what type of oil is used in an electric oil filled radiator?

Lankytim

Sounds a daft question, but I've drained 4litres of oil out of one of these prior to scrapping it. What type of oil is it and could it be stuck in the tank of a diesel car?

According to the interwebz:

'The oil is a diathermic, which is a form of mineral oil.'

No idea what that means, but if it's anything like heating oil and you get caught using it then VOSA take an extremely dim view of such activities and the penalties are the as for using cherry.

It's only 4 litres so I'm not too worried! I just don't want to mix it in with a tank of diesel and blow the engine up or something.

Tim,

The old Xantia Td's would take virtually anything, but the Hdi's can be a bit fussy.

I would not risk it to be honest.

Cheers

- Dave -

yep sorry to say that a pestilence will rain down on you if you use anything other than diseasel in an HDi.

I wouldn''t use it in a Lucas pumped non common rail diesel either!

I won't risk it in my HDi then! I'll just use it for a bit of shite rust proofing or something...

Meh

Ive shoved allsorts through XUD engined donkeys the only thing that did any harm was Hydraflush - it didnt like that.

Started smoking like a beagle afterwards :-(

Meh

Ive shoved allsorts through XUD engined donkeys the only thing that did any harm was Hydraflush - it didnt like that.

Started smoking like a beagle afterwards :-(

Yea but did it run better afterwards? Don't tell me it was used hydraflush... but I supose that what the under-bonnet filter's for! :mrgreen:

Oh yes, used.

Turns out the car I had bought had had some of that "stop smoke" stuff put in it before I bought it - the hydraflush stripped all this away and it smoked like a bastard afterwards, until I put some more "Stop Smoke" in and then it calmed down again. Then I sold it.