous owner, then start smacking him across the chops with a stale baguette. Maybe leave all the filler and rotten metal you've cut out strewn across his doorstep as well.

Oh I dunno, the previous owner is part of the chain of coincidences that's got this particular car to this point. Ok, no money, no skills either but he kept it going nonetheless, it could so easily have been a fridge freezer by now.

i'd take the car back to the previous owner just to show the amount of time and effort that has gone into the car to bring it back from the brink.

if as you say the last owner a lot to keep it going, so he (she?) would be pleased to see that it has fallen into the hands of someone who really cares about it.

you sir, are a certifiable loon.

you have devoted time, money and hard work to what some peeps would say are hopeless cars.

Not sure my father would agree with you. His 'S' plate Alpine, which he owned back in the day, was one he was very fond of. The car was only around 4 years old at the time, but appeared to have been an ex-repmobile. He got shot of it for a Horizon after 12 months as it looked like it had been clocked and wasn't the low mile minter he believed he'd bought. However, he still maintains that it was a fantastic mile muncher. He quoted just the other day that it was 'a far more refined ride than any previous cars' and he even went as far as to say the the engine was 'really lively for what it was.' The fact he then dipped into a 'T' plate Horizon, followed by an 'X' plate Ultra Horizon speaks volumes, I'd say.

While at Talbot Rehab over Christmas we met with a guy who knows the previous owner of this car, I believe he has seen the thread!

Adam, the previous owner has seen this thread when bodywork repairs were started and he was amazed, along with everyone else :-D   I am sure he would be delighted to see the Alpine again, so if its back on the road in June for the Simca Talbot club rally, I will invite him along as he stays close by.  Adam has owned several Alpines over the years as daily transport, the LE being his last.  Thankfully he gave it the best chance of survival  by selling it on rather than just weighing it in when the bodywork got beyond his capabilities and the MOT was about to expire.  Thankfully it has ended up with an most enthusiastic owner and now made its way south to Talbot rehab where the impossible is happening.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still think it just want clear lacquering

Hmm - that would be the quick & easy option...

Would save the hours of rubbing down and hand finishing...

That's a thought, with the time saved you could instead spend four days scraping all that odd white paint off from the underneath ;-)   

I think it will take 4 years !

The engine bay needs doing, the front end and bonnet, the roof.

Also the other side needs one door, one door skin, the front wing repairing, a new inner wheel tub and a new rear quarter panel, plus a repair to the sill, before it can be prepped to paint.

The underneath also needs the opposite side of rear crossmember repairing, Then the boot interior panels needs finishing and painting. Tailgate needs tidying up.

It needs a full new interior using impossible to find material, that was paper thin to begin with. Headlining, parcel shelf.

Also a full brake overhaul, new OSF hub, wheel refurb and 4 tyres.

And all the white emulsion underneath needs sorting out, it also needs a replacement rearcross  beam, and both rear arms...

Anyway more progress made!

FRIDAY

post-5180-0-80133500-1458944989_thumb.jpg

post-5180-0-76953700-1458945002_thumb.jpg

post-5180-0-07479400-1458945017_thumb.jpg

post-5180-0-20757600-1458945031_thumb.jpg

post-5180-0-63468100-1458945046_thumb.jpg

Currently the paint is drying. It may be ready to flat out tomorrow and then polish